Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacioretti, Kessel, Skinner or Kovalchuk? Toffoli Gone?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1740 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    We have between $7 and $11 million to spend actually, as the cap is estimated to go up to between $78 and $82 million. As others have mentioned, Drew's new contract would not kick in next season. We will also get $833,000 off the books after next season as Greene's buyout will end and after the 2019-20 season, Richards $1.32 million recapture penalty will end.

The Kings' cap is actually well managed.
    Sweet, so we have one more year until the Kings are in Cap hell. wink-wink...nudge-nudge.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    The Kings' cap is actually well managed.
    Ah, not so much. See how those big numbers keep going on for years and years

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Ah, not so much. See how those big numbers keep going on for years and years

The only big number I see there is Kopitar. Carters contract is a steal and if Brown can repeat or do somewhat of the same for a couple years hes worth it.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
    The only big number I see there is Kopitar. Carters contract is a steal and if Brown can repeat or do somewhat of the same for a couple years he’s worth it.
    Between Brown and Phaneuf alone the Kings are burning $8m in cap space each of the next 3 years.
    But if you don't see that, whatever.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)

The Kings need to stop acquiring high salary players. They need younger players with cost certainty. I'd be inclined to trade 73 for prospects but I don't think he'd fetch much during the summer.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)

The Kings would be better off trying to get younger, not older. There's too wide a gap between this team's core and the future core.

I've said before I'd be okay with trading Toffoli, but I'd like it to be for picks/prospects to bring in more of a future core to the Kings.

That said, if the Kings can sign Kovalchuk for a year or two, I wouldn't hate it either as a bridge.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4470 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    The Kings would be better off trying to get younger, not older. There's too wide a gap between this team's core and the future core.

I've said before I'd be okay with trading Toffoli, but I'd like it to be for picks/prospects to bring in more of a future core to the Kings.

That said, if the Kings can sign Kovalchuk for a year or two, I wouldn't hate it either as a bridge.
    Thing is, why even bother getting more mediocre? None of the players discussed above do anything to elevate the team past where they are now. You would need two of them, without losing anybody, AND a top four defender to make Kings hockey playoff palatable.

Playoff hockey is about being decisive. This team takes too long to do anything, they are slow and deliberate and won't see that change until they have younger, more athletic players up and down the lineup. Adding 20 goals to what you get from Iafallo isn't going to make a lick of difference if the goal is to win Cups.

Letting Iafallo grow and adding higher quality picks is the better and actually faster route. Mediocrity is the slowest roll in town.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post

Thing is, why even bother getting more mediocre? None of the players discussed above do anything to elevate the team past where they are now. You would need two of them, without losing anybody, AND a top four defender to make Kings hockey playoff palatable.

Playoff hockey is about being decisive. This team takes too long to do anything, they are slow and deliberate and won't see that change until they have younger, more athletic players up and down the lineup. Adding 20 goals to what you get from Iafallo isn't going to make a lick of difference if the goal is to win Cups.

Letting Iafallo grow and adding higher quality picks is the better and actually faster route. Mediocrity is the slowest roll in town.
    Again, I'm simply not opposed to acquiring a free asset in Kovalchuk. I don't think the Kings should spend assets to get older though.

I'm not trying to get more mediocre. I do want the Kings' core to grow. I also want the right players to be here to oversee the growth.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)

I know it wont happen but if The Kings can somehow trade Phaneuf for minimal or no salary back in return, it would be huge.

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1688 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gokor84 View Post
    I know it wont happen but if The Kings can somehow trade Phaneuf for minimal or no salary back in return, it would be huge.
    That wont happen. Hes here for the long haul.

Give Dewie his $11M per year. Deal Toffoli for Patches, with Montreal eating half, and the expiring contract. Play him with Carter and the kid, let him go nuts in his FA year, and then let him walk.

Deal a $4M defenseman. Preferably AMart,
    for a 3C.

Pray it all works out, but it prolly wont.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom