All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1064 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    Latest rumor, from a credible reporter (Brad Turner - LA Times) says the Lakers have offered Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Rondo, Stephenson, Beasley, and 2 1st round picks. Also offering to take back Solomon Hill who is owed $13 million next year. Elfrid Payton supposedly coming back too.

So the remaining youngsters would Hart, Zubac, Wagner and Svi. We'd have 3-4 open roster spots which we'd fill up with waived/bought out players? Carmelo come on down.

Doesn't make any sense to me. We trade our 3 primary ball handlers other than LeBron? Is the plan for New Orleans to waive the expiring players and maybe they re-sign here?
    That's a steep, steep give.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

Lakers have withdrawn from the Anthony Davis sweepstakes according to the LA Times. They claim the Lakers had offered to send their entire young core of Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart and Zubac to the Pelicans, as well as KCP (having included him in place of Rondo, Stephenson and Beasley), and 2 first round picks. The Pelicans supposedly demanded 4 first rounders and 4 second rounders be included.

The Lakers offer is simply insane. Davis isn't worth it. From New Orleans perspective, I think they may feel that none of the individual players are good enough and a quantity over qualify trade isn't what they should settle for. They know they can still trade him in the offseason, so they are in no particular rush.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1064 Post(s)

Lakers have withdrawn from the Anthony Davis sweepstakes according to the LA Times. They claim the Lakers had offered to send their entire young core of Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart and Zubac to the Pelicans, as well as KCP (having included him in place of Rondo, Stephenson and Beasley), and 2 first round picks. The Pelicans supposedly demanded 4 first rounders and 4 second rounders be included.

The Lakers offer is simply insane. Davis isn't worth it. From New Orleans perspective, I think they may feel that none of the individual players are good enough and a quantity over qualify trade isn't what they should settle for. They know they can still trade him in the offseason, so they are in no particular rush.
    The Lakers' offer is totally insane. And the fact that New Orleans wanted 4 first rounders tells me they had absolutely no desire to trade with LA anyway, or they're just way, way out there. I wonder how much of all these stories going around are true or just sources pulling info one way or another. You hope it doesn't damage the psyche of the young guys. Man you wonder whether the Lakers have any recourse for cross collusion against them from the rest of the league (mostly kidding).

In a weird way I wonder if this isn't all leaking so the Lakers show they're dead serious about a superstar (a la PG's feelings hurt they didn't "really" try to trade for him when they had the chance), and in back rooms Magic still telling the young guys "relax you're our guys, don't listen to the noise".

Shelburne saying the Lakers have interest in Ariza if he were made available.

So roll with who you've got. Hope you get in the playoffs and make showing, and go after Kyrie in the offseason
    Last edited by ucsdguy1; February 5th, 2019 at 02:26 PM.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

Lakers lose to the Pacers by 42 points, which totally had nothing to do at all with nine of the players on the team finding out in the last couple of days that the Lakers had offered to trade them in at least one of their offers to the Pelicans. Pacer fans were chanting to Ingram "LeBron's going to trade you!" while he shot free throws.

And Pacer fans chanted "Not Worth Trading" when McGee shot free throws.
    Last edited by HeadInjury; February 5th, 2019 at 09:48 PM.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

Multiple reporters saying the Lakers are trading Svi and a 2021 second round pick to the Pistons for Reggie Bullock.

He's shooting 38% from the 3 and 87% from the line. Averaging 12 points a game.

So it's a short-term upgrade. His contract is up this year.

I guess the Lakers didn't want Svi to feel left out when they trade all the other youngsters.
    Last edited by HeadInjury; February 5th, 2019 at 09:55 PM.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

Lakers trade Zubac and Beasley to the Clippers for Mike Muscala. Muscala is a forward who can shoot the 3 (although only 34% this year) and shoots 87% from the line.

If you're wondering why they make this trade it's about clearing cap space for free agency. Bullock and Muscala have expiring contracts. Svi is under contract for next year and Zubac will have a cap hold. With them off the books, the Lakers can have up to $38.7 in cap space if they trade their first round pick. Durant's max contract is $38.2. So the Lakers will have to space to sign any max free agent in the off season.

With the trade, Lakers have also opened up a roster spot for Carmelo or another player on the buyout market.

Lakers with a nice comeback win last night over Boston. Came back from a big first half deficit to win on a buzzer beater from ex-Celtic Rondo after a wild scramble following a blocked shot.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

First game back from the All Star Break, the Lakers come back from a 19-point deficit to beat the Rockets. LeBron and Ingram with big games. Lakers are now 2.5 games behind the Clippers for the 8th spot with a game in hand.

Over the next 5 games, the Lakers play New Orleans twice, Memphis, Milwaukee and Phoenix. Really need to win at least 4 of those.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1064 Post(s)

Over the next 5 games, the Lakers play New Orleans twice, Memphis, Milwaukee and Phoenix. Really need to win at least 4 of those.
    Not off to a good start

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

Lakers beat the Pelicans last night, but perhaps only because the Pelicans only played Anthony Davis for 3 quarters, where he had 22 points in 21 minutes.

Ingram has been playing really well recently. Kuzma, Butler and of course LeBron are contributing. What we seem to be seeing is a real drop off in the play of Rondo, McGee and Chandler. Not just offensively, but in terms of hustle and defense. Rondo in particular is seeming to be moping in his role. One thing that the Lakers miss about Lonzo Ball is his defense.

If you want to look at how bad the Lakers' defense is watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIVsS22sQhw

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

Instead of going 4 out of their last 5 against mostly bad teams, the Lakers went 1-4, effectively ending their season. Also effectively ending Luke Walton's tenure.

When Magic was hired I expressed concern about his ability to evaluate talent. The Muscala trade has been a disaster. Muscala had a real good game a while back against the Lakers and I have to wonder whether Magic was overly swayed by that. Zubac isn't having a huge impact with the Clippers, but he is playing fine. The Butler for Svi trade has worked out, but the Muscala trade certainly has not.

Ball is still out which should not come as a surprise. No way he was coming back in 4-6 weeks with that injury.

The Lakers currently would pick 13th in the draft with a 5% chance of moving into the top 4. Falling to the 9th pick is not out of the question, which would give them a 20% chance of a top 4 pick. Picking in the 9th to 13th range should give them the chance to add a shooter, something they really need.

Almost without exception, the 1-year signings have not worked out. McGee would be the exception to that, although his play isn't as strong as it was earlier in the season.

This season is not the real test of Magic's leadership, it is what happens this off season in trades and free agency. That and of course who they hire to replace Walton. If it's Jason Kidd or Tyron Lue, God help us.