Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Looking to cut the cord on cable service

  1. #11
    3rd Line Role Player
    ForumBlue's Avatar
    Karma: 421844283
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMan View Post
    when I moved to Monrovia some years ago, I found out about the locals-only ISP that offers very high speed connections for pennies as compared to what most of you are paying with these major providers. it is $37 a month for 20mbps including modem rental while I'm on my own for the router. buffers are extremely rare on two TVs, two laptops and two phones. they also offer the maximum package (150mbps) for twice what I'm paying but I find it to be a lil too much and a waste for what we actually don't need. heck, beforehand, I was paying $37 for just 3G through a DSL provider.

    this goes to show you how far apart on the subject of bandwidths and rates are for small ISPs and large.
    How is the stream quality with the 20 mbps?
    Also, which stream service are you using?

  2. #12
    1st Scoring Line
    Troyvsc's Avatar
    Karma: 1756100000
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,431
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    331 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ForumBlue View Post
    The $35 Direct TV package gives you FSW and Prime Ticket?
    How is the overall stream quality for sports?
    The $35 is with the $15 discount for being a AT&T wireless customer.

    Is better on the DirectvNow app then it is on the NBC APP but both arenít bad. Although to be honest I am not one of those that watched sports on top of the line stuff like a 4K tv or what not. It works for me. There is some buffering sometimes on any app but not sure if that is my network provider or the apps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kaos's Avatar
    Karma: 7519929
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    374 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ForumBlue View Post
    So I signed up for a free trial with Sling TV. Seems ok but I noticed many of the channels are the east coast feed. Not exactly a deal breaker but there are a few shows I like to watch which begin at 8 pm that would now be on at 5pm due to the 3 hour time difference.
    I guess I'll keep digging.
    I suspect all the services use east coast feeds. I would just use the DVR function to record your shows at 5pm and then you can watch them at 8pm.

    I am not sure why AT&T has their head up their *** but I guess I should not be surprised. I suggest you try a third party reseller of AT&T internet called dslextreme (dslextreme.com). They offer fiber internet called truestream. Punch in your address and it will tell you if you qualify for fiber internet. This will at least confirm AT&T can provide fiber internet to your place. I punched in an old address of mine that was in an AT&T territory and it showed I qualified for 45Mbps for $63/mo. The highest speed available is 75Mbps for $93/mo. That probably would not be worth it to me.

  4. #14
    3rd Line Role Player
    ForumBlue's Avatar
    Karma: 421844283
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I suspect all the services use east coast feeds. I would just use the DVR function to record your shows at 5pm and then you can watch them at 8pm.

    I am not sure why AT&T has their head up their *** but I guess I should not be surprised. I suggest you try a third party reseller of AT&T internet called dslextreme (dslextreme.com). They offer fiber internet called truestream. Punch in your address and it will tell you if you qualify for fiber internet. This will at least confirm AT&T can provide fiber internet to your place. I punched in an old address of mine that was in an AT&T territory and it showed I qualified for 45Mbps for $63/mo. The highest speed available is 75Mbps for $93/mo. That probably would not be worth it to me.
    BRILLIANT!

    Actually, HULU uses local feeds but since they are still in Beta, there are a ton of issues and complaints about their live TV service.
    The other ones I researched were indeed east coast based.

    Just checking with DSL Extreme.
    Well, that sucks......it says I qualify for speeds up to 3Mbps.
    I guess the rep at ATT who said I qualified for 50Mbps fiber had his head up his rear end...........shocking.

    Anyway, I cut the TV portion of my Spectrum cable account and will just wing it for now. Saves me $60.
    Hockey season is over and I have Netflix along with my trusty ROKU stick.

  5. #15
    FIRE BETTMAN!!
    BeerMan's Avatar
    Karma: 1182000
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    18,805
    Images
    39
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    691 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ForumBlue View Post
    How is the stream quality with the 20 mbps?
    Also, which stream service are you using?
    great. consistently getting HD quality streams.

    fiber optic.

    www.gigglefiber.com
    I BELIEVE I'll have another beer!

  6. #16
    I grew a Fatmanchu.
    Kingsfan626's Avatar
    Karma: 7002000
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,871
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ForumBlue View Post
    Thanks for the responses.
    My main concern is going from 100 mbps with Spectrum to 5 mbps with ATT.
    The ATT rep told me that was the only speed available in my area.
    I just worry that would not be good enough to watch hockey without freezing and buffering.

    Would appreciate anyone who has ATT to chime in.

    I will check that link KAOS provided.
    Thanks
    If you have someone else living in your home over 18 you can have them sign up for Spectrum and get the promo price. My wife and I switch off every 12 months with Frontier and we normally just pay the $40-50 for 100mb internet and have been very happy with PSVue.

  7. #17
    4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    beedee's Avatar
    Karma: 25694100
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,430
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1219 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ForumBlue View Post
    BRILLIANT!

    Actually, HULU uses local feeds but since they are still in Beta, there are a ton of issues and complaints about their live TV service.
    The other ones I researched were indeed east coast based.

    Just checking with DSL Extreme.
    Well, that sucks......it says I qualify for speeds up to 3Mbps.
    I guess the rep at ATT who said I qualified for 50Mbps fiber had his head up his rear end...........shocking.

    Anyway, I cut the TV portion of my Spectrum cable account and will just wing it for now. Saves me $60.
    Hockey season is over and I have Netflix along with my trusty ROKU stick.
    I'm looking to do the same thing, we also have Spectrum. And other than watching the Kings, we really don't have any "must-watch" shows on cable. We use Netflix and YouTube 90% of the time. Our bill is $150 at the moment.

    Did you call Spectrum to cancel the cable portion? Any words of advice on how to go about it with them?

  8. #18
    4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    beedee's Avatar
    Karma: 25694100
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,430
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1219 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsfan626 View Post
    If you have someone else living in your home over 18 you can have them sign up for Spectrum and get the promo price. My wife and I switch off every 12 months with Frontier and we normally just pay the $40-50 for 100mb internet and have been very happy with PSVue.

    A Spectrum field rep actually told us that too. Thats a great way to go about it, might work that option instead.

  9. #19
    3rd Line Role Player
    ForumBlue's Avatar
    Karma: 421844283
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    I'm looking to do the same thing, we also have Spectrum. And other than watching the Kings, we really don't have any "must-watch" shows on cable. We use Netflix and YouTube 90% of the time. Our bill is $150 at the moment.

    Did you call Spectrum to cancel the cable portion? Any words of advice on how to go about it with them?
    I did call Spectrum and canceled the cable TV portion only. Saved me nearly $60 a month. Still have the internet and phone for the moment while I plot my next move.

    Kinda sucks as I left work early to watch the US open, foolishly thinking it was on CBS channel 2 on over the air TV. Oops, guess not. Lol

    usopen.com has streaming of 2 groups and certain holes so I guess that's better than nothing. One of the groups contains Phil, Spieth and Rory while the other has Fowler and Matsuyama. That's fine since I basically wanted to watch Phil anyway. Tiger is a train wreck.
    Last edited by ForumBlue; June 15th, 2018 at 02:00 PM.

  10. #20
    3rd Line Role Player
    ForumBlue's Avatar
    Karma: 421844283
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsfan626 View Post
    If you have someone else living in your home over 18 you can have them sign up for Spectrum and get the promo price. My wife and I switch off every 12 months with Frontier and we normally just pay the $40-50 for 100mb internet and have been very happy with PSVue.
    How long do you normally wait after you cut the cord before getting new service?
    Spectrum has a special right now. 100Mbps internet, cable TV and phone for $100. That probably doesn't include the sports package.
    How much is PSV with the FSW and Prime Ticket?

    So wait....just reread your post...........you mean you do not have to use a different person each time you switch? Just you and the Mrs?
    That is brilliant!
    Last edited by ForumBlue; June 15th, 2018 at 01:59 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •