Thread: Thank you Dean Lombardi...

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

Why do we always have to look back and blame?
    We got 2 cups no matter what.
    Look forward and see what we (Luc and Blake) can do.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

If no DL, zero cups, so be thankful.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1459 Post(s)

Lombardi was a builder, not a maintainer. Kings fans should never forget what he did for the franchise.
    The lesson he never learned from Belichek is better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late.

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    885 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    Or the Kings could have traded him to San Jose for a first, kept their own, and had one of Miller or McNabb.

Even if Jones walked, it would have been better than trading for Lucic.

It was one of Lombardi's worst decisions. He married himself to players he hadn't even acquired yet.
    You're looking at this with hindsight.

Martin Jones was a backup who wasn't gonna stay. Miller was a prospect along with several other promising defensemen. Lombardi specifically didn't want Jones to end up in the division, and was pissed off to see him moved to SJ immediately after sending him across the country (on paper, for a few minutes).

Now, was the Lucic trade ill advised? Sure. And there were those who weren't excited about it at the time around here. Lucic had the one year left on his deal, so the only way that trade made sense was to get him to re-sign.

But Dean wasn't married to him at that point. He was married to the other long term contracts he saddled himself with. And he was married to a style of play and a coach that had gotten the Kings two Cups. He was holding on for dear life to the team he saw slipping away because he married himself to a core that wasn't looking like it was gonna be able to ride the bike without training wheels their entire careers. So he brought in what he thought was a new training wheel that, by all rights, should have worked.

And this was several month AFTER the Sekera trade, which was its own debacle.

But, in short, this thread is lamenting the development of a guy who wasn't gonna stay in any case, and a guy who was in a group of 3 or 4 of other guys in the same position. A guy who, by the way, was left exposed in the expansion draft and who may well have been exposed had he stayed here. Though, to be fair, in that scenario, then we still would have had either one of he or McNabb, at least in July.

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3871 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hakster View Post
    If no DL, zero cups, so be thankful.
    But are two Cups really enough? In my business, I am only as good as my last show. Pointing to awards and distinctions I have been blessed to receive in the past only gets me something during salary negotiations.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    332 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    But are two Cups really enough? In my business, I am only as good as my last show. Pointing to awards and distinctions I have been blessed to receive in the past only gets me something during salary negotiations.
    For Kings fans, yes. After 45 years, yes.

Ask Blues fans how much mediocrity they would accept for 1 cup let alone two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIEC View Post
    Why do we always have to look back and blame?
    We got 2 cups no matter what.
    Look forward and see what we (Luc and Blake) can do.
    Because fans have nothing better to do. DL did a pretty good job and certainly better than any other GM that the Kings have had. Hell, there's probably 15 GMs who still have jobs that probably should have been fired before DL. Whatever, time to move on and see what Blake can do. I think there are a lot of positives within the organization so Blake doesn't have as difficult a job as some around here think...with the "bad" contracts and all. Blake does need to do some work to fix things but it's not insurmountable.

Other teams do it...why not the Kings?

jom

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3871 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troyvsc View Post
    For Kings fans, yes. After 45 years, yes.

Ask Blues fans how much mediocrity they would accept for 1 cup let alone two.
    Ask Montreal fans if 26 Cups are enough right now.

And, by the way, I have been a Kings fan since I moved here in 1976. I know frustration well.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

When u have a franchise defenseman two top 10 centers and a game breaking goalie , I think 2 cups is not enough . If dean adjusted the same way as Boston Kong’s would be a dynasty

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    No, this core should have gotten 2 more cups. thats how good they were, some things were out of his control like Richards off ice issues and Voynov (who got a raw deal from league but thats for another discussion), if those two guys were still around there would be more banners up there. Lucic and Sekera trades he was going all in thinking he had a contending team who needed that something xtra so you cant blame him for it, you cant win without some kind of risk/gamble.