Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    443 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post
    Anyways, you answered your own question. 5 more points and a first round match against anyone but Vegas would have made plenty of difference for this Kings team.
    I don't believe that for a minute. We'll agree to disagree here...I don't think there was anyway the Kings would have beaten ANA or SJ either. It might have to 6/7 games but the result would have been the same. So, no, it wouldn't have made a difference, IMO.

jom

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    689 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    I don't believe that for a minute. We'll agree to disagree here...I don't think there was anyway the Kings would have beaten ANA or SJ either. It might have to 6/7 games but the result would have been the same. So, no, it wouldn't have made a difference, IMO.

jom
    I think ANA was very beatable...SJ would have been much tougher.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1737 Post(s)

It's really a combination of BOTH. Poor coaching/dated system and lack of talent.

The Kings are a one-two punch of mediocrity.
    The Kings are built for the past.

The last 2-3 season of playoff hockey is exactly what the Kings are not.

The Kings have a coaching system that is nothing like the elite teams with speed/turn-over/transition game.
    The Kings are old school slow coming out of their end, dump and chase, and grind. (Not as bad as Sutter, but still very similar)

The Kings lack young speed/skill talent. They lack depth. Their superstar goaltender is aging.

I truly wonder if Blake really understands where the team is.
    Luc has his head buried in the sand, and will sell anything AEG tells him to sell, but Blake is carrying the water here.

The team needs a significant overhaul, and a coaching/system change. This offseason will be the real "tell" of what Blake will do going forward. Last season he treaded water. It's time to show your cards, Blake.

....oh, and this will not be solved in a season, it will take many.

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    856 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LAKingSteve View Post
    I think ANA was very beatable...SJ would have been much tougher.
    The optimism you and others show at times like these would be adorably droll were it not so aggravatingly obtuse.

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darby View Post
    The optimism you and others show at times like these would be adorably droll were it not so aggravatingly obtuse.
    Saying Anaheim was beatable hardly qualifies as optimism. They're a lousy team, quite possibly worse than the Kings.

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    856 Post(s)

Saying Anaheim was beatable hardly qualifies as optimism. They're a lousy team, quite possibly worse than the Kings.
    See???

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4468 Post(s)

Sentiment aside, what allows you to come to that conclusion?

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    443 Post(s)

jom

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)

See???
    Kings Bad. No bad can badder than Kings Bad. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    Sentiment aside, what allows you to come to that conclusion?
    ...that Anaheim is a lousy hockey team, or that they are "possibly" worse than the Kings? Neither of these is an outlandish statement.

Now I'm no analytics guru, and they tell me optimism is for chumps, so... for the sake of this excercise, let's compare some shortcomings!

LA believed that John Stevens would be different from Sutter. Anaheim believed that bringing back Randy Carlyle was a progressive idea. Stupider move = Anaheim.

LA believed Adrian Kempe was ready to take over Jeff Carter's minutes. Anaheim believed Ryan Kesler was a second line center. Stupider move = Anaheim.

LA made a few changes to their offense, while slowly, almost imperceptibly, loosening the grip of denial. Anaheim still hasn't figured out that it's time to make some changes. Stupider move = Anaheim.

So Anaheim takes all the stupid points.

The Kings are a better defensive team and have a better 1C, 1D, and 1G.
    The Ducks have a more captainy Captain, and a younger, more mobile roster, which I believe happened 100% by accident. Perhaps there is some sentiment in there. Dammit, you got me.

Still, it is "possible" that either team might have won a first round matchup. And it's not incorrect to say that Anaheim is a lousy hockey team. As far as opinions, I stand by mine. While the Ducks are closer to having young depth, they are further from knowing what to do with it.

Bring on Vancouver!
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1199 Post(s)

THE WESTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFF TEAMS:

Tier 1: Winnipeg, Nashville, Vegas

Tier 2: San Jose

Tier 3: Minnesota, Colorado

Tier 4: (Empty)

Tier 5: (Empty)

Tier 6: Los Angeles, Anaheim

Allllll for hopping on the "**** the Kings" bandwagon (or driving it for years, props to ya'll), but let's not do so to the point where we are building up the Ducks to be something worthwhile. Fewer goals scored during the regular season. More goals allowed during the regular season. Worse "core". Just as terrible with offensive creativity, if not more so. What they may have on the Kings in speed they certainly give up in overall production.

With Goon Squad here. Kings > Ducks doesn't mean Kings are almost as good as X, Y, or Z. It just means Kings > Ducks. Can't imagine a legitimate argument to the contrary, any more so than I can imagine a legitimate argument that the Kings are "fine", anymore.