Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kings Provisional View Post
    Yes, but VGK got to take it to a couple of higher levels. And as I mentioned before the NHL did not want the Knights to suck for a few years like past teams. I get that, and I did not have any problems with it but it does seem that the League went a little over the top in allowing VGK to start up. And as I mentioned if VGK and thier fans would just be honest and admit this then there would be no troubles.
    Congrats to the Knights on making it to the Finals! Now some questions:

1) What are the expectations of Seattle fans going to be now?

2) Will GMs around the league employ a different strategy in the next expansion draft?

3) How do fans in places like St. Louis feel now? (After 50 years of futility.) Maybe they would like to just start over?

Bar room hero
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeaderFan View Post

2) Will GMs around the league employ a different strategy in the next expansion draft?

3) How do fans in places like St. Louis feel now? (After 50 years of futility.) Maybe they would like to just start over?
    1) I imagine they will want the same type of draft that VGK got to do. Will it happen? Who knows? There are two thing that may prevent it: 1) I heard that behind closed doors some GM's and a few owners complained to the NHL about how VGK was set up, it was over the top and that no expansion team should get to do what they did. 2) Will Seattle have to pay a $500 million expansion fee? If not they probably will not get many of the perks that VGK got.

2) The idea that somehow the GM's all screwed up or all had a brain freeze when this happened is crap. Did a couple make some bad decisions? Perhaps, but for many their hands were tied, they were in a bind. Recall they could not protect as many players as was done in the past. Some teams had leave players unprotected that they seriously did not want to lose. I had heard, more than once and from credible hockey folks on TV up in Canada and read several accounts down here, that VGK got to contact teams about protected players. They would attempt deals to have teams leave some players unprotected, "hey, if you protect that player we will go after......" And it was reported that money was offered to teams to allow them to take a player. Also, in return for agreeing not to select certain unprotected players, the Golden Knights were granted concessions by other franchises.

3) Who knows how they feel and they are not the only team with years of futility.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3242 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeaderFan View Post

1) Seattle fandom would be foolish to expect anything.

2) Most certainly the GM's will want to change some things but the reality is if they want that 500 million and I'm seattle I'm insisting on the same rules. I think you'll see more teams simply stand pat instead of rearranging deck chairs around an idea. In reality how does Pitts feel this year knowing that they moved heaven and earth last year to save murray instead of flower? Had they admitted they were stuck and lost Murray how much would be different? Similarly why did Cbus fixate so hard on getting rid of clarksons contract at this opportunity? How many other teams would have taken that deal?

3) Team owners in other places vetching about other owners having success is par for the course, as will their fans. Does any owner really expect to lose any revenue because of Vegas success? Hardly.

3) No idea

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

The expansion fee for Seattle is $650M.

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2018/2/...-keyarena-deal

As someone who lives in Washington and is very interested in the building of the roster, I'm concerned that either the league or players union will elect to opt out of the current collective bargaining agreement in September, 2019 (although the agreement is not set to expire until the end of the '21 season), thereby throwing the expansion and subsequent draft into chaos. Who knows . . . if there were to be another lockout, the expansion might be delayed, and then there would be lawsuits flying all over the place. (In case you didn't notice, I'm a pessimist.)