Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Trade Forbort for a pick at the draft. Sign Bozak. Bring back Voynov. Toffoli for Skinner.

Kempe-Kopitar-Skinner
    Pearson-Vilardi-Carter
    Iafallo/Rieder-Bozak-Brown
    Clifford-Amadio/Thompson-Lewis

Muzzin-Doughty
    Martinez-Voynov
    Phaneuf-Ladue/Brickley

Waiting for the night
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrinderCB View Post
    So who do you dump to make cap room? The cap will probably go to $80 million. Doughty will want something on par with Kopitar next year when/if it goes to $88 million. If you re-sign Rieder at $3 million, let Torrey Mitchell go and either of Folin or Gravel go to free agency you have a roster spot open for a defenseman and a forward. You'd almost have to replace Mitchell with a prospect since he made less than $2 million and only a prospect would make enough below that to clear any meaningful space.

Trading away Toffoli for prospects and/or picks only gets you part way there. Karlsson or Tavares would command 2-1/2 to 3 times what Toffoli makes now. Someone else said that the Kings are interested in Max Pacioretty but between him and Toffoli its a wash for money and Pacioretty is only under contract one year.

Looking at the math I really don't see the Kings making a big splash via free agency since they just don't have the cap space. By way of trades they might do something but they need youth and speed to compete with Vegas and they're not gonna get that in a trade.
    It would be doable. Muzzin/Martinez + Toffoli would be involved in a Karlsson deal amongst other assets. The other defenseman could be traded to bring in some younger forward assets to replace Toffoli's icetime. Those 3 guys are 11mil. Don't resign Rieder, resign Mitchell, and that would save another 1mil+. Add a veteran or two on 1 year contract and that would fill out the roster. Come trade deadline, Kings would still have lots of capspace for this season and could take a swing at a playoff run.

Ultimately, getting Karlsson would be a hedge against Doughty walking, and could be used to leverage salary negotiations in an attempt to get both contracts more cost controlled. DD and EK may be willing to take $500k-1m less to play together.

Tavares would be less likely as he's probably chasing the biggest contract.
    And thats how you get ants!

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    526 Post(s)

Iafallo is fine on the 1st line. If he doesn't sophomore slump and Brown doesn't funk it all up again, 1st line will be more than fine. They can play their own game and come out on top vs. the toughest opposition in NHL more often than not.

2nd and 3rd lines is what I'd be looking to liven up and add more skill into. To do that, you'd have to trade Toffoli and either Muzzin or Martinez. Phaneuf can be dumped for cap space.

Yes, I'd sacrifice some D to gain skill and speed on the offense. Look at Vegas...which D-man on their roster screams "stable NHL veteran" apart from Engelland and Sbisa? Sure, Fleury is playing lights out, but they still have capable defense. Besides, sometimes you have to put young players into more important roles to figure out if they're game or not. Some thrive under increased responsibilities and load...not 3rd pairing without PP and PK time.

Thing is...the organization depth is so shallow that without risk, there will be no reward. This may even involve having to trade Doughty. Either Blake takes some risks to revamp and refresh this roster, or he should rebuild.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    390 Post(s)

I want to get a couple players who had like, 6 goals last year, but will jump up to 43 goals next season, just like Vegas's Karlson did.

Hyperbolic V.I.P.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)

Did you know that this was his rookie season in the NHL? True story.

Toff is very inconsistent and disappears for lengths. I wouldn’t mind seeing him used in a deal, as long as a youngster can step in.

I don’t agree with everyone on trading Martinez or Muzzin. That leaves 2 holes on D to fill.
    Last edited by Dr. No; June 4th, 2018 at 07:38 AM.

Gone Fishin'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    It would be doable. Muzzin/Martinez + Toffoli would be involved in a Karlsson deal amongst other assets. The other defenseman could be traded to bring in some younger forward assets to replace Toffoli's icetime. Those 3 guys are 11mil. Don't resign Rieder, resign Mitchell, and that would save another 1mil+. Add a veteran or two on 1 year contract and that would fill out the roster. Come trade deadline, Kings would still have lots of capspace for this season and could take a swing at a playoff run.

Ultimately, getting Karlsson would be a hedge against Doughty walking, and could be used to leverage salary negotiations in an attempt to get both contracts more cost controlled. DD and EK may be willing to take $500k-1m less to play together.

Tavares would be less likely as he's probably chasing the biggest contract.

If the Sens are parting ways with Karlsson they would be in a rebuild and would want nothing to do with Martinez or Muzzin. It would be Clague/Vilardi and other young assists. It ain't happening.

Hyperbolic V.I.P.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Erik Karlsson or Tavares. There wont be better players on the market for years. Either go big or go home.
    Might as well add Doughty to that list as well.

Remember Me?
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    731 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xcheck View Post
    I get it Friedman and McKenzie are pros. But really... what does Eklund have to say about all this? Let's get the real Poop here...
    fixed

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1864 Post(s)

Right now, according to CapFriendly, the Kings are the #1 team in the league in Salary, with only 4 million to spend and a looming Drew Doughty signing July 1st.
    Reads like a stiff kick to the b@lls.

oof!

Thanks Deano!

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    353 Post(s)

We have between $7 and $11 million to spend actually, as the cap is estimated to go up to between $78 and $82 million. As others have mentioned, Drew's new contract would not kick in next season. We will also get $833,000 off the books after next season as Greene's buyout will end and after the 2019-20 season, Richards $1.32 million recapture penalty will end.

The Kings' cap is actually well managed.