All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John a90 View Post
    Hockey was doing just fine in L.A. before Gretz. Yes, it did bring in a lot more fans because of it. Back then Ch. 4, KTLA, Chan 5 and Chan 9 were covering some of the games.
    Channel 4? They never did Kings games as far as I know. As far as the lean years after 93, I blame a combination of Sam the disaster McMaster, new ownership, although granted I'm sure McNall hamstrung them with what he left, and no real plan for how to get back in contention. I never blamed Gretzky for forcing a trade. The Kings were putting him out there with 4th line and AHL level talent. I would have wanted out too.Those last two seasons were rough.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingrussell View Post
    Channel 4? They never did Kings games as far as I know. As far as the lean years after 93, I blame a combination of Sam the disaster McMaster, new ownership, although granted I'm sure McNall hamstrung them with what he left, and no real plan for how to get back in contention. I never blamed Gretzky for forcing a trade. The Kings were putting him out there with 4th line and AHL level talent. I would have wanted out too. Those seasons from 1994 to 2009 (except for 2001) were rough.
    FTFY. McMaster was also hamstrung, and actually rescued himself from the title of "Worst Kings GM ever" by the Norstrom trade. Heck, even the much-maligned Zhitnik trade brought back Boucher. The main culprit for the Kings' collapse after 1993 was McNall's crumbling financial empire.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1956 Post(s)

The Zhitnik trade was horrific.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    728 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingrussell View Post
    Channel 4? They never did Kings games as far as I know. As far as the lean years after 93, I blame a combination of Sam the disaster McMaster, new ownership, although granted I'm sure McNall hamstrung them with what he left, and no real plan for how to get back in contention. I never blamed Gretzky for forcing a trade. The Kings were putting him out there with 4th line and AHL level talent. I would have wanted out too.Those last two seasons were rough.
    Ok,Ok, so I stand corrected on that Ch.4 thing. But, everything else I said is correct and for real. Hal Fishman Ch.5 during those years gave way to some Kings games. Stu Nahan, that great Canadian and ex Goalie handled the reins of Kings broadcasts, was at most all games. This was back in the days of the Great Western Forum. Kings played at another venue before that, but that site is lost in my memories of today.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    465 Post(s)

Ok,Ok, so I stand corrected on that Ch.4 thing. But, everything else I said is correct and for real. Hal Fishman Ch.5 during those years gave way to some Kings games. Stu Nahan, that great Canadian and ex Goalie handled the reins of Kings broadcasts, was at most all games. This was back in the days of the Great Western Forum. Kings played at another venue before that, but that site is lost in my memories of today.
    Stu Nahan didn't "handle" Kings broadcasts. He was no doubt good for hockey in LA and he was probably a sideline reporter at times but he didn't run the broadcast. He did do play-by-play for ON TV in the 70s for the Kings....and he was actually the Flyers first PbyP guy in 1967 before he came to LA...so yeah, he was a hockey guy no doubt.

As to the Kings "over the air" they were on Channel 5 in the 70s and Channel 9 (later) locally...plus Prime Ticket etc from about 1985 or so.

I also don't think the Kings were "doing fine" before Wayne...however, I still believe they'd still exist if TGO never came here. Hockey was an afterthought in LA before TGO but that is due to poor management (actually poor ownership) not because they didn't have a "star" as McNall would claim. That poor trend actually continued with McNall and beyond. That is why it took nearly 40 years to win a Cup.

jom

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1956 Post(s)

Ok,Ok, so I stand corrected on that Ch.4 thing. But, everything else I said is correct and for real. Hal Fishman Ch.5 during those years gave way to some Kings games. Stu Nahan, that great Canadian and ex Goalie handled the reins of Kings broadcasts, was at most all games. This was back in the days of the Fabulous Forum. Kings played at another venue before that, but that site is lost in my memories of today.
    FTFY

Back in the day it was red and white, then in 88 or 89 it got naming rights with Great Western bank, and painted blue and white (GW colors)

SHOOT!
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    The Zhitnik trade was horrific.
    has to be one of the 5 worst trades in team history