Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Predictions for 18-19 Bounce Back Players

  1. #1
    4th Line Insurance Policy
    Goon Squad's Avatar
    Karma: 1585866
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,918
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    275 Post(s)

    Default Predictions for 18-19 Bounce Back Players

    I think it's time to inject a little optimism around here.

    This year we got huge bounce back seasons from both Kopitar and Brown, as well as a full healthy year for Quick. And there were different reasons for those, unique to each case.

    Now, of course, that doesn't happen every year. But I have a feeling that there are some good candidates for a big career turnaround next season. I'll start with two of the admittedly more "outside" choices, and leave the obvious ones for others to discuss.


    Dion Phaneuf - what you got with Phaneuf was a player rejuvenated mentally, but physically not quite up to speed when he came to the Kings. Dion could be motivated to train harder than he ever has this summer, because he's finally on a decent team (a team with some pride and culture), in the city where he wants to be. I'm looking for him to come into camp the leanest he's ever been, and use that extra half step to play at the level he showed at times he's capable of. His hockey IQ and creativity with the puck are much higher than advertised, and you can see how he compensates for his lack of foot speed. I think he'll embrace the challenge to up his pace next season.

    Tobias Rieder - another guy who arrived mid-season not quite ready for the unique demands of playing for LA. I think he comes in next fall a little stronger, a little more ready to battle on the walls, and maybe understanding where he can etch out a role for himself. Line combos were all over the map from February on, and Toby never was able to establish chemistry with anyone on the roster. (For a similar example of a player who looked like a total bust acquisition and is now having a breakthrough, see Boedker with San Jose.) It would be pretty dumb to walk away from the speed and skill of a player like Rieder at this exact time and place. (Edit: although I just saw what it will take to give him a qualifying offer - close to $2.5k - so that may be cost prohibitive, we'll see)
    Last edited by Goon Squad; May 3rd, 2018 at 04:29 PM.

  2. #2
    We Are All Champions x2!!
    Mr_Conie's Avatar
    Karma: 2545000
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,276
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

    Default

    I would like to see Kopidor bounce back from his bounceback season because resigning this guy is going to be so hard! Same for Brownie and Lewis. ;()

    Crack kills

  3. #3
    All Star
    NastiMarvasti's Avatar
    Karma: 2294264
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,262
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    809 Post(s)

    Default

    Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Muzzin, and Lewis all had career years this past season and the team got bounced as fast as you can say, "We gave up Jones, Miller, and the 13th overall pick for WHAT?!?!?". I know this is an optimistic thread but it's hard to get excited when it's highly unlikely these guys will have career years again and so you have to hope Kyle Clifford finally develops into the power forward he was supposed to be.

  4. #4
    1st Scoring Line
    Moog's Avatar
    Karma: 2102522647
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,580
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1717 Post(s)

    Default

    Dion Phaneuf: Crazy contract for a 33 year old guy who is SLOW.

    In an NHL that is moving at break-neck pace to a speed + skill game, Phaneuf is going to be a dinosaur....when you mix in his age (he's not going to get faster with age), and combine it to where the league is going.....oh boy.


    Sure, dumping Gabo was great, but Phaneuf is going to give us fits as players zoom around him wide over and over again in a fast paced transition game.

  5. #5
    Just... just listen.
    darby's Avatar
    Karma: 3309644
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    12,824
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    851 Post(s)

    Default

    Muzzin will be healthy.

    Forbort will be better.

    I don't see how each guy from That 70's Line could help but be better. Carter, of course, had the injury, but Pearson and Toffoli nearly fell off the map.

    Hopefully Iafallo gains some consistency in production, though his game was pretty good all season long.






    And since this is a positive thread, I'll leave out the rest of what I'd usually say.


    "Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

  6. #6
    1st Scoring Line
    Moog's Avatar
    Karma: 2102522647
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,580
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1717 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darby View Post
    Muzzin will be healthy.

    Forbort will be better.

    I don't see how each guy from That 70's Line could help but be better. Carter, of course, had the injury, but Pearson and Toffoli nearly fell off the map.

    Hopefully Iafallo gains some consistency in production, though his game was pretty good all season long.






    And since this is a positive thread, I'll leave out the rest of what I'd usually say.
    Good point.....Pearson, and especially Toffoli can't get any worse, they can only get better. (crosses fingers)

  7. #7
    4th Line Insurance Policy
    Goon Squad's Avatar
    Karma: 1585866
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,918
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    275 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Dion Phaneuf: Crazy contract for a 33 year old guy who is SLOW.

    In an NHL that is moving at break-neck pace to a speed + skill game, Phaneuf is going to be a dinosaur....when you mix in his age (he's not going to get faster with age), and combine it to where the league is going.....oh boy.


    Sure, dumping Gabo was great, but Phaneuf is going to give us fits as players zoom around him wide over and over again in a fast paced transition game.
    That is certainly the conventional wisdom regarding Phaneuf. That's why I qualified my take as "outside." The idea of making predictions is to stick your neck out a little bit, which I did in this case by looking for a way something unexpected could occur. I just don't think he's had any reason to put himself through any kind of offseason regimen that would be considered beyond normal. Until now. I mean, if Toffoli has a bounce back season, at this point it's a year too late, and could hardly be considered surprising.

  8. #8
    4th Line Insurance Policy
    Goon Squad's Avatar
    Karma: 1585866
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,918
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    275 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Muzzin, and Lewis all had career years this past season and the team got bounced as fast as you can say, "We gave up Jones, Miller, and the 13th overall pick for WHAT?!?!?". I know this is an optimistic thread but it's hard to get excited when it's highly unlikely these guys will have career years again and so you have to hope Kyle Clifford finally develops into the power forward he was supposed to be.
    Optimism Shmoptimism! I'm cool with opening this up to not just bounce back predictions, but also crash and burn predictions as well. Who will have their worst season ever next year?

  9. #9
    All Star
    kingrussell's Avatar
    Karma: 5777139
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,405
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    419 Post(s)

    Default

    I do think Iafallo will have more of a scoring touch next year and I think Villardi will make the team and have a decent season, but Phaneuf motivated or not is not all the sudden going to become faster. I'm not sure what to think about Toffoli, he was very disappointing, Pearson I think will bounce back somewhat and Carter is Carter. Not sure if it will be enough.

  10. #10
    1st Scoring Line
    Moog's Avatar
    Karma: 2102522647
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,580
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1717 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post
    That is certainly the conventional wisdom regarding Phaneuf. That's why I qualified my take as "outside." The idea of making predictions is to stick your neck out a little bit, which I did in this case by looking for a way something unexpected could occur. I just don't think he's had any reason to put himself through any kind of offseason regimen that would be considered beyond normal. Until now. I mean, if Toffoli has a bounce back season, at this point it's a year too late, and could hardly be considered surprising.
    I get what you are saying, but it's a helluva bet putting money on the double-zero on the roulette wheel.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •