4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Ice View Post
    The NHL draft coverage is bad. Mostly because it is lazy. The analysts they have are weak, there is very little discussion about their basis for evaluation, and they don't seem very familiar with players beyond the top ~40. And even within it they dont seem to have much deep knowledge.

But the Day 2 coverage is terrible. They give you no real insight into what the teams need at the beginning, what their strategies are or, MOST IMPORTANTLY, who most of the players are that the teams are selecting. This is ostensibly the whole point of the draft coverage and why people watch! The special interest stories are kind of lame. Great! England had their first player selected! Bully for them. For some reason that merited huge coverage. I didn't hear a peep until later that Jamaica did too. (I mostly don't care about that either but the latter is surely more interesting than the former).

It becomes clear very quickly that none of the 5 guys on that panel know very much about players beyond those remaining who were possible 1st round picks. But they also don't know much about the teams picking. In the upper corner of the screen, they literally listed Dergachyov as one of our top 5 prospects!

First off, why not start with interviews with reporters who closely cover the teams to talk about their needs. I was laughing when I heard them say the Kings needed to draft defensemen. Someone else was talking about how we needed goalies. Well, hey even a blind squirrel gets the occasional nut I suppose. Who looks at our prospect system and says yeah the forward ranks are where they are strong?

Second, their coverage adds absolutely nothing to the audience there to watch Day 2--we are the hardcore fans. OK-I get it, there are some wacky names that come across in say round number 5. The analysts can't know everyone. There is a reason the Jamaican kid didn't get coverage--he wasn't a sure bet to be drafted. But instead of giving us another of the segments asking how great Dahlin and the other top 5 guys can be, why not have some scouting directors or scouts on to talk about the kids they just drafted? Everyone watching on Day 2 knows all about those top guys. Let us know what the teams saw in their picks or what they were thinking. Let us know why we should be excited about the players that it is harder to get info on. How big of an issue is it that we drafted a Russian and we have had a hard time getting them to LA. They have a room full of experts on these topics, most of whom by round 3 are sitting around not doing much* as their lists are set and the trades are mostly inconsequential*, and for the most part they don't even interview them. Instead we have to rely on some internet reporter who gets an interview with Yannetti to give us some background.

That said, how many years does it take for them to realize that the GMs don't say all that much? To their credit, they did interviews with some GMs. Hextall and Chakya and Lou. Turns out they like the guys they just draft in the first round. Shocker. Turns out Luc was a late round pick. Gee I didn't know that. That was worth a 5 minute conversation (and I love Luc, but really?) I still don't know if we took the best player available in their view or if the two guys they had it narrowed to were skilled forwards? I heard we had tried to trade the pick up and couldn't do it. Is that right? Did we try to get another pick in the early second? (I was high on Marchenko who went 2 picks before us and so would have liked to know that).

*if you go to the draft you will literally see these guys sitting at their tables or meandering around not doing much as the day progresses.

OK-rant over.
    Yeah, day 2 was practically unwatchable. Maybe they should just drop the pretense of following it live, since they really don't. At the end of round 2, do a recap where they go through each pick, and tell you a little bit about each player that was chosen. This doesn't have to be super deep, rocket science stuff, just connecting the dots between what you can read in a draft preview and what the "experts" know about the teams making the picks. Then do special interest junk/Kovalchuk bits until the end of round 3, at which point you do the same thing for that round, and so on. Just a thought.

My one pleasant surprise from draft weekend was the moment when Pierre McGuire (who I generally find pretty useless and grating) openly inferred that the Canadiens would have been better off drafting Kopitar than Carey Price back in '05. In that moment, I think I completely forgave him for the last 20 years.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper9 View Post
    No chance the Kings would take Wilde. Couldn't get Bode that close to the surf.
    “What am I gonna do?! Got cliffs on both sides. I’m not gunna paddle to New Zealand!”

One of my favorite quotes of all time.

@NHLRule75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    199 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLeftHand View Post
    Anyone think Bokk was the pick for skill and scoring, rather than Kupari?
    Me.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4836 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    I like the Kupari pick, but other players I was excited about the Kings getting (who were also available) are:

- Joe Veleno (taken 30th)
    - Jonatan Berggren (taken 33rd)
    - Jared McIsaac (taken 36th)
    - Filip Hallander (taken 58th)
    It's impossible to give any kind of grade here, Blake and Co went high risk with most of their selections.

It's not a complaint, but it is an even bigger gamble considering they have so very few prospects who seem more likely than not to make it to the NHL.

It's just the nature of picking where they did this year, and I do hope that they can catch some good fortune here. They haven't done much with their vaunted developmental system of late, and still don't have as much to work with as they should compared to their recent lack of success.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    711 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    It's impossible to give any kind of grade here, Blake and Co went high risk with most of their selections.

It's not a complaint, but it is an even bigger gamble considering they have so very few prospects who seem more likely than not to make it to the NHL.

It's just the nature of picking where they did this year, and I do hope that they can catch some good fortune here. They haven't done much with their vaunted developmental system of late, and still don't have as much to work with as they should compared to their recent lack of success.
    I don't entirely disagree with you, but I actually like that, in this draft, Blake went for a few home runs instead of "safe" picks. Veleno and McIsaac are probably the safest, in terms of likelihood to at least play in the NHL. It's very similar to Lombardi's 2007 draft. Reached with Hickey, nabbed Moller, nabbed Simmonds (who wasn't even ranked by CSS, like Shafigullin), and still landed a few players who were mainstays in the organization for years (Martinez, King). There were a couple strikeouts, but if any of these picks are hits, are we really going to lament if Kupari doesn't pan out?

Okay... some will.

It's definitely a risk. Hopefully the Kings have their infrastructure developed to help build these kids offensively. If not, then it really doesn't matter where the Kings pick. I understand not wanting to give a grade, but they seemed to have a plan to aim high with all their picks and hope that one or two become great NHLers.

I definitely agree they should have more to work with given their lack of success. I was hoping for a Muzzin/Martinez or Toffoli/Pearson move prior to the draft.

Schadenfreude
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    He needs an "E" before his name. Just saying.

I am such a nerd.
    I immediately saw his name then dubbed him "King Kupa" myself so...

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rekingsfan17 View Post
    I had Rasmus Kupari #15 on my list so I do like the pick. The only other two that were still available on my list above him were Dominik Bokk which I had at #11 and Ryan Merkley which I really liked and had him rated #6 on my list. I also kind of felt that they picked partly for need and partly wanting a somewhat safer pick.
    I was so excited when our pick came up and Merkley was still on the board. I feel that not picking Merkley is going to be a huge mistake...... The kid has world class skills and something to prove.....
    I totally agree about them being at least somewhat risk averse. If they weren't, guys like Merkley or Bokk or even Marachenko would likely have been the pick. The thing about Merkley is that while he has both the character and playing flaws, in addition to being supremely skilled, he was one of the younger players in draft- he is almost 11 months younger than some of the guys he is being compared to. His upside is enormous.

Of course, given the Kings bereft pipeline, and aging NHL roster, I don't have too much of a problem with the strategy.

Team Melf.
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    629 Post(s)

Everybody be preoccupied with making more Voynov threads they forget about the kids.

LA Kings Sign First Round Pick Rasmus Kupari to 3-Year Entry-Level Deal
    https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/la-ki...al/c-299486550
    Support Be the Match through Tanner's site

http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/...&team_id=23513

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    478 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper9 View Post
    That's because there is no NHL Mel Kiper.
    I count that as a GOOD thing. Kiper is a dork.

jom

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)

Rasmus Kupari has been loaned to play in Finland for next year

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018...o-finland.html
    "Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison