3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Default Looking to cut the cord on cable service

I am looking to cut some household costs and the first victim has got to be the cable TV bill.
    So, has anyone had any luck with that?
    I currently have Spectrum internet/TV/phone package but the monthly is around $180 a month. Trying to get it down to around $100 and I really do not need the phone but it would be nice to have.
    Direct Tv is not an option (no south facing patio). My complex will not allow rooftop antennas.

My needs for TV viewing are fairly basic. FS1, FS2, NBCSN, TRU TV, and TBS are about my only must haves.
    I have Netflix and HULU and have seen the channel lineup for HULU TV and that looks pretty good. So, with that in mind, I would need internet service.
    ATT comes to mind but they are not getting great reviews for their fiber internet. I spoke to a rep today with ATT and she said they have internet for $40 a month which would leave me in need of a streaming service. If I went with ATT and either HULU TV or Direct TV Now, I could get away with approximately $80 a month.
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with those or if they had any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Last edited by ForumBlue; June 12th, 2018 at 08:02 PM.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3034 Post(s)

DTV has a streaming special right now - $10 per month for 3 months. You can cancel any time with any streaming service, so just try a couple and see what works best for you.

\_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

I posted this link in the streaming options thread awhile back. I am blown away at how thorough the website is in comparing the streaming services. You could spend an hour or two comparing all the services to meet your needs. I have Directv Now. I don’t use it much but it is good enough for me.

https://www.fomopop.com/guides/live-tv-streaming

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Thanks for the responses.
    My main concern is going from 100 mbps with Spectrum to 5 mbps with ATT.
    The ATT rep told me that was the only speed available in my area.
    I just worry that would not be good enough to watch hockey without freezing and buffering.

Would appreciate anyone who has ATT to chime in.

I will check that link KAOS provided.
    Thanks

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

How does ATT stay in business?
    I just tried to call customer support 5 times and got 5 different answers each time.
    1 said they had fiber. The other said it was DSL. Another said 5 mbps was the max in my area. Another said I could get 50 mbps. Yet another insisted they did not have service at all in my area despite the fact that I actually had ATT internet service here 3 years ago.
    The last rep told me I needed to have my condo manager call in order for me to sign up for service. LMAO Really? Do I need a written note from my mommy as well?

There's got to be a better way.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3034 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ForumBlue View Post
    I just worry that would not be good enough to watch hockey without freezing and buffering.
    I can just about guarantee that it's not good enough if that's all you can get; also keep in mind that there's a very good chance that you won't actually be getting advertised speed.

How does ATT stay in business?

The same way cable companies stay in business: no competition. Turns out buying your elected representatives is a very good investment. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one (or more) up.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

So I signed up for a free trial with Sling TV. Seems ok but I noticed many of the channels are the east coast feed. Not exactly a deal breaker but there are a few shows I like to watch which begin at 8 pm that would now be on at 5pm due to the 3 hour time difference.
    I guess I'll keep digging.
    Last edited by ForumBlue; June 13th, 2018 at 04:57 PM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    332 Post(s)

Default Looking to cut the cord on cable service

I have DirectvNow with the AT&T wireless discount it would be $35 a month to get the regional sports networks like fox sports west/prime ticket. (I pay $20 right now as I use somebody elseís spectrum account. AT&T wireless gets me free HBO.

I have internet through spectrum 100 MPs is about $70 a month. I provide my own router and modem.

I mostly do t watch live tv except for sports. More often than not I use the the Network Apps to watch the shows such as TWD on the AMC app signing into DirectvNow account. I watched the Stanley cup playoffs mostly on the NBC Sports app.

Overall I am ok with it. I was tired of paying almost $150 for Spectrum. I wish I didnít have to get internet through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    707 Post(s)

when I moved to Monrovia some years ago, I found out about the locals-only ISP that offers very high speed connections for pennies as compared to what most of you are paying with these major providers. it is $37 a month for 20mbps including modem rental while I'm on my own for the router. buffers are extremely rare on two TVs, two laptops and two phones. they also offer the maximum package (150mbps) for twice what I'm paying but I find it to be a lil too much and a waste for what we actually don't need. heck, beforehand, I was paying $37 for just 3G through a DSL provider.

this goes to show you how far apart on the subject of bandwidths and rates are for small ISPs and large.
    I BELIEVE I'll have another beer!

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troyvsc View Post
    I have DirectvNow with the AT&T wireless discount it would be $35 a month to get the regional sports networks like fox sports west/prime ticket. (I pay $20 right now as I use somebody else’s spectrum account. AT&T wireless gets me free HBO.

I have internet through spectrum 100 MPs is about $70 a month. I provide my own router and modem.

I mostly do t watch live tv except for sports. More often than not I use the the Network Apps to watch the shows such as TWD on the AMC app signing into DirectvNow account. I watched the Stanley cup playoffs mostly on the NBC Sports app.

Overall I am ok with it. I was tired of paying almost $150 for Spectrum. I wish I didn’t have to get internet through them.
    The $35 Direct TV package gives you FSW and Prime Ticket?
    How is the overall stream quality for sports?