Truancy Officer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    On some level if she wants that support I'm willing to give it to her as well.
    I am firmly in the camp that hopes VV woke the Eff up and realized he had some work to do and made things right with Marta and his outlook on relationships.

Outside of that, it seems our world is very short on second chances. So i'll just sit back and see how it all comes out in the wash.

Guy has already done more penance than at least half of the celebrity criminals that have been dragged (rightfully) the last year.

Well, that's just lazy D
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)

Just after Michael Vick went to jail, I remember turning to my dad and saying "He would have been better off killing someone". Soon after, Donte Stallworth - while drunk and high - killed a pedestrian with his car, received a 30 day sentence and was back playing in the NFL the next year. Hell, his team even gave him a courage award for being a " model of inspiration, sportsmanship, and courage "

There's no need to count the myriad of incidents where a player from every sport has done something awful and was given the chance to resume his career after he served his penalty. Voynov has served his time - much more than most who have done the same and worse, if he wants to try to resume his career, he has every right. Of course, every team has the same right to not give him a job.
    Last edited by pepperdine; February 27th, 2018 at 02:45 PM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
    PMD... (ftfy)
    I take that as, "Pretty Much Done".

Dang!

Nobody else wants him? Really??!

Hyperbolic V.I.P.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    355 Post(s)

Dany Heatley got to stay and play. What Voynov did was wrong, but hardly in the same league as killing a teammate by driving negligently.

If I were Blake, I'd make him an offer to come back. He's done his time. Many others have done much worse with less of a penalty. And I'd hold a press conference stating exactly that, and go on to list some of the major sports stars that have been allowed to remain in their respective leagues after felony indictments.
    Last edited by Dr. No; February 28th, 2018 at 07:49 AM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    473 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post
    Not excusing Hardy, but comparing apples to oranges is always going to be a flawed mechanism for making a point.

Those 2 incidents are really not comparable, once you read past the headlines. Also, honoring somebody for 5 minutes before a game is not comparable to bringing somebody back and paying him millions to play on your team every night. Also, don't cry for Slava, it's not like he had to go do his job in the ECHL.

If Blake brings back Voynov, it better be a sign and trade. And I'm not even talking about outrage at him coming back, I'm talking outrage at their failure to fill the ****ing box and move on after 4 years.

apples to oranges??? honoring anyone who has been accused of what he was is more disgraceful.... no wonder CA is in that shape...

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    473 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Say what you want about what was reported regarding Hardy. His daughter joined him on the ice. Gave him support. If she applauds I won't boo.
    she is the victim..she is probably under duress

Have Heart
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)

Bring him back our D would be great again. MKGA!

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    470 Post(s)

In the days after the Voynov incident happened, I said out loud, "never again should he play for this team". If you search hard enough, you might find similar statements from me here. Anyway, for me, he's served his time away from the NHL. If he plays his way back into the league, I think the league should let him back in. If it does happen that he comes back, a presser is critical. He would need to be accountable for his transgressions, and explain that he understands why it's unacceptable. Perhaps even become a spokesman for the cause. Anyway, Dowd is gone; let's get 26 back on the ice.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    409 Post(s)

Another thing to consider about a possible re-instatement is how sponsors of the Kings will react (not to mention the Anschutzs). If there is still anti-Slava pressure, it won't happen.

Bar room hero
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    841 Post(s)

I start by saying in no way do I approve of domestic violence......

A few days after Voynov was nailed for beating his wife I was listening to to sports talk radio show and a Russian immigrant from Moscow called in. He started by saying he did not approve of domestic violence but in Russia it is pretty common, way more so than here in the US. He said that couples booze it up, usually vodka, and it is pretty normal to get physical with each other at times. He stated that in Russia, what Voynov did, would not even raise an eyebrow and he was pretty sure that Voynov's wife probably smacked him around on occasion. He said again he did not like domestic violence but then ended with "It is what Russians do."

Not that I excuse what he did but after hearing this it perhaps make me think Voynov is not the evil bastard we all thought he was at at first. Perhaps he thought this was just normal life. Hopefully he has changed.