Thread: Putin wants SKA to win the KHL title this season. So they will.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2977 Post(s)

Default Putin wants SKA to win the KHL title this season. So they will.

Part IV. A new begining..
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    471 Post(s)

a playoff appetizer

funny stuff.

waxing poetic
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    805 Post(s)

I want SKA to win as well....love SKA.

Last edited by Hipcheck; March 9th, 2018 at 05:24 PM.
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

The Dolphin Cares!
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1901 Post(s)

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

I remember either hearing or reading something from Slava Malamud a while back where he said that outside of 3 or 4 teams, most KHL teams were unsustainable. And they only existed to launder money for Russian oligarchs or as entertainment for the masses to forget their crappy lives. I guess this is another example of corruption in Putin’s Russia. Anyone who follows the news knows that everything in Russia is controlled by the oligarchs & the oligarchs are controlled by Putin. And the KHL is no different. I just hope none of SKA’s opponents come down with polonium poisoning.

Do or Do Not!
    Images
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    935 Post(s)

Who should win? Skapeche Mode, The Aquabats, Save Ferris, Let's go Bowling?

I am the Monkey King, I can do Anything.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tran View Post
    I remember either hearing or reading something from Slava Malamud a while back where he said that outside of 3 or 4 teams, most KHL teams were unsustainable. And they only existed to launder money for Russian oligarchs or as entertainment for the masses to forget their crappy lives. I guess this is another example of corruption in Putin’s Russia. Anyone who follows the news knows that everything in Russia is controlled by the oligarchs & the oligarchs are controlled by Putin. And the KHL is no different. I just hope none of SKA’s opponents come down with polonium poisoning.
    To play a bit of a devil's advocate here...

...while I don't know anything about potential money laundering via sports teams in USA, the strong entertainment business is there for (or developed from) the same purpose, regardless of the fact that it can be profitable for the owners. To forget that you work your ass off every day so you can afford this and that gimmick you don't really need, and that you forget who you work for and why and all the bad things your gov't and people in power do.

Entertainment industry to keep people happy and thus helping maintain social order and easier to conceal the unfairness of this world and wrongdoings by the elites is nothing new and not at all exclusive to Russia and "bad" regimes. The major difference is that it's self maintained in USA due to different system and already well developed market and high purchasing power, so there's no need for direct gov't involvement.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

I tried to find on Twitter his entire quote but all I found was the 1st part, which is this:
    KHL's current state: 29 teams, 2 super-rich, 2 financially viable, 25 poor-to-indigent-to-unsustainable. Of course players want out.
    I couldn’t find the 2nd part where he explains how they survive while being unsustainable. He said this back in May 2017 & the financial situation has gotten worse. So now they’re contracting teams, which is where this story comes in. The good news is Severstal, the team that got jobbed by the KHL in favor of SKA, is not going to be contracted. Another funny thing he said is that a KHL official recently announced that the KHL broke even financially last year, if you don’t count players salaries. Which is like saying that I’d be skinny if I didn’t have this huge gut. Anyway, I think things are a bit different in Russia than they are in America or Canada. The economy is really bad in Russia. There’s massive wealth inequality in Russia, worse than what we have here. There’s also sanctions from the west over the Crimea invasion. And there’s also massive corruption by the government & the oligarchy which takes what little is left in the Russian economy & squeezes out a little more for themselves.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tran View Post
    I tried to find on Twitter his entire quote but all I found was the 1st part, which is this:

I couldn’t find the 2nd part where he explains how they survive while being unsustainable. He said this back in May 2017 & the financial situation has gotten worse. So now they’re contracting teams, which is where this story comes in. The good news is Severstal, the team that got jobbed by the KHL in favor of SKA, is not going to be contracted. Another funny thing he said is that a KHL official recently announced that the KHL broke even financially last year, if you don’t count players salaries. Which is like saying that I’d be skinny if I didn’t have this huge gut. Anyway, I think things are a bit different in Russia than they are in America or Canada. The economy is really bad in Russia. There’s massive wealth inequality in Russia, worse than what we have here. There’s also sanctions from the west over the Crimea invasion. And there’s also massive corruption by the government & the oligarchy which takes what little is left in the Russian economy & squeezes out a little more for themselves.
    Oh don't get me wrong - as I said the financial aspect is entirely different there and for sure team sports are used to launder money. I wasn't arguing that point at all.

If you think about it...a team that's almost in Siberia, in an industrial town where most people barely get by...and a team has hockey stars and pays them millions/year. That was never going to work. And I doubt many owners funnel money into that out of pure love for hockey lol.

There's also the aspect of KHL wanting to get "on par" with NHL, so if they want to do that they have to take many a shortcut to get even close considering the low standard, purchasing power and market potential that they have there.