Thread: Round 1, Pick #20: RASMUS KUPARI

Luc says: how you doin'?
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    770 Post(s)
    Last edited by VegasHockey; June 22nd, 2018 at 06:47 PM.

#1 Kings fan In The World
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)

Welcome RK

No Kool-Aid needed!!!
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    617 Post(s)

So, serious question, should I be happy about this pick?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)

Going to speak just for myself on this, entirely my personal opinion and maybe harsh: This is a guy who I thought was the most overrated European based on other lists out there from day 1. This guy was at some point (not by me) rated ahead of Kotkaniemi in the first half of the draft season, I had to contain myself from laughing at that for the whole time. One of the best skaters in the draft. Limited hockey IQ. Might be a bottom 6 just based on physical tools, dislike how he reads the game entirely. For a guy like Yannetti who is supposed to place a premium on hockey sense, I'm shocked he doesn't see that. For them to make a pick like this, it's almost just like saying "take the next best skater available while ignoring everything else". Again, I HOPE I'm wrong. But it's not someone I would touch with a pick in first round and even in the second I think you could have better options. Heck, I'll just say it, I don't want to select players with questionable sense for the game in top 2 rounds.
    Last edited by nki; June 22nd, 2018 at 06:54 PM.

Cause Mitchrock said so
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    377 Post(s)

Kuuuuuuuup

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)

That said, the Kings got ****ed imo by the fact that the tier seemed to drop off just before them. There were 16-18 real solid picks before it got wide open. Just dislike WHO they opted for when it did get wide open.

The Dolphin Cares!
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1929 Post(s)

He needs an "E" before his name. Just saying.

I am such a nerd.

Keeper of Dewy's teeth
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    992 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nki View Post
    Going to speak just for myself on this, entirely my personal opinion and maybe harsh: This is a guy who I thought was the most overrated European based on other lists out there from day 1. This guy was at some point (not by me) rated ahead of Kotkaniemi in the first half of the draft season, I had to contain myself from laughing at that for the whole time. One of the best skaters in the draft. Limited hockey IQ. Might be a bottom 6 just based on physical tools, dislike how he reads the game entirely. For a guy like Yannetti who is supposed to place a premium on hockey sense, I'm shocked he doesn't see that. For them to make a pick like this, it's almost just like saying "take the next best skater available while ignoring everything else". Again, I HOPE I'm wrong. But it's not someone I would touch with a pick in first round and even in the second I think you could have better options. Heck, I'll just say it, I don't want to select players with questionable sense for the game in top 2 rounds.
    Same draft team got Vilardi, JAD, Clague and Mikey Anderson, so they must be doing something right. Kupari will be in Ontario in 2019

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)

We'll see. The fact that not the most clever player like Dustin Brown had a successful career gives me some hope. Not a fan of the pick otherwise. I don't have the complaint about their draft last year. I just don't think this was a good pick. I mean at the end of the day if you get a 3rd liner with speed who can pot some goals, it's not a bad pick for #20. But I don't see much hockey sense in Kupari's game, barring there being a significant development there manifesting out of nowhere, I think it's a question of how far his physical tools might carry him.

Like CUP4LA said below, it's like they just listened to what Blake said he wanted instead of going BPA. It sucks though that it really feels like the tier took a dive right before them. Guys like Denisenko and Kaut at 15-16 are real players. As a whole though even taking that into consideration, I'm not a fan.
    Last edited by nki; June 22nd, 2018 at 07:10 PM.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    572 Post(s)

Looks like they drafted based on need again. Hope I'm wrong.