Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
Results 271 to 279 of 279

Thread: Kings to sign Ilya Kovalchuk for 3 Year, $6.5M AAV Contract

  1. #271
    1st Scoring Line
    hokiecat's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,303
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1030 Post(s)

    Default

    I thought the primary benefits of the signing bonus versus salary were that it was immune from escrow and provided protection against a buyout.

    Why would anyone be concerned about a lockout with a HHOF commissioner in charge?
    Last edited by hokiecat; July 2nd, 2018 at 06:45 AM.

  2. #272
    3rd Line Role Player
    Troy_Ice's Avatar
    Karma: 1185000
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Drew also getting big signing bonuses so he's as protected as can be
    Good. I haven't seen the details about how salary is spread across years, but the report I saw said (only) $20m of the $88 was signing bonuses. If it is all in the potential lockout years then he's is fine. If not he may have made a mistake.

    There was an interesting conversation between Frank Provenzano (former Dallas AGM) and Jim Nice (CAA agent) on Custance's podcast last week and Nice was talking about how for the top players the salaries are all based on percentage of the cap. It makes me think that we should see all the CAA players waiting to resign until the cap is announced since a bump of say $4m in a year could mean something like an additional $400-500k for a player per year. If so, Drew may have left some money on the table by signing early.

  3. #273
    The Dolphin Cares!
    orpheus's Avatar
    Karma: 11292000
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    22,544
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1927 Post(s)

    Default

    Y'all are making it sound like a lockout is all but guaranteed.

    What gives you that idea?




  4. #274
    All Star
    Ice24's Avatar
    Karma: 44287143
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8,460
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2044 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    Y'all are making it sound like a lockout is all but guaranteed.

    What gives you that idea?



    It's always good to have a break.

  5. #275
    2nd Scoring Line
    Catastrophe's Avatar
    Karma: 1370000
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLeftHand View Post
    Anyone care to explain the contract structure here? Why the de-escalating payout, if there is a NMC? Perhaps a handshake/verbal agreement that he retires after year two of the deal? In which case, I’m not even sure that frees us of the cap obligation due to his age at time of signing, right?
    Looks like it's not a full NMC, there would be a list of 7 teams.

    https://twitter.com/mayorNHL/status/1013609272427462656

  6. #276
    Remember Me?
    fuzzerson's Avatar
    Karma: 1922788
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5,920
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    721 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLeftHand View Post
    Anyone care to explain the contract structure here? Why the de-escalating payout, if there is a NMC? Perhaps a handshake/verbal agreement that he retires after year two of the deal? In which case, Iím not even sure that frees us of the cap obligation due to his age at time of signing, right?
    I heard an interesting comment by George McPhee after they sign Paul Stasney. He said the purposes of signing bonus versus salary is to protect the player against a buyout or work stoppage. Because signing bonuses have to be paid regardless

  7. #277
    All Star
    kingrussell's Avatar
    Karma: 5821139
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,433
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    427 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzerson View Post
    I heard an interesting comment by George McPhee after they sign Paul Stasney. He said the purposes of signing bonus versus salary is to protect the player against a buyout or work stoppage. Because signing bonuses have to be paid regardless
    But Bettman is a Hall of Famer he wouldn't allow that!

  8. #278
    1st Scoring Line
    Bollocks's Avatar
    Karma: 1473012
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    524 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Ice View Post
    It makes me think that we should see all the CAA players waiting to resign until the cap is announced since a bump of say $4m in a year could mean something like an additional $400-500k for a player per year. If so, Drew may have left some money on the table by signing early.
    It's not like no one knew it was going up by about that much. It would make no difference IMO.

  9. #279
    3rd Line Role Player
    Troy_Ice's Avatar
    Karma: 1185000
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    It's not like no one knew it was going up by about that much. It would make no difference IMO.
    This year we had a pretty wide range of between $2m and $4m in the early projection. We have no idea what it will be next year.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •