All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    485 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    I am forever appreciative of what Lombardi did.

But the criticisms of what he did wrong afterwards are valid.
    Perhaps, they weren't the right moves, but the crystal ball of retrospect makes things a little unfair. Also, statements like "to save his job" and "blinded by loyalty" are ridiculous. The former is dismissive of the fact that every move a GM makes is a risk. Any move can be deadly, as can no move. With regard to loyalty, I wonder how many of these saps would opt to work for somebody who has a history of screwing their employees. Loyalty comes with credibility, and the return is trust. That trust how you get the great players interested. The fact is these armchair GMs can barely spell Lombardi, and will never manage a McDonalds, let alone a professional sports team.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingscup4426 View Post
    ...for trading Colin Miller and Martin Jones away to bring in Milan Lucic...for all the trades good and bad, and all the signings good and bad that move right there has to among the worst, if not the worst, of all the moves you ever penned or even thought about no less actually executed.
    Dan Cloutier eom

Hit the net!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T View Post
    Dan Cloutier eom
    I'd be inclined to agree with you in terms of WTF, but the referenced trade was particularly damaging to our chances of a rebuild while being competitive, while regardless of who our goalie was (cloutier or any one else) the Kings would have been terrible during those years. I'd argue the kings would not have been in position to draft Doughty if not for the terrible record during that time, so perhaps Cloutier was actually a great signing regarding asset management.

Myopic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Yes, thank you Dean for bringing two Stanley Cups to LA.
    This 100 X

Great builder, best GM we ever head and we can only be so lucky if Blake has near similar results.