Thread: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Primer

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)

Bokk's been my main hope for the Kings because he seems like the guy with the most skill who may be available at 20. That said, I've read highly varied reports on him. Mostly the take away seems to be that he has elite skill but average skating-though reports on this latter point seem mixed, some of which I assume has to do with what people mean by skating.

Here is how Pronman, who has him rated the higher than any of the other analyses Ive seen, finished his evaluation: "I rank him this high despite low production because of his immense talent, no character flags, and I could see his development spiking as he continues to play high-level hockey."

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

They say he has an upright skating style, which loses speed and stride. that can be taught

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    656 Post(s)

Default 2018 NHL Entry Draft Primer

Well... it's not unheard of that a team has drafted a prospect they didn't interview. But it was reported Ty Dellandrea interviewed with 29 teams. The two teams he didn't interview with? LA and TB.

https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1003004090354413568?s=19

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    656 Post(s)

The draft combine, which concluded today, has the official heights and weights listed. I will update past and future profiles with these stats, but here's the link for your reference: https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-nh...ights-weights/
    Last edited by King'sPawn; June 2nd, 2018 at 07:41 PM.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    656 Post(s)

Default 2018 NHL Entry Draft Primer

This link has the top 25 results in each category. I will also put them in the profile (if applicable).

https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/
    Last edited by King'sPawn; June 2nd, 2018 at 07:41 PM.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)

Yeah, I heard that too. I immediately thought you know who else has an upright style, Jeff Carter! So does Kempe for that matter. he may get the power he needs just by getting stronger. It sounds like he is particularly raw.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    656 Post(s)

I know this sounds like one of those "click bait" articles, but this is a player I know for certain is on the Kings' radar. How do I know? Read below!

Ty Smith

DOB: 3/24/2000
    Team: Spokane Chiefs (WHL)
    Height: 5'10.75 (at combine)
    Weight: 176.1 lbs (at combine)
    Shoots: Left
    Position: Defenseman

Top 25 metrics at combine
    Agility and Balance; Pro agility - Left time: 4.5 sec (t-15th)
    Agility and Balance; Pro agility - Right time: 4.6 sec (t-21st)
    Agility and Balance; Pro agility - Left max speed: 13mph (t-4th)
    Anaerobic Fitness; fatigue index: 19.3 (12th)

Statistics from Elite Prospects
    https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/281814/ty-smith

Performance Charts, Heat Map, and Goals/Shots map:
    http://prospect-stats.com/player/26631

Highlight video

The good: There's a new wave in the NHL, where smaller, skilled defenders have a higher chance at success. Smith has a lot of skill, able to shoot the puck through traffic while also having good patience with the puck. He also is a very well liked guy (more on that later). He was third on his team in overall scoring, scoring 73 points in 69 games (yes, over a point/game for a defenseman in his draft year). He was second among all defensemen in the WHL in scoring.

The concerns: Even though skill is reigning supreme in the NHL, there are still questions about how a smaller defenseman will be able to defend against bigger players crashing the net. As you saw in his combine results, he wasn't in the top 25 in any strength metric.

Overall: This is a player who has a lot of ties to the organization. If you paid attention to the team, he is on the same team as Kings prospect Jaret Anderson-Dolan. If you watched the highlight video posted, you will see him and Anderson-Dolan working the offense very well together. When the combine was streaming today, they had talked a bit about Smith; they said the executives love this guy and they realize they keep him in the office way too long when they realize they need to kick him out. Furthermore, Ty Smith still keeps correspondence with Kings assistant coach Don Nachbaur, who was his coach last year before joining the Kings.

That being said, there's a slim chance he falls to the Kings at 20. The lowest he's ranked is by Craig Button and ISS, who both put him at 19. He's ranked as high as 8th. If the Kings love him enough, they may move up and try to draft him, but I would be shocked if he fell to 20th (then again, many mocks had Vilardi rated between 3 and 5 last year, and he fell to 11).
    Last edited by King'sPawn; June 5th, 2018 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Date of birth added

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    656 Post(s)

He's been brought up in this thread, he's been drafted in some mock drafts. Many people feel he would be a good fit for the Kings because... more "clickbait"; read below

Serron Noel

DOB: 8/8/2000
    Team: Oshawa Generals (OHL)
    Height: 6'5 (at combine)
    Weight: 203.5 lbs (at combine)
    Shoots: Right
    Position: Right Wing

Anthropometry; Wingspan: 77.25 in (t-15th)
    Force Plate; Jump Squat: 18.08 in (14th)

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...88/serron-noel

http://prospect-stats.com/player/15708

Highlight video

The good: The numbers say it all. 6'5, 200+ lbs, and yet, not even good metrics (yet) in any strength tests. This is a big player who has a lot of potential, could grow to be very strong, and could fill the need as a right wing sniper. For a big guy, he does have decent straight away speed.

The concerns: A lot of this is based on the one game I saw in the Shift by Shift which was created (and linked above). There's a lot that stands out in a negative way; first of all, it's not unusual for bigger guys, but he's not agile as a skater. The bigger red flag to me, however, is the overall lack of purpose and engagement he shows. In most of the video, he constantly waits for the puck to come to him, at least more often than not. His puck management skills (such as handling and passing) aren't very effective, either.

Overall: Serron Noel is one of those very raw players, and you're banking on qualities you can't teach (size) to mitigate and supplement skills you can teach. Maybe when the Kings had a better use for bigger players in the past, they could take a chance on him. I just think there will be better options at 20th overall.
    Last edited by King'sPawn; June 5th, 2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Date of birth added

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    656 Post(s)

K'Andre Miller

DOB: 1/21/2000
    Team: US National Team Development Program
    Height: 6'3.25 (at combine)
    Weight: 198.48 lbs (at combine)
    Shoots: Left
    Position: Defense

Agility & Balance: Pro Agility - Left time: 4.5 sec (t-15th)
    Agility & Balance: Pro Agility - Left Max speed: 12.2 mph (t-23rd)
    Anthropometry: Wing Span: 79.75 in (6th)
    Force Plate: Vertical Jump: 23.98 in (4th)
    Force Plate: No Arm Jump: 19.19 in (11th)
    Musculoskeletal: Bench Press 50% of Body Weight – Power: 6.57 w/kg (22nd)
    Musculoskeletal: Left Hand Grip: 170 lbs (1st)
    Musculoskeletal: Right Hand Grip: 180 lbs (1st)
    Musculoskeletal: Pull-Ups Consecutive: 10 (t-23rd)
    Musculoskeletal: Standing Long Jump: 113.5 in (t-4th)

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...k-andre-miller

http://prospect-stats.com/player/23050

Highlight video

The good: The combine numbers paint a pretty good picture of what sort of player you're getting. Big, reach, strong, and explosive. He's also committed to a fairly good college program in Wisconsin. There's a lot of developmental upside for a player who is still learning the game.

The concerns: He is one of the few forwards converted to defense. Many times, it doesn't work. A bigger concern however, is he hasn't put up eye-popping numbers despite all of his strength and metrics. Meaning, we can't expect him to grow too much stronger, so we're going to have to count on him to develop savvy and confidence alone to watch him grow. That may not concern people much, but one of the things to come out of the combine is when there's a player who puts up great numbers even though they weren't in great shape, there's so much more to look forward to when they develop that strength. With Miller, his numbers don't stand out too much, and we already see his performance with that good physical shape... so the long and short of it is, there may be limited upside.

Overall: Even though he doesn't have the highest upside, there's still some there. He's a very safe pick both from a strength and developmental standpoint where he would benefit the Kings to take him at 20.
    Last edited by King'sPawn; June 5th, 2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Date of birth added

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)

Thanks King's Pawn, this is great stuff!

You are probably aware of this but it might be helpful for others--a master list of all the rankings to see who is ranked where and implicitly who may be around for us.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2018-draft...draft-rankings

On Ty Smith: He's at 19 by a couple of other services and the lowest I see is Pronman who has him at 21. Seems like his median spot is about 14. But there is a chance!

I bet we will see someone highly ranked fall to us. Not in a Vilardi kind of way (from top 5) to 13 but from maybe top 8-12. There is so much variability in these rankings after about 6-8.

Examples: Merkley is #8 in one and #25 in another, Kotkaniemi is #4 in one and as low as #19 another, and some of the guys Im really intrigued by like Kravstov, Ylonen, Kupari, go from anywhere around 12 to unranked. Some of these spreads are driven by guys Pronman has really high that others dont (e.g., he has Bokk at #8 while no one else has him above 17), but even taking his rankings out there is a lot of variability.