Truancy Officer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    The yahoo.ca article called them sure fire HOF'ers. I don't see it. I think the HOF admits 4 skaters per year. Statistically, the twins are good but not great. And they could be retiring the the same year as Jagr, Hossa, likely Iginla. Numbers-wise, their case is decent but not sure fire.
    Totally agree. The numbers are really good, but what is there outside of that? Remember that time Henrik put the team on his back and willed them to. . . ???
    We all can recall when Daniel reached deep down and . . . ???

There is nothing in my memory above and beyond for these guys. I'm obviously not a hockey writer, or even someone who watches other teams much.
    What is the case for them as SOLID HOFers? I just don't see it.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    Totally agree. The numbers are really good, but what is there outside of that? Remember that time Henrik put the team on his back and willed them to. . . ???
    We all can recall when Daniel reached deep down and .
    . . ???

There is nothing in my memory above and beyond for these guys. I'm obviously not a hockey writer, or even someone who watches other teams much.
    What is the case for them as SOLID HOFers? I just don't see it.
    Game 4 against the Kings in 2010? Sorry for bringing that up! Henrik earned my respect in 2012 for 2 reasons. First, after Brown destroyed him in game 3, he said after the game it was a clean hit, no complaining whatsoever. Second, you may recall how the Flyers Penguins first round series was pure ugliness that year, shoddy defense, lots of fights and dirty hits (Asham on Schenn). Henrik Sedin was quick to criticize (rightfully so) the play in that series, calling it in as many words a disgrace to hockey. Showed respect for the game right then. Glad he and his brother knew when to hang em up.

Truancy Officer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

FWIW This thread title is embarrassing to our fanbase.

Two-way grinding forward
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Remember this?

Two-way grinding forward
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

I was never convinced that Vancouver lucked out and/or did some serious negotiating to get the Sedins at number 3 & 4 overall that year. I'm sure their families and agents made it clear that they would only play if they were on the same team, but getting both of them that high up? I really think there was some backroom deal-making involving the league to make that happen.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    FWIW This thread title is embarrassing to our fanbase.
    NS: I'll wear the shame of not praising the guys for their accomplishments but when you see an opportunity to make an insetsual joke about twins prostituting themselves in Amsterdam as their life after hockey option that played on a rival team, you take it. =)

To restore my karma i will read all available content today praising them, coo-?

Benchwarmer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)

They're borderline, and will hopefully get shuffled down the list in favor of some more deserving players like Turgeon, Fleury, or maybe even Bernie.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrinderCB View Post
    Remember this?

I was just gonna post that. This is still the greatest thing they ever did!

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrinderCB View Post
    I was never convinced that Vancouver lucked out and/or did some serious negotiating to get the Sedins at number 3 & 4 overall that year. I'm sure their families and agents made it clear that they would only play if they were on the same team, but getting both of them that high up? I really think there was some backroom deal-making involving the league to make that happen.
    They were actually taken 2 & 3

"So how did Burke pull off the trade to draft both Sedins? The main piece of the puzzle was trading Bryan McCabe, the strong defenseman acquired in the Trevor Linden trade, to the Chicago Blackhawks. McCabe and a future first rounder landed Vancouver the Blackhawks first round pick, which was number four in the draft. Now Burke had two top five choices, but he needed to make sure that neither Tampa Bay nor Atlanta would snatch one of the Sedins at number one or two. Burke traded two later round selections and the number four pick to Tampa Bay to move into their number one slot, and then sent a pick to Atlanta to allow the Thrashers to move to number one with an assurance they would not pick a Sedin. That left Vancouver with the number two and three choices, which landed them Daniel and Henrik, respectively."

Frozen Fury JACKPOT!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper9 View Post
    They were actually taken 2 & 3

"So how did Burke pull off the trade to draft both Sedins? The main piece of the puzzle was trading Bryan McCabe, the strong defenseman acquired in the Trevor Linden trade, to the Chicago Blackhawks. McCabe and a future first rounder landed Vancouver the Blackhawks first round pick, which was number four in the draft. Now Burke had two top five choices, but he needed to make sure that neither Tampa Bay nor Atlanta would snatch one of the Sedins at number one or two. Burke traded two later round selections and the number four pick to Tampa Bay to move into their number one slot, and then sent a pick to Atlanta to allow the Thrashers to move to number one with an assurance they would not pick a Sedin. That left Vancouver with the number two and three choices, which landed them Daniel and Henrik, respectively."
    Brian Burke was on Vancouver radio yesterday describing the who deal. Some very astute GMing from a lot of people during this draft. It was, to this day, the only time he ever had his phone turned on during Father's Day at his house.

It was actually the Blackhawks who came to the Canucks looking to acquire pick #3 so they could take the twins. Burke said nope, I'm not giving you #3 , but you can give me #4 . The trade agreement was made on that Sunday but wasn't registered with the league until Friday and he knew he had some other details to work out before he could make it final.

Of course, with two selections ahead, he had to make sure that neither were going to take one of the Sedins. Burke said that they actually initially tried to get picks #1 , #2 and #3 , but couldn't reach a final agreement, so he ended up trading late picks and #4 for Tampa for the #1 overall giving him #1 and #3 . Dudley wanted way more than he got for the swap, but Burke still wasn't pleased with the price he paid.

Knowing that Waddell wanted Stefan and was not going to select either twin, The Canucks and Thrashers swapped picks so they could be selected together and Atlanta could pick first overall.

Overall that was an incredibly crappy draft. Only four players played 1000 games in that draft, two in the first round, and then Zetterberg and Vbrata I think in the sixth round.