Thread: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Primer

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

I'll throw my/our hat into the mix. I've done scouting for HockeyProspect in Europe (as has my current partner in the Draftin Europe project). After leaving HP, we've continued to scout European prospects and now release publications as Draftin Europe, including draft guides obviously.

If you guys would like to give it a shot, this is how the profile page for our Top 60 ranked prospects looks like: CLICK

Link to where you can get our Draft Guide: https://www.draftineu.com/product/2018-draft-guide/

Speaking of Shafigullin, we have an even longer profile on him than the Denisenko sample, it includes a slightly different take beyond what was mentioned in this thread.

As, I'm very familiar with European prospects eligible for the draft (including all the ones you've mentioned here) and since I've been a member here for so long, I can answer a few questions related to that if you'd like.

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Who is this year's Vilardi (draft faller) who we may have shot at drafting in the 20 spot. Thinking maybe Hayton over his perceived lack of offensive upside by some.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    427 Post(s)

Joe Veleno is someone I've seen that may drop. And Rasmus Kupari even though he's second ranked center. (or centre if you're not right in the head)
    I've seen Ryan Merkley anywhere from 16 to 41.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

Those look like the two biggest falling possibilities to me as well. Ive seen Merkeley range anyehere from 9 to 70! Ive seen Veleno from 12 to 40. Ive seen Kumpari range from 6 to 28 and Kratsov from 8 to around 32.

Btw: apparently Yanetti today said they had targeted 5 players but arent sure any will be available at 20. The implication was they may move up or they may move down!

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

Cool. How do you rate the top Euro forwards after svech, zadina, and kotakaniemi?

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    427 Post(s)

4, 5 and 6

sorry, I'm an ass.

Kupari, Kravtsov, Lundestrom

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Ice View Post
    Cool. How do you rate the top Euro forwards after svech, zadina, and kotakaniemi?
    After Kotkaniemi the next highest Fs on our board are Denisenko and Kravtsov. Personally, I doubt either is available at the Kings pick. More realistic (but still far from sure he reaches the Kings pick) is Martin Kaut. I think he would be a good fit for the Kings. For one, if you've complained about the Kings PP over the years, Kaut is one of the best PP players I've seen in this draft class. He is in constant movement, makes excellent passes and puck-movement plays on PP and can finish himself when there is the chance. If you want an antidote to a PP that passively stands around, he is your guy. As a whole though, he is a mid-sized smart playmaker who can also finish. He has a good chance to be a Top 6 producer and he is a perfect option to complement a really strong center, he is not a a big physical player nor a flashy pure speedster, but he competes and his smarts and playmaking ability cross the ice really stand out. He is skilled too. So if you're looking to add someone to Kopitar or Carter, I think he is the type who could play with both and succeed.

Another option who we like better than consensus is Jan Jenik who is another Czech actually. He can play either C/W but I think he is turning more into a C. Why I think he would be interesting to Kings: There is some Mike Richards-like qualities in him, although he is bigger. Good playmaking, above-average skill, high-end attitude and compete level. Smart. Can protect the puck. Lacks shooting ability at this point outside of close-range and can be a bit reckless and undisciplined (that will likely be gone with maturity). He would bring the type of attitude that was there in 2012 and 2014 Kings teams. Also one of the youngest players in the draft, if he were 1 day older, he would be a 2019 draft eligible.

That's about as much as I can give away for those two. Otherwise my partner in this project will say I give out too much for free.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

Thanks! Jenik looks interesting. Tools and youth are a good combo. Just to clarify, did your list include Russians as Euros? (I'm assuming not).

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

Yes it obviously includes Russians as Euros. Would have little purpose to exclude them from an Europe-based hockey ranking.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

Brain fart on my part there given who you listed. Will be interesting to see how far Kaut drops, if at all.