Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    For King, Ace Whole
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    331 Post(s)

I only played street and driveway hockey, am right handed in all sports, and throw with my right hand.

When I started playing hockey, I was a naturally left handed shot although shooting and controlling the puck right handed also was fairly easy for me if I wanted, but clearly left handed was superior and I always used a left handed stick.

When it came time to order a hockey stick for my grandson, I didn't know what to get him so we ordered a flat (uncurved) child's stick for him to start out with.

Somewhere I read that what you do is lay an ordinary household broom on the ground and instruct the player to pick it up and sweep the floor. Whichever hand is doing the "pushing" of the broom, or the lower hand, determines the handedness of the player.

I sweep the floor left handed.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    That's why the Canadian peeps learn this hand position when they are YOUNG.

When you are older, and having done an opposite hand position, it's gonna present more problems than solutions if you try to re-train your hand positions.

That's a whole lotta of re-training and sacrifice of other stick handling abilities just to have a stong(er) hand for a one-handed poke.

If your non-dominant hand is "that" weak, then strengthen it. It's the simplest and best solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    You've got it backwards. For most righties, the natural way to hold your stick is with your dominant right hand at the top of the stick, because sometimes you have to play the puck one-handed. If you're using the stick one-handed and holding it in your dominant right hand, you put your left hand under the right. Which makes you a left shot. Little kids are normally started with a flat blade, and then once they figure out which way they shoot naturally, you get them a stick with a blade curved to that side.

Check out this video of Kovalev shooting one handed (at 0:28). He's shooting with his dominant, right hand, holding the stick at the top. His left hand naturally falls below his dominant hand, making him a left shot.

Quote Originally Posted by vindogla View Post
    I only played street and driveway hockey, am right handed in all sports, and throw with my right hand.

When I started playing hockey, I was a naturally left handed shot although shooting and controlling the puck right handed also was fairly easy for me if I wanted, but clearly left handed was superior and I always used a left handed stick.

When it came time to order a hockey stick for my grandson, I didn't know what to get him so we ordered a flat (uncurved) child's stick for him to start out with.

Somewhere I read that what you do is lay an ordinary household broom on the ground and instruct the player to pick it up and sweep the floor. Whichever hand is doing the "pushing" of the broom, or the lower hand, determines the handedness of the player.

Thanks guys... not 100% sure, but start getting the concept.

My son is going to be 8, just started hockey a few months... do you think it is already late?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1864 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vindogla View Post

That's funny because my "broom-sweep" hand position is opposite my hockey stick position.
    Then again I am also goofy footed.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3028 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIEC View Post
    Thanks guys... not 100% sure, but start getting the concept.

My son is going to be 8, just started hockey a few months... do you think it is already late?
    Too late for changing his shooting side? It might be. Did you start him with a flat blade?

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Too late for changing his shooting side? It might be. Did you start him with a flat blade?
    He just started Lil' King class (really first time to play hockey) back in March (4 months ago), and yes, at that time he was using a flat blade.
    Now of course using the curved ones...

After 4 months, I found out that he spent a lot more time on practicing skating than stick handling.

For the past week or so, I started asking him to use that flat blade to practice the stick handling (just the basic one, left and right, left and right) at home, 20-30 minutes a day.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3028 Post(s)

He just started Lil' King class (really first time to play hockey) back in March (4 months ago), and yes, at that time he was using a flat blade.
    Now of course using the curved ones...
    So presumably he found the way he feels most comfortable.

After 4 months, I found out that he spent a lot more time on practicing skating than stick handling.
    Good. Skating is more important at this stage.

For the past week or so, I started asking him to use that flat blade to practice the stick handling (just the basic one, left and right, left and right) at home, 20-30 minutes a day.
    If he's already playing/practicing on the ice with a curved blade, he shouldn't be practicing with a flat blade at home. You do that to find out which side he prefers.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

If he's already playing/practicing on the ice with a curved blade, he shouldn't be practicing with a flat blade at home. You do that to find out which side he prefers.
    Thanks for you advice... I will consult with his coach to confirm that.

Well, I believe other than "strength/power", dominant means you feel most comfortable right?
    This goes back to my first original question... you will need to spend more time on the non-dominant.
    Of course, do it at the very young age is good... I understand this part... but if my son just start hockey for a few months... I am wondering if he can change his habit and get out of his comfort zone.
    If it is really like you said, skating is more important at this age... hopefully... maybe he still have a chance. Still, I will leave it to his coach and him to decide.

Reason why I give him the flat blade was, I saw a 13-year old McDavid exercise on YouTube and I believe it would be very useful.
    He kept doing the stick handling (with a flat blade) while moving his feet in different patterns (and also heads up), so that he could separate his thinking on his hands and legs, and everything could go natural (or by reflex). Just like basketball players don't need to look at the ball while dribbling.

Anyway, thanks again.

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    312 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    Really don't understand the letting of Folin go unless they didn't think they could afford him. I really thought he acquitted himself quite well as a lower pairing guy. Oh well.
    Yeah, he was better than decent. Bottom line, I just don't think they were ready to make a trade to thin out the overcrowded left side yet. They made the choice that Martinez on his off side is still a better player than Folin.

But looking ahead, if Brickley makes the team in September and Clague makes the team a year later, then it's not hard to imagine that 3 out of these 5 --> Muzzin, Martinez, Forbort, Fantenberg, Phaneuf - are playing their final year with LA.

I would guess,
    Phaneuf is a strong buyout candidate for next summer.
    Forbort is a strong candidate to lose his spot to Brickley this season.
    Martinez is probably not the ideal long term partner for LaDue or Clague. So regardless which side he plays, the fit doesn't project to be there in the 2nd or 3rd pair.

If I made the "boxes," which I obviously don't, they'd look like something like this a year from now:
    Brickley/Doughty
    Muzzin/LaDue
    Clague/Veteran to be acquired
    Fantenberg

But those kids have to get it done.

For King, Ace Whole
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    331 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    That's funny because my "broom-sweep" hand position is opposite my hockey stick position.
    Then again I am also goofy footed.
    You may have heard, it's not too late to change...

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Just remember to reply you.

I spoke with my son's coach and he is a Russian. He confirmed that they did this also, as he himself is a right hander but shoots as a lefty.
    He also said it is kind of old school method, and as long as the kid feels comfortable and natural, it is okay, no need to change it.

I had my son tried a bit lefty but did not like it, so I think he will remain as a righty then...