4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1253 Post(s)

A butt end doesnt have to be visible to cause damage...don’t ask me how I know.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    429 Post(s)

Thank you.

Formerly kingjozef
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    348 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    Except it was a punch with no butt end exposed.
    You might be right, but I haven't seen any footage that would allow me to make that call definitively. Could you post a link to the footage you saw?
    If you're right, then Kopitar was definitely be dramatic and that's not really his style. I don't believe a gloved side of ones fist thrown in a backward motion from someone facing the opposite direction, could inflict the power/damage enough to lay Kopitar out like that. I'm thinking it's either a butt-end, or drama, and leaning towards butt-end.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

Except it was a punch with no butt end exposed.Two minute minor, tops, and it was absolutely missed.

Side note, the whining about officiating by those who don't understand the rules is ridiculous. The biggest problem the NHL has is getting it's fanbase to understand the rules changes. They need to aim explanations to the lowest common denominator.

There is no conspiracy for or against anybody. Settle down.
    Regardless if it was the actual stick that hit him (you cannot tell definitively from any replay I saw) there was intent to deliver a purposeful blow to the head. Isn't that what the league is trying to stop? I would agree that the McNabb elbow and this blow shouldn't be suspendable in most instances however if you are going to suspend Doughty on a play that was not a deliberate blow to the head these two acts must be suspendable. They are purposeful blows to the head with intent to injure (why else would you specifically hit someone in the head). Haula even tried once with the other hand and missed then looked over his shoulder to make sure he connected on the second attempt.

If you suspend Doughty these two should have led to suspensions.

In addition, the two handed baseball swing to the back of Doughty's head (that thankfully missed) was also intent to injury and targeting the head that was overlooked for suspension. If by some chance Doughty wasn't able to duck under it and that connected just below the helmet to the middle of the neck it could have been a very sad event. If you want to stop head shots the intent of the action should be evaluated not the result. I would make a guess that if that two handed chop connected and severely injured Doughty that guy would have been suspended multiple games.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

A minute? C'mon, he was up in a few seconds. No need to exaggerate it.
    No, definitely NOT a few seconds...

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIEC View Post
    No, definitely NOT a few seconds...
    8 seconds can qualify as a few, no?
    Watch the vid.

He got up pretty darn quick. He didn't sell it enough.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3871 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooCool View Post
    Well that's what I'm saying. In today's NHL, if you don't sell anything.. good luck getting someone suspended. Sucks how it is today.
    Isn't falling to the ice and howling as if you were just shot by an assault rifle part of the soccer skills that are practiced daily?

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    8 seconds can qualify as a few, no?
    Watch the vid.

He got up pretty darn quick. He didn't sell it enough.
    Did I mix up with another incident?
    There was one time Kopi lie down for a very long period of time.

Hit the net!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GALLY View Post
    If you want to stop head shots the intent of the action should be evaluated not the result.
    This, this, this. also why guys dive because refs wont call a penalty unless you fall, even if the action caused a lost puck or scoring chance the only thing the refs call is visual result. As soon as the NHL went to the double minor on a high stick only if there is an injury, I knew it was going to a bad place. The fact that there could have been an injury on an illegal play means it should automatically be a double minor regardless of injury, and that it is determined the it was an intentional high stick whether injury occurs or not, automatic match penalty.

The players will and have adjusted to all the rule changes, call the game tighter and clean up the game from the intentional plays meant to cause injury, I cant believe the NHLPA would not want this, we are talking about players freely willing to injure another player to prove a point and inflict fear.

Intent based rules enforcement will clean up the game in a hurry, results based rules enforcement will get the chippy players pushing the envelope and playing right on the edge of that line of seeing how far the can go and how much injury they can inflict before it is too far.

If I am NHL, NHLPA, or officials any action that is inconsistent with the intent of making a legal play on the puck or a legal body check with one's body should result in an enforced penalty, and if you have 20 penalties per game then thats what you have and the team that cleans up the quickest and plays clean hard hockey with only legal actions will have more of an advantage and in a league constantly looking for advantages this will clean up in a hurry. The reason players do what they do right now is because there is an advantage to be gained. The advantage to the Knights with both Mcnabb and Haula and their play on Kopitar is to teach him not to play hard or go into those areas. Illegally deter players from playing hard or going to those areas should not be a legal play.

NHL fails again...and there really is no reason for it.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

BOTH the contact and the intent should be evaluated if you want to eliminate head shots from the game.

Just like with high sticking, YOU the player are responsible for your stick at all times. Incidental contact from a high stick will put you in the sin bin....and rightfully so.
    Intent of the high stick (resulting in an injury) will give you a double minor or a major.

All head shots in any form should be treated the same way.
    Doughty got one game for his hit to the head. He violated 2 points of the rule so he got discipline action.
    Had Doughty gone on a deliberate head hunting mission, then the DoPS reviews intent, and Doughty gets multiple games.

Saying only evaluating intent for head shots is a fools errand.
    The resulting contact is first, then look at intent.

DoPS enforcement and consistency is a whole other argument.