4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1218 Post(s)

Kempe was on fire, but not getting the finish. Hoping next year he finds the finish!

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1737 Post(s)

I predict Dave Joseph and Jay Flats will turn it up a notch next season.

The Staples Center Circus will be even more over the top!

....and somewhere during the circus there will be a NHL hockey game featuring the Kings....somewhere in the background behind all the noise and flashing lights.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    427 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Kempe was on fire, but not getting the finish. Hoping next year he finds the finish!
    Kempe will be fine if you keep Lewis and Clifford off his line.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3871 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post

....and somewhere during the circus there will be a NHL hockey game featuring the Kings....somewhere in the background behind all the noise and flashing lights.
    I only went to 2 games this year — an all-time low for me since 1976. And I may not go to Staples at all next season. The “in-arena experience” is to blame. Thanks, Luc... the sideshow has now overwhelmed the athletic contest.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    443 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post

You forgot about the bull horn that covers up the fact the actual crowd noise is actually rather low.

This thread focuses too much on individual players...as are most of the threads on LGK. The fact is that you win in the NHL with a TEAM. The TEAM needs to fix the problems they had such as poor 1st periods, puck mismanagement and sometimes lame power play. All players need to be utilized in the most optimum way possible. These are coaching staff's issues...so they are the ones that will need a "bounce back" year.

The Kings also need to figure out (unlike the Sharks, Ducks and numerous others) that regular season success means little when it comes to the playoffs. The coaching staff needs to do a better job using the somewhat limited learning experience of the regular season into a successful playoff team. I mean, if the Kings had 5 more points this year they would have played, say, Anaheim (instead of Vegas). That doesn't mean they would have won the series so why does it matter if they had a few more points? The coaches need to figure how to use the long regular season as a "trial" for the playoffs. Sutter did it....now Stevens needs to figure it out.

jom

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4468 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    I only went to 2 games this year — an all-time low for me since 1976. And I may not go to Staples at all next season. The “in-arena experience” is to blame. Thanks, Luc... the sideshow has now overwhelmed the athletic contest.
    I agree, the last game I saw in person was the Williams overtime winner against the Rags in the finals. I just simply do not enjoy the experience of watching a game at Staples Center.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1218 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    I agree, the last game I saw in person was the Williams overtime winner against the Rags in the finals. I just simply do not enjoy the experience of watching a game at Staples Center.

Only went twice last season, once for my wife's birthday in October and once for mine in November.

Maybe I'll be a bounce-back fan once the circus mellows out (err, once Luc is gone)

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    689 Post(s)

I still love going to the games and really don't get caught up in the in-game entertainment. I guess I've been able to tune it out for the most part.

They're a finesse team.
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)

I'm joining the "all time low" club. Went to 2 games. That was enough.

Between Bailey smashing a drum in people ears, $12 beer, the terrible announcer that sounds like he's choking on a hair, the stupid games played during commercial breaks, the scripted dump the popcorn on a "rival" fan, the constant advertisements being shoved down my throat (power plays don't need a brand), overhearing "fans" asking what icing is every time it happens, drunk idiots stepping on my feet...I'll stop.

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    This thread focuses too much on individual players...as are most of the threads on LGK. The fact is that you win in the NHL with a TEAM. The TEAM needs to fix the problems they had such as poor 1st periods, puck mismanagement and sometimes lame power play. All players need to be utilized in the most optimum way possible. These are coaching staff's issues...so they are the ones that will need a "bounce back" year. The Kings also need to figure out (unlike the Sharks, Ducks and numerous others) that regular season success means little when it comes to the playoffs. The coaching staff needs to do a better job using the somewhat limited learning experience of the regular season into a successful playoff team. I mean, if the Kings had 5 more points this year they would have played, say, Anaheim (instead of Vegas). That doesn't mean they would have won the series so why does it matter if they had a few more points? The coaches need to figure how to use the long regular season as a "trial" for the playoffs. Sutter did it....now Stevens needs to figure it out.
    It's easy to over-focus on coaching as well. Here's an inescapable truth - you can't win in the playoffs, no matter what system or style you're doing, if you don't have the depth on your roster. There's no question that Blake has even more work to do this summer than Stevens does. This thread happens to be about players (or anyways it was 2 weeks ago), but there's certainly room for another thread on coaching or management, if you're up for it!

The Kings knew that the regular season meant nothing 6 years ago. In the end, it was that outdated belief that permeated the entire organization, and eventually got Sutter and Lombardi canned. Maybe if they had made the playoffs in 15 or 17, they could have gone deep. We'll never know. But it seems clear watching this year's playoffs, that regular season success IS translating into playoff success much more than it used to. Anyways, you answered your own question. 5 more points and a first round match against anyone but Vegas would have made plenty of difference for this Kings team.