Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    Here's a familiar name, who I also imagine would be a good fit for the Kings:

Riley Sutter

DOB: 10/25/1999
    Team: Everett Silvertips (WHL)
    Height: 6'3 (at the combine)
    Weight: 203 lbs (at the combine)
    Shoots: Right
    Position: Right Wing

Top 25 metrics at combine
    Anthropometry: Wing Span - 77.75 in (12th)
    Musculoskeletal: Left Hand Grip - 155 lbs (t-5th)
    Musculoskeletal: Right Hand Grip - 150 lbs (t-17th)

Statistics from Elite Prospects
    https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...7/riley-sutter

Performance Charts, Heat Map, and Goals/Shots map:
    http://prospect-stats.com/player/26527

Highlight video

The good: There's the familiar Sutter name, and you know what brand of hockey they bring. This one is no different. Riley, the son of Ron (and nephew of former Kings head coach Darryl) brings a strong work ethic, on top of his size, to play hockey the right way. He put up 53 points on a stacked, albeit defensively responsible team (Everett had dominated the league in goals against; they led the league with 167 goals against... the second place team? 213 goals against). To put up those numbers with that kind of stingy defense (plus a great goaltending prospect in Carter Hart) shows a lot of utility and hope at the next level.

The concerns: The biggest knocks I've read on him is his poor skating and his tendency to leave scouts wanting more, sometimes remarking on how lethargic he looks.

Overall: He doesn't get ranked very high (HP has him 78th overall, FC has him 100th). So, he could probably be had between the 3rd and 5th round. You know what you're getting in a player like that, and while not all the Sutters have been NHLers, they do provide a lot of depth in an organization.
    I have seen Sutter a lot over the last 3 years. While I was overwhelmingly in favor the Kings moving towards him for two years I am no longer thinking this way. If he doesn't improve and work on his skating he isn't going to be any more then a #3 or #4 line center and he will even have to work tremendously on his faceoff's to achieve that. Great size and good poise with the puck but unless he is with dominant wings he definitely leaves something on the ice as scouts have mentioned. He was paired with Connor Dewar (this guy is the real deal and could be a very good 2nd or 3rd round draftee) most of his career and they were both middling. This could've been a result of Kevin Constantine's overly defensive system. Everett got a new HC this year that went to a skating, up-tempo game that may make them the new Portland of the WHL churning out NHL scoring prospects in the future. Sutter has good size and will fill out to a good NHL body. Decent straight line skater but doesn't have high end speed or glide. He does love to take the body and uses his own to stand in the slot on the PP and get tap ins. Everett went and got Garrett Pilon (son of long time NHL d-man Rich) at the trade deadline this season and then they had a lethal first line with Sutter, Pilon and Dewar. They did a lot of cross ice breakouts that allowed Pilon and Dewar to use their speed wide with Sutter trailing to grab rebounds and deposit them in the net or look to his wings.

The one thing about Riley is he has that Sutter name and work ethic that will help him at the next level. I am not sure he is a first rounder but he will definitely help a team just probably not on the number one or number two line.
    Last edited by roenick; June 11th, 2018 at 12:15 PM.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)

Here is a true sleeper if there ever was one:

Bulat Shafigullin

DOB: 12/29/99
    Team: Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik (MHL)
    Height: 6'0 (per EliteProspects)
    Weight: 165 lbs (per Elite Prospects)
    Shoots: Left
    Position: Forward

Did not attend

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...at-shafigullin

None available

Highlight video

The good: First, the good of what is known; he has good size. He scores at a pretty exceptional rate; in the MHL (the KHL's equivalent of the minor league), he put up the highest points per game as an 18 year-old. He only played 22 games, but 38 points is nothing to sneeze at. In those 22 games, he scored 20 goals(!). He also put up 15 points in 9 playoff games in the MHL.

The concerns: There are several question marks. On the ice, he is reported to have made some questionable decisions (the Black Book said he had done things like do a drop pass on a breakaway where he had separation from the defender). As with many young forwards who love to score, his commitment to defense is lacking. Off the ice, there's no understanding of his eagerness to play in the NHL, so it's another one of those buyer's beware issues.

Overall: This kid is all over the place in terms of rankings. He's a power forward who can score, so the people who rate him think he has a lot to offer. Black Book has him 56th overall. Future Considerations has him 133rd. Central Scouting doesn't even have him ranked out of 130+ European skaters (then again, Central Scouting didn't have Wayne Simmonds ranked in North American skaters at all). LWOS has him ranked 63rd. He is very much under the radar in many ways, and for a team wanting to go based on raw talent and feel like they'd be willing to work out the kinks in his defensive game, he sounds like a steal from the 3rd round on.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

Ok my first round sleeper for the Kings ......Kirill Marchenko. Is there a more consistent MO for the Kings than a big kid whose main weakness is ...their skating? In this case its a large power forward who is supremely skilled with the puck, and very athletic. He is an awkward skater but already fast. His rankings are all over the map due to mediocre production, awkward skating, and presumably his Russian pedigree. Wheeler has him at 58, pronman at 18 and the Black Book at 26.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Ice View Post
    Ok my first round sleeper for the Kings ......Kirill Marchenko. Is there a more consistent MO for the Kings than a big kid whose main weakness is ...their skating? In this case its a large power forward who is supremely skilled with the puck, and very athletic. He is an awkward skater but already fast. His rankings are all over the map due to mediocre production, awkward skating, and presumably his Russian pedigree. Wheeler has him at 58, pronman at 18 and the Black Book at 26.
    I think what's more concerning than his mediocre production is his year-to-year decrease in production. In 16/17, he scored 26 points in 29 games, which is phenomenal. This year, he dropped to 16 points in 31 games in the same league.

Granted, against his peers he put up great numbers 6 points in 5 U-18 games, as well as 7 points in 8 playoff games, but regression in scoring in the same league, without injury, raises a few questions.

I still would be happy to see the Kings grab him. But I wouldn't grab him higher than the 2nd round based on what I know and have read.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)

Just as an exercise in duality and keeping in mind the delicate sensitivities of the perception of people who openly mock teenage boys are there any guys that are *ahem* red flags that still raise a scouts eyebrow?

side note: of all the players mentioned, Gregorio Denisenko has the best hockey name of the lot. he kind of sounds like a person whose hobbies include eating glass and tearing phone books in half. think: the guy that fought Indiana Jones by the plane in Raiders. =)

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    Just as an exercise in duality and keeping in mind the delicate sensitivities of the perception of people who openly mock teenage boys are there any guys that are *ahem* red flags that still raise a scouts eyebrow?

side note: of all the players mentioned, Gregorio Denisenko has the best hockey name of the lot. he kind of sounds like a person whose hobbies include eating glass and tearing phone books in half. think: the guy that fought Indiana Jones by the plane in Raiders. =)
    Ryan Merkley has the most red flags. He has shown no commitment to defense, gives up on plays, and has reported attitude problems from multiple sources.

I agree Denisenko sounds like a cool name. I still think Shafigullin sounds better

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    Ryan Merkley has the most red flags. He has shown no commitment to defense, gives up on plays, and has reported attitude problems from multiple sources.

I agree Denisenko sounds like a cool name. I still think Shafigullin sounds better
    yes, yes to all of that but are his tattoos obscene?
    [kidding] thx.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)

I'm going to do one more profile today. Then I will not be available over the weekend due a road trip and spending time with family during the week... so my access is going to be limited. I apologize, but I hope everyone continues to contribute to the thread!

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)

Bode Wilde

DOB: 1/24/2000
    Team: USNTDP
    Height: 6'2.5(at combine)
    Weight: 197.92 lbs (at combine)
    Shoots: Right
    Position: Defense

No longer available

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/283932/bode-wilde

http://prospect-stats.com/player/23052

Highlight video

The good: Size and skill are always good things to have in a defenseman. Even if they are unable to contribute offensively, their size suggests they are able to hold off the opposition, pin them, or break them down. You get the sense he could contribute one way or another. He gets a lot of praise for being very skilled.

The concerns: His decision making and consistency are his biggest weaknesses. While his combination of size and skills suggests he could find a niche one way or another, he is still a high risk prospect because of how he makes very bad decisions in very key situations.

Overall: I’ve seen multiple comparisons of Wilde to Dustin Byfuglien. In many ways, he’s a talented player that I would love to grab with a first round pick. I haven’t seen enough where he has won me over compared to other players. I wouldn’t be heartbroken over the Kings taking him, but I think there will be better options at 20.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

For me the first round is all about finding guys with the potential to be impact players. Once you get outside the top 8-10 the odds are against you. So for me the focus is on guys who have some great tool(s), but also an explanation for their problems. That said, the most important tool imo is skill, as if you don’t have it your have very little chance of being a guy who can play top 6 minutes or be a defenseman who can help run a power play. You are a essentially drafting a guy whose best case scenario is it bottom 6 forward.

By pick 20 the best chance of getting a guy who can make a difference is to find a guy with tools but who has some warts-things that make others shy away, but if you have done your homework, might be overcome. The players I like are ones that If he didn’t have warts, he would likey go in the top 10. So there is a trade off between upside and risk. So I like guys with tools like puck skills + some other tool like intelligence, or speed, but who have the right kind of drawbacks like being young, or Russian, or having an injury, or maybe a personal situation that led to diminished performance, that maybe isn’t appreciated by teams that didn’t do their homework.

Of course there are warts I like to avoid. I worry about guys that may have tools but make mental errors that indicate that they don’t seem able to think the game fast enough. This is why I am hesitant on guys like Bode Wilde. This is also my concern about Merkeley. I know that while people talk about his character, I also worry he doesn’t think the game well enough on defense. It feels a little odd to say that given the offensive plays he makes, but he seems to make some real boneheaded ones on D.

Anyway, the reason I like marchenko is that the tools seem to be in place for him to be very good. I’m less worried about his performance last year both because he finished strongly, and because there are some reports that his ice time was diminished for some reason this year. I haven’t been able to check that, but I’ll bet the kings have-and of course it could be that his play merited less ice time because he was lousy! That said, I also don’t like to weigh point performance in 30 or so games over the tools, because it just isn’t such a large sample. Im sure the decreased points and his being Russian will depress his stock. But, He is also among the younger players which typically he may have more room for improvement.

That said, I think we will have some better options in the first round, as I can’t imagine we can’t get one of: Kravtsov, Kupari, Bokk, Ty Smith, or Denisenko at 20. But I would trade up in the second, or even for another 1st to grab him.

Speaking of trading up, I have read a couple of mock drafts now that have Quinn Hughes falling to about number nine or 10. If he does I really hope the Kings try to trade up to grab him, he looks like he could be an elite puckmover to me. In fact I would trade up a bit to get any of the first three I mentioned as they all look like scoring top 6 wingers to me, though Bokk seems a few years away, I think he’d be terrific with Vilardi.