Thread: What the Kings need

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4574 Post(s)

The Op is definitely on to something, but it's not necessarily "swagger", which seems to be a product of confidence.

What the Kings lack, and this is most definitely not breaking news, is a killer instinct. It was lacking in this group before the Cups, and it's missing now.

Lombardi allowed his group to prove that they didn't have it, identified it elsewhere, had the assets at his disposal to acquire it, and the whole group profited from it. They hoped it would rub off on those who didn't have it, but clearly it didn't.

Now they don't have assets to spare, and to a degree the league has evolved away from that old school brand of "leadership" into something that hasn't really been around long enough to be clearly defined yet. Hell, the last couple of years could be an anomaly and those older tried and true methods could return as soon as someone figures out how to apply them to this new speed game.

Either way, I don't trust this group to be able to put away anyone, much less an eventual Cup winner.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2052 Post(s)

I like that McNabb kid on Vegas.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by waynet View Post
    Hunger. They have to WANT it more than the other guys. Augment that with skill, youth, and speed, it presents a formidable opponent, aka LVGK. The finals should provide an interesting comp, a team of mostly young, hungry guys striving to acquire what the other team already has, successful vets with nice contracts.
    So all these 2nd/3rd liners are more hungry than the rest of the league?
    They have more hunger than the Kings, the Sharks (0 Stanley Cup), then Jets (0 Stanley Cup), and now Capitals (0 Stanley Cup)??

I don't really buy that.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4574 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIEC View Post
    So all these 2nd/3rd liners are more hungry than the rest of the league?
    They have more hunger than the Kings, the Sharks (0 Stanley Cup), then Jets (0 Stanley Cup), and now Capitals (0 Stanley Cup)??

I don't really buy that.
    They play at a higher, more cohesive and consistent energy level than any other team in the league or any other team I can ever remember seeing.

To a man, their "talent" level is below that of traditional Cup contenders, but their relentlessness is more than making up for the star factor.

Call it whatever you want, but that's what is happening.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1830 Post(s)

I wouldn't say their talent level is "low" or "lower".
    You don't get to a Cup final with "low" or "lower" talent.

This team plays to its strength. They have a great system. A modern NHL system. Their coach works his system and players like a master. (as did the GM)
    The team clearly loves and thrives to play in this system.

When you have a great system that plays to the strengths of the players, that skill level will rise to the top.
    A good, winning system, will bring the the talent out of the players.

Welcome to the future of the NHL.

All Star
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    573 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    They play at a higher, more cohesive and consistent energy level than any other team in the league or any other team I can ever remember seeing.

To a man, their "talent" level is below that of traditional Cup contenders, but their relentlessness is more than making up for the star factor.

Call it whatever you want, but that's what is happening.
    I said it before but Vegas reminds of the Kings in the first Cup run. Just total relentless pressure, line after line, with no letdown. And when there is an occasional breakdown they have total confidence in the goalie to bail them out.

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    I wouldn't say their talent level is "low" or "lower".
    You don't get to a Cup final with "low" or "lower" talent.

This team plays to its strength. They have a great system. A modern NHL system. Their coach works his system and players like a master. (as did the GM)
    The team clearly loves and thrives to play in this system.

When you have a great system that plays to the strengths of the players, that skill level will rise to the top.
    A good, winning system, will bring the the talent out of the players.

Welcome to the future of the NHL.
    Agree. The only thing I would add is they did hit on two forwards - Karlsson and Marchessault - who weren't given a chance by their original clubs. Both are legit NHL forwards who play with grit and determination and can finish. Add this to Fleury, who wanted to prove he still had something left in the tank, and you have the Western Conference Finalists.

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)

Question - did the Kings pass on Evan Weinger? If so this is pretty sad as he was the single best prospect I saw in the WHL this past season. Great wheels that presses back the defense from the red line in. I saw that he signed with the Barracudas.