Thread: What the Kings need

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    634 Post(s)

Silly me to think there was potential for serious discussion. Carry on.

Registered Redophile
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    536 Post(s)

Basically it's RHD and LW within the system... There's too many coconut snatchers out there playing out of their natural position...

For King, Ace Whole
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    331 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DRGinLBC View Post
    I still think In n' Out has an overrated burger.
    Possibly, but there is no better double cheeseburger than a Double-Double at it's $3.60 price point. McDonald's Big Mac and Quarter Pounder are both more $ and are inferior. Jack in the Box has the Jumbo Jack with Cheese for ~$2.39 but one less patty and buns from last week. Del Taco does have a double cheeseburger for around the same price, but it's not even close in freshness and quality.

Five Guys might be a better burger but how much is a double cheeseburger there? Right around $10.00?

In and Out still takes the cake overall.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1034 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NotherCastle View Post
    Silly me to think there was potential for serious discussion. Carry on.
    It's a sign of the times. When a sick burn in a meme or tweet wins arguments according to today's media.

Regarding swagger, the one thing the championship teams did that always impressed me was to play with poise. Even when heavily pressured, they would take their time and make a good play. Loser teams would panic and make a mistake. But (and I don't know if the kings changed or my perception changed due to the losing) these days it feels like the Kings play is just deliberate rather than poised.

I also thought that's why the 70s line was so successful in 2014. The other 3 lines would play heavy and structured and then 70s would be playing fast and much more creative.

The roster needs an infusion of youth and talent. All decade long the Kings have had no first rounder or one at the back end of the round. GV is the first can't miss type kid in a long long time.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3017 Post(s)

I have the best words
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)

To build through the expansion draft.

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    305 Post(s)

For sure, it would be great to see the swagger again, but I don't believe it's a catalyst. More like evidence of a greatness that has already hit its stride.

The winning came first, and then the swagger took it farther. But the swagger actually disappeared while most of the old leaders were still here, which is why none of them took it with them when they left. It didn't belong to them. It belonged to winning.

When the winning couldn't be sustained, that's when the scowling faces and the stick breaking became de rigueur. You can't be seen laughing on the bench after a goal against unless you have the wins in the bank. You will be torn down in seconds flat if you lose with a smile. But that smile is the swagger.

It only comes back with becoming a great team again - however long that takes. Yes, they still have lots of ingredients, but it's going to take new success to be loose again. I don't think an injection of Ray Bourque mojo will do it. Results have to drive swagger before swagger can drive even bigger results.

The roster and the coaching philosophy have to continue to evolve, one way or another. Infuse new personnel into the organization or get more out of the existing. Probably both.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    961 Post(s)

ideally 2 wingers who can score regularly and a 2nd pairing defenseman.

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)

The style of play has changed in the NHL. It is still a puck protection league but is now a speed/skill league as well. Use of the speed/skill to gain puck possession and keep pressure on. Rolling four lines that can skate and cause turnovers is what is needed. Youth and speed is what the Kings need and the ability to move a couple of non-youth/speed types in trade would help. Style of play needs to be modified as well a bit to match the new style of NHL.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mervaldez View Post
    To build through the expansion draft.
    This is impossible. Just ask any Vegas fan. It takes years of good drafting from a quality scouting crew, player development in a solid minor league system, a core of players that develop team character, organizational outreach to build a solid fan base so kids grow up loving their team, a willingness to be part of the team's historical successes, solid player contract management to maintain cap space in order to get free agent acquisitions at the trade deadline, years of fine tuning a game strategy... or I guess you can just bribe the league with half a billion.