1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    405 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post
    @triplecrown I get what you're saying about Kempe and Iafallo, however, I wonder what their numbers would be like if they were to play for Vegas.
    They're numbers would be good against us. That's for sure.

KingsFanNC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

I think the concept of a shutdown third line center is outdated. The Kings need to be looking at the third line as a scoring line. Kopi is the shutdown guy when we have to get a stop despite being the top line guy the rest of the time. The idea of two scoring lines, a grind line, and an energy line is peaked with the 90's and early 00 Redwings and Devils. Yes it work for most of our life time but the last few years have been about constant attacking. The Kings won two cups with every line built to stop the other team but now it is about rolling consistent pressure. I'd rather see that third line groomed as a scoring line and eventual replacement for the top six than as a defense unit focused on playing 5v5 like a PK.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    405 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colorfinger View Post
    I think the concept of a shutdown third line center is outdated. The Kings need to be looking at the third line as a scoring line. Kopi is the shutdown guy when we have to get a stop despite being the top line guy the rest of the time. The idea of two scoring lines, a grind line, and an energy line is peaked with the 90's and early 00 Redwings and Devils. Yes it work for most of our life time but the last few years have been about constant attacking. The Kings won two cups with every line built to stop the other team but now it is about rolling consistent pressure. I'd rather see that third line groomed as a scoring line and eventual replacement for the top six than as a defense unit focused on playing 5v5 like a PK.

I sort of agree with you.

But having a 2nd unit (whether it's the 2nd or "3rd" actual line) capable of making other teams' top lines' shifts
    unpleasant and unproductive, is a big help, and energy-saver, to a top line, like our Kopi line.

I think a line could be built around Kempe that could truly be a 2-way threat AND check top opposing units too.
    Iafallo/Kempe/Brown
    or
    Iafallo/Kempe/Lewis
    or
    Pearson/Kempe/Brown or Lewis or Brods?

Not sure which combo would have best chemistry, but 1 of those, or a variation, may do the trick, IMO.
    Last edited by triplcrown; August 7th, 2018 at 02:13 AM.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colorfinger View Post
    To be fair, Washington just won the Cup with the exact same kind of lineup you say is outdated. Neither Eller or Beagle offer up significantly better offense than Stoll and Fraser/Richards.

I think the rules have been altered to favor skating, but until we see one of those teams win anything or contend for consecutive years, I think it's really premature to say that era has ended.

That being said, if Vilardi can be healthy and earn a spot, I see no reason why it would be better for his development to start down the lineup.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
    Kovalchuk - Vilardi - Carter
    Pearson - Kempe - Toffoli
    Professor - Mary Ann - Lewis

That gives you the balance you are looking for, allows young, creative players to play in their best suited roles, and puts more speed on the wings.

Summer disclaimer and all that noise.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    428 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    To be fair, Washington just won the Cup with the exact same kind of lineup you say is outdated. Neither Eller or Beagle offer up significantly better offense than Stoll and Fraser/Richards.

I think the rules have been altered to favor skating, but until we see one of those teams win anything or contend for consecutive years, I think it's really premature to say that era has ended.

That being said, if Vilardi can be healthy and earn a spot, I see no reason why it would be better for his development to start down the lineup.

That gives you the balance you are looking for, allows young, creative players to play in their best suited roles, and puts more speed on the wings.

OOoo. I like that you put Gabe on a line with both his dad and stepdad. The "My Two Dads" line? Oh my gawd we're old. Lols.

Real talk: That line might be fun to watch. Nice. =)

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1956 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post

Cool lines, but Stevens isn't that creative, and Kovalchuk's ego won't have it.