1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    699 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgs View Post
    Trotz with the talent the Kings have would do worse. The Kings have no offense, they survived and did as good as they did because of their defensive play. The Knights beat us but they didn't score much on the Kings. They scored on the Capitols but the Capitols score more than the knights did. Trotz defensive scheme would be exposed badly with the talent the Kings have. His offensive is better than Stevens.
    No offense? 16th in the league in scoring isn't exactly no offense. Most goals as a team since 2005. Kopitar and Brown had career years. Carter missed 50+ games. The team improved significantly on offense, they just didn't get enough secondary scoring which is the biggest problem. It's a fine line the Kings walk. They managed to win due to a fairly consistent defense and enough scoring from the top guys. If they go too far offensively, they expose themselves defensively. If they go too far defensively (see Knights playoff round), they sacrifice scoring. Maybe another coach comes in and figures out how to balance that better with a different scheme or get more out of the talent. Unfortunately, I'm just not sure we have enough talent where any coach can make this team more than a playoff contender aka, get bounced in the first couple of rounds.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    699 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    So, you guys jumped on the bandwagon in Gretzky era.

You managed to endure the Kings ****ting the bed monumentally in 94 and the subsequent fire sale with the bankruptcy and all that.

You managed to endure the black-holeness up until Deano came aboard and the subsequent tanking with some hope that things will turn around.

And then a few years into the mediocrity post 2 Cup wins and the management still trying to figure out what to do with this team, you're "completely apathetic"?

Huh. Well, all I have to say is that you've either become too spoiled or you took hockey WAY too seriously before and took it to your heart to support this team no matter what that you're now simply burnt out.

Either way, this does seem surprising to me, too. This can't be nearly as bad as the 95-06 era. I didn't follow that era of Kings hockey, but reading about it makes me want to vomit. Without Gretzky this team would probably move out of LA because no one would care anymore.
    Unfortunately, this is typical with many fanbases that finally achieve success. You forget the decades of suckage and every year after a championship is a failure unless you win it again. 2012 & 14 were a "high" and now many folks are going through withdrawls aka apathy. Yeah, I want to see another cup or 2 in LA but that's a tough ask...look at how many teams still haven't won it. I'm going to continue to enjoy the game and my team, hope they do what they can to make the team better but realize it's very unlikely we win another cup anytime soon.

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    889 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    So, you guys jumped on the bandwagon in Gretzky era.

You managed to endure the Kings ****ting the bed monumentally in 94 and the subsequent fire sale with the bankruptcy and all that.

You managed to endure the black-holeness up until Deano came aboard and the subsequent tanking with some hope that things will turn around.

And then a few years into the mediocrity post 2 Cup wins and the management still trying to figure out what to do with this team, you're "completely apathetic"?

Huh. Well, all I have to say is that you've either become too spoiled or you took hockey WAY too seriously before and took it to your heart to support this team no matter what that you're now simply burnt out.

Either way, this does seem surprising to me, too. This can't be nearly as bad as the 95-06 era. I didn't follow that era of Kings hockey, but reading about it makes me want to vomit. Without Gretzky this team would probably move out of LA because no one would care anymore.
    For the record, I started watching when I did because of the '92 Olympics in Albertville. I was in my early teens, it was the first time I ever watched any hockey at all, and I was hooked. I lived in LA, and the local team just happened to have Gretzky. I watched sporadically during the end of the 91/92 season, and watched more often during 92/93 as I got used to the schedule. It just so happens they made their run that season and that cemented things.

As for today...

The problem is we've been here before. For the last 3 seasons. No one in the front office is going to make moves that will make much of a difference. Partially because they're hamstrung. Partially because orders from ownership have them trying to rebuild while competing again.

As for that ownership directive, we're been there before. Twice. Once with Dave Taylor, and once when Dean came on board. The difference with Dean being he was bold enough to take that order, intentionally screw it up in a positive way, and then make his case for rebuilding. And when it started to go sideways, at least with Lombardi, there was some kind of a semblance that they were looking for as many options as possible. Lucic and Sekera were reaches, but at least the team was reaching. But after two offseasons, it looks like Blake is willing to stick to it the way Taylor did.

The current core has been here before. This past season was best showing since 2014. They've made the playoffs twice, won all of two games combined, and both after having good regular seasons and then s***ting the bed heading into crunch time. That's after they s*** before they got to crunch time the other seasons.

The organization seems content to spin its wheels in place and try to make out like everything's dandy. At least in the 90's, things were s***ty and everyone copped to it. The organization was a mess and that was all they were gonna do. Okay. Fine. At least there was a kind of camaraderie in that. Show up and sit in the back rows like Statler and Waldorf and goof on the team.

Now, it's "Lookit the banners during the anthem!" and "Anze's up for the Hart!" while the team struggles to get into the playoffs and fails miserably once it's there. And what's gonna be markedly different next season? Unless Gabe Vilardi shows up in camp like an Anze clone with a Mike Richards heart to put the team on his back, the team will struggle to get into the playoffs and then probably fail miserably. And we will have been there before.

And part of it is me. When I started watching, I was learning the game. The team sucked, but it was new to me. And I was in my teens going into my 20's and I had just found the thing I could be about for the next 20 years.

Those losing seasons in the 90's, there was a reason, and I didn't know much better, so okay. Those losing seasons before the Cups, there was a plan and I was interested in following how that plan went. Even if it didn't work.

Now, though? I've been watching for 25 years and I know better. I mean, I just wrote this, so obviously there're still strong feelings. But I've seen this. And I know that "this" is a waste of time.

When they set a directive and are serious about it, I'll be interested wholeheartedly. Until then, I'll be fine being interested in other things more.
    Last edited by darby; June 19th, 2018 at 12:36 PM.

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darby View Post
    Now, though? I've been watching for 25 years and I know better. I mean, I just wrote this, so obviously there're still strong feelings. But I've seen this. And I know that "this" is a waste of time.

When they set a directive and are serious about it, I'll be interested wholeheartedly. Until then, I'll be fine being interested in other things more.
    You don't have to defend being apathetic these days. Lots of us are in the same boat and we're not just spoiled bandwagoners. I cancelled my season seats after a 30-year run because after 30 years of watching this organization I know we are not going in a direction that is going to bring home another Cup any time soon. When you have been to the top of the mountain, you know what it took to get there. Also, my ticket prices had more than tripled in cost in the last several years, and people would rightly say "that's the price of success because now the Kings are a legit contender." That was a good argument for a few years, but now it is getting a little stale. The reality is we are in a difficult spot with large legacy contracts going to ageing players with diminishing skills, and we don't have a lot of top prospects on the farm. It is what it is. You could say that it is also the price of our success. You can't blame people for being apathetic with things as they are. Now if the Kings made some radical changes, then maybe. But if they move marketable big names and rebuild, it will be a lot harder to ask "contender" prices for seats. Its a tough situation.

Regarding the OP: I don't see Trotz coming to LA. Luc (and Rob) have shown that cronyism reigns in LA, so any replacement for Stevens would probably be a buddy. Dave Tippet would have been a good candidate, but apparently he was recently hired by the Seattle bidding group. Not a bad move since he has experience in making something out of nothing in AZ.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    828 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    For real though. I've been a fan since 93, another friend who I used to split season tickets with has been on board since 2000. We both as apathetic AF about the team right now. In my social circle the only guy still rabid and still willing to give anyone an earful of Kings is our buddy who finally jumped on in 2012.
    What a world.
    Hmmmm, been a fan since '73. Amazing what a little success does to people's perspective. Apathy after success is easier to handle that years of undieing support in the early years when hockey just wasn't available on the west coast..... and your team just wasn't competitive. You stood by your players, didn't over analyze every move with analytics....... you just friking played the game, watched the game for the love of it. Crap I'm getting old!!

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)

I've been a fan since 1969. We all have our different ways of viewing our team.
    For decades I've seen some very good teams, many times the opposing team.
    In 2012 that all changed and I saw the Kings win the Cup, seeing all four wins live.
    In 2014 I saw it again.
    There is no apathy on my part, and I have no control over what happens. It's still very entertaining to watch an NHL game. Any game. Between anybody.

Having said all of that, if I did have a say, I would hire Trotz in a heartbeat.

Would you Believe...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ludwig View Post
    Compare these coaches to water...

Trotz is Crystal Geyser
    Stevens is retapped bottled water from Tijuana
    Hmmm... the irony is that if you drink the water from Tijuana, you will get the Trotz.

The Dolphin Cares!
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1929 Post(s)

I have been a fan since the day after they won their first cup. Of course, their current record makes me apathetic.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    649 Post(s)

I'm a grandparent, so that tells how long I've been a fan of this up and down team. Married a Canadian and so.....It was hockey from way before Gretz came onboard. I'm with those who just aren't excited abt this team right now. Way too much of the Ole Boys Club and not any imagination. As always,through all these years, I'll continue to be a loyal fan,but oh, how discusted I am now.

The Dolphin Cares!
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1929 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John a90 View Post
    I'm a grandparent, so that tells how long I've been a fan of this up and down team. Married a Canadian and so.....It was hockey from way before Gretz came onboard. I'm with those who just aren't excited abt this team right now. Way too much of the Ole Boys Club and not any imagination. As always,through all these years, I'll continue to be a loyal fan,but oh, how discusted I am now.
    Speaking of grandparents, my grandmother used to say, "What happens is that you're used to the good stuff that the average stuff isn't good enough for you anymore!"

My grandmother would sit around and think up corny sayings.

But that fits with the Kings. We did get used to all that good stuff for a while there that them now being average isn't good enough. Some people will say they are below average. No. Regardless of that first round debacle, below average teams don't make the playoffs, they fight the Oilers for a top draft pick, lol.

It IS all relative and winning the cup does raise expectations. That's true. I think it's about perspective though. I am not going to get that angry about their play these days because they are not completely bad. I have seen the team being completely bad. BUT that doesn't mean I don't want or believe that the team can and will do better. As a fan, I want and need to see the management is trying to do that.