Thread: Anyone make it to development camp?

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3296 Post(s)

Default Anyone make it to development camp?

If anyone can swing it, we'd all like to get other opinions on how Gabe looks on the ice as well as the other youngins

So far from Dooley at Insider:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2018/06/26...ay-1-notebook/

It can be weird to think of an 18-year old player as being a “veteran” but a veteran presence is exactly what Gabriel Vilardi brings to Kings Development Camp. While Vilardi did not suit up with the Kings during the 2017-18 season, an injury kept him in Los Angeles throughout training camp and into the beginning of the season, which allowed him to function around NHL players on a day-to-day basis. Vilardi’s experience with the culture of the Kings organization at the NHL level was something that Mike Donnelly of the Kings Player Development department feels is a major factor at this week’s camp.

“It’s a huge bonus, it’s the culture of the LA Kings,” Donnelly said of Vilardi’s presence around the younger prospects. “Gabe being around here, he was really quiet last year and he just did his work. He was around a lot of NHL guys and I think that made a big difference for him. He kept to himself, he did his rehab work, it was really awesome with how he handled it. Our culture here is great for him, it’s helped him and he’s helped us with the younger guys this year, it’s awesome. When you have that special personality, it’s really great for the younger players. Our culture here in LA is a really positive one and it’s an excellent place to play.”
    Anyway pics and thoughts appreciated. Schedule information here

Tuesday, June 26 – Thursday, June 28:
    Forwards: 8:15 a.m.
    Defensemen: 9:30 a.m.
    Goalies: 10:45 a.m.
    All three groups: 3:30 p.m.

Friday, June 29:
    All three groups: 9:15

Keep in mind that these dates and times are always subject to change and likely will. In previous years, the groups have taken part in team bonding exercises in Manhattan Beach and will likely do so again; those excursions have previously taken part in the afternoon.
    http://lakingsinsider.com/2018/06/26...invites-notes/

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1031 Post(s)

I wanted to go but on business travel. Maybe tomorrow afternoon if my flight lands early enough and I can catch an Uber out of LAX.

@NHLRule75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    196 Post(s)

I'm also hoping someone went and can give us a breakdown. This is an exciting Dev camp, probably the best talent we have had at a camp in 10 years.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1808 Post(s)

Any truth to the rumor that Stevens attended coaches development camp after the Kings were bounced by the Knights?

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Yes, but that's supposed to be a secret like Drew's contract talks with the Kings.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1031 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kngcussion View Post
    I'm also hoping someone went and can give us a breakdown. This is an exciting Dev camp, probably the best talent we have had at a camp in 10 years.
    I went to the afternoon scrimmage but was underwhelmed. I don't know what they were trying to do but so many of the plays seemed to have one pass too many. Particularly for the talent level (i.e. mix of draft picks and invitees).

Akil Thomas looked great at the start (good skating, good reads) and then got worse as the scrimmage continued.
    Vilardi is great but that is Capt Obvious stuff. In addition to the skill plays, he was lifting sticks and doing the little things right.
    Best line was Eyssimont-Vilardi-Sodergran.
    Shortridge made some nice saves including 3 really good ones in about 10 seconds. Then I looked and saw he had a 1995 birth year.
    Sodergran has some good speed. He seems like a good pickup in the 6th.
    Elynuik and Durkley kept cheating on faceoffs and getting mad at each other which I found humorous.
    Kupari didn't impress me. Nothing stood out. He didn't make good/great reads without the puck, he wasn't flying past people, and he forced some passes to teammates in heavy traffic. Nothing about his game said first round pick to me.

White team won 3-2 on a next goal wins it GWG by Hudson Elynuik. Two things about that kid. One, he's really big. Two, I remember his dad playing in the 90s, so seeing the son in Kings camp was another reminder of my general oldness. Elynuik was good, not great but very tall. I'm kind of surprised Carolina never inked him to an ELC.

Overall, not a bad way to spend an hour during the afternoon. It beats the 405.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    375 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    I went to the afternoon scrimmage but was underwhelmed. I don't know what they were trying to do but so many of the plays seemed to have one pass too many. Particularly for the talent level (i.e. mix of draft picks and invitees).

Akil Thomas looked great at the start (good skating, good reads) and then got worse as the scrimmage continued.
    Vilardi is great but that is Capt Obvious stuff. In addition to the skill plays, he was lifting sticks and doing the little things right.
    Best line was Eyssimont-Vilardi-Sodergran.
    Shortridge made some nice saves including 3 really good ones in about 10 seconds. Then I looked and saw he had a 1995 birth year.
    Sodergran has some good speed. He seems like a good pickup in the 6th.
    Elynuik and Durkley kept cheating on faceoffs and getting mad at each other which I found humorous.
    Kupari didn't impress me. Nothing stood out. He didn't make good/great reads without the puck, he wasn't flying past people, and he forced some passes to teammates in heavy traffic. Nothing about his game said first round pick to me.

White team won 3-2 on a next goal wins it GWG by Hudson Elynuik. Two things about that kid. One, he's really big. Two, I remember his dad playing in the 90s, so seeing the son in Kings camp was another reminder of my general oldness. Elynuik was good, not great but very tall. I'm kind of surprised Carolina never inked him to an ELC.

Overall, not a bad way to spend an hour during the afternoon. It beats the 405.

Couldn't you add something like ...

"And every time Vilardi got the puck he just flew down the ice and skated around everybody and
    put it in the net past a helpless goalie. He must have done that 15 times or so.
    "

That would make for some great reading.
    Last edited by triplcrown; June 28th, 2018 at 11:04 PM.

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Yes.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1031 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
    Couldn't you add something like ...

"And every time Vilardi got the puck he just skated around everybody and put it in the net past a helpless goalie. He
    must have done that 15 times or so.
    "

That would make for some great reading.
    Ha ha. He was the most polished player but dev camp does not have an abundance of talent. Plus I caught a whole 1 hour of camp this year due to business travel. So there's the small sample size there. The score of the exhibition this afternoon was 3-2 and that's with the 2nd half of scrimmage being 4 on 4. So Kings hockey with not a lot of scoring happening. Of all the goals, I think the first one was the nicest-- Hults took a pass from (I think) Eysimmont and walked it in from the RD to the slot and then scored. I like it any time our defensemen carry the puck in off the point into a higher scoring area.

Watching Vilardi reminded me of when Toffoli and Pearson were together in rookie camp 5 or so years ago. They were head and shoulders above everyone else. Vilardi was not quite as exception relative to the average dev camp player but he just seemed more polished. He's probably the only forward that I remember lifting a stick to steal a puck. I think of it as the guy has his act together on the basics already so he's working on the next level stuff.

Rookie camp should be a better measure of what he can do. That's where Iafallo started to impress last fall and he never looked back.

One last add, Kupari and Sodergran were drafted as centers but both were playing RW in the scrimmage.

Win it again..for Tanner!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    459 Post(s)

all I know is that they took our ice on thursday am, bastages!