Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

I really think Kupari IS who they wanted but expected he might be gone and targeted Lundestrom as a fall back.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper9 View Post
    I really think Kupari IS who they wanted but expected he might be gone and targeted Lundestrom as a fall back.

I read they had identified 5 guys but weren't sure any of them would be there. Lundestrom could have been one for sure. I think Kratsov would have been there as he looked the most skilled, but he is committed to the KHL next year. Well that was moot anyway. If they want skill Bokk had to be rated highly, several scouts said he has the second best hands in the draft, but he is very raw otherwise.

Im delighted with Kupari, its who I wanted us to take! That almost never happens-but hey, 2 years in a row!

He is gonna be great on the wing with Vilardi in 3-4 years.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    702 Post(s)

Default 2018 NHL Entry Draft Primer

Thank you for the props/kind words, guys. And thank you for making the thread fun.

I've been on the road all day today. I will try to write more by tomorrow night when I get home

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    Thank you for the props/kind words, guys. And thank you for making the thread fun.

I've been on the road all day today. I will try to write more by tomorrow night when I get home
    And nice call on the Shafigullin pick! I dont love our history with Russians in the 3rd round but he looks fun!

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1109 Post(s)

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to your summary.

LMK if you'll be up for any of the camps. I changed jobs but hopefully can flex my hours and get over to watch at least a little of camp.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    702 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to your summary.

LMK if you'll be up for any of the camps. I changed jobs but hopefully can flex my hours and get over to watch at least a little of camp.
    Unfortunately no. I am living in the Seattle area now. Drove down to So Cal last week to take care of some family stuff, then drove back last night (thus why I was on the road all day). I'm sad to say I'm going to miss development camp, but look forward to hearing the observations of you and others!

Anyway, my overall thoughts are I really like these picks. Granted, Lombardi and co did a great job building championship teams, but I think the first three picks of this draft deviate from the old regime.

Kupari: boom or bust. Remarks that he needs to have better hockey sense and use his teammates more.

Thomas: speed and skill, but inconsistent levels of intensity

Shafigullin: no expectation of him committing to North America

These are all risky picks, and with Blake bringing in Kovalchuk, I think we're seeing a willingness to make enough risky moves with the hope you'll get a high reward or two.

I really like all of the picks, although I know nothing about the last three; I like my reads on them. If not Kupari, I would have been okay with Veleno in the first.

With Thomas, either him, Hallander, or Olofsson would have been okay.

And you already know my opinion on Shafigullin

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)

Draft report on the Kings by Corey Pronman on The Athletic subscription need.

https://theathletic.com/404414/2018/...rasmus-kupari/

Grade:​ B

The Kings got a very good player in Rasmus Kupari with their first pick. He might need time but he has the upside to play on their top two lines whether at center or the wing. Akil Thomas was good value at No. 52. Bulat Shafigulin at No. 89 is someone I wasn’t enamored with, but the numbers were off the chart; he’s skilled, I see the argument. Their later picks didn’t have someone I think was great value, but there was talent at each selection. I liked the approach, and I like the results for the most part.

Rasmus Kupari (No. 20 overall): There are a lot of tools to like in Kupari’s game. He’s a very strong skater who explodes out of his first few strides and puts pressure on defenders using his speed. His stride is incredibly smooth, with so much power coming from every push off. Kupari also has high-end puck skills, and can make skilled plays in tight and off the rush. I’ve seen flashes of good playmaking from him, but I don’t think he’s a high-end passer. Rather, I see Kupari more often as a very good north-south attacker who can make crafty plays with the puck or use his above-average shot. He needs time to round out his game, and to learn when to play quick and when to slow plays down. But his potential is among the very best in this draft class.
    Akil Thomas (No. 51): Thomas was the go-to guy for Niagara. He makes a ton of smart plays with the puck on his stick, gets a lot of controlled zone entries and shows high-level instincts in creating chances. Thomas’ skating has improved a lot since last season to where it’s a strength this season. Despite his speed, I don’t see him push the pace too much. I’ve seen the occasional good burst, but, in general, he prefers to play a slow game, especially with the puck on his stick. His two-way game has developed. He’s looked competent playing center at the OHL level, has some bite in his game and has killed penalties for Niagara.

Bulat Shafigulin (No. 82): Shafigulin’s a very smooth and gifted puck handler who can control the play for lengthy stretches and make defenders miss. I’d like to see him make more plays with his skill set, but he will distribute the puck fine. Shafigullin’s skating is OK. He’s a bit awkward, I don’t think he’s knock-kneed but his technique isn’t refined, and he’s inefficient in how he gets up the ice. His speed is decent when he gets going, but I’d like to see him clean a few things up. Physically, he’ll engage every now and then, but it’s not what he’s good at, especially when you consider he has a very wiry frame.

Aidan Dudas (No. 113): Dudas is a small player without an exceptional skill level, but he does enough well to be considered a prospect. Dudas’ defining trait is his work ethic. He’s a fierce competitor at both ends of the rink, delivering offense by out-willing players for pucks and space in front without taking many penalties. Despite his size, he’s quite good defensively due to his effort and smarts. I wish I saw more dynamic hands and more speed for his size, but Dudas is still skilled with the puck, can make guys miss, anticipates the game fine and has a good shot.

David Hrenak (No. 144): I saw Hrenak a few times but didn’t zero in too closely on him. I know some goalie scouts who were high on his skill set though.

Johan Sodergran (No. 165): Sodergran is a good skater who plays hard and displays good two-way IQ. I don’t think he has much skill, however.

Jacob Ingham (No. 175): Ingham is a really quick goalie for a 6-foot-4 netminder with the ability to make hard stops. I don’t like the way he thinks the game, though, and too often he let in the low percentage shots for me.
    "Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    702 Post(s)

Now that I have things back up and have my spreadsheet updated, might as well share a quick update on the draft history data; new data is in parenthesis:

7 (14) total picks.

Nationality:
    4 (7) Canadian
    3 (3) American
    0 (1) Swedish
    0 (1) Russian
    0 (1) Finnish
    0 (1) Slovak

Position:
    3 (8) Forwards
    3 (3) Defensemen
    1 (3) Goaltenders

Height:
    2 (4) players under 6'
    3 (5)players between 6' and 6'1
    2 (5) players over 6'1

Shot/Catch:
    2 (5) players shoot right
    4 (6) players shoot left
    1 (3) goalies catch left

League:
    4 (7) players from the OHL
    2 (2) players from the USHL
    1 (1) player from the WHL
    0 (1) player from NCAA
    0 (3) players from Europe

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Interesting. Seems like a big shift toward Europe this year. I have noticed rumblings about them emphasizing Russia and Europe more but other than hearing Ruuttu's name a bit more I hadn't really noticed much. I wonder if they feel like they have an advantage in scouting there, or if perhaps the skill players are more heavily concentrated there this year.

FWIW: I really enjoyed the video clips you put together of Kupari. I just went back yesterday and watched them and am astonished when I hear those NHL Network announcers describe him as the Fin who cant finish. Some of those one timers are really impressive.