Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    455 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nillson View Post
    Or we would have continued to develop Phil Sykes, Morris Lukowich, and Dean Kennedy. You have no idea what would have happened.
    Oh...that's most certainly true given the ownership/leadership the Kings had since 1967. So I'm certainly not saying by trading for TGO that the Kings gave up the possibility of building a real winner through the draft. They did in a way but given their MO the previous 20 years here there is no telling what direction they may have gone. I mean, it took 10 years AFTER TGO left until DL showed up....so who knows what would have happened post 1988 without Wayne?

I just don't subscribe the theory the Kings would have left town or whatever and I firmly believe the effect on the NHL as a whole was far greater than it was for the Kings.

jom

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    I want to talk sports with you!

Show me your lighting bolt!!

Did you hear about it on Hacksaw's Hot Headlines?
    AHHH the Mighty 690! Miss those days when Romey used to be not give a damn. DRUG DRUG DRUUUUUUUUUUG TEST! Mike Krzyzewski, Monica Seles and the whole rat family stuff used to crack me up.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    427 Post(s)

Rancho Penaschitos, I want to hear from you!

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    427 Post(s)

Used to love to listen to Jim Healy too. The flag is up!

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    305 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    He also sank the team via cronyism and left it in tatters.

Forgive those of us that were around before and during that trade for having mixed or negative emotions. The Kings were finally managing to hang on to young, highly talented players and it all went out the window for a few years of near-glory brought in by a criminal on the backs of stolen funds, and then left the franchise in ruins for nearly a decade after. It was a fun time while it lasted, but the full picture shows as much, if not more agony than joy.
    Seems to me ownership would've found a way to bet it all on red, so to speak, with or without Gretzky and his cronies.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    525 Post(s)

Absolutely. It put a franchise in Orange County. It brought a LOT of attention to the league and played a big part in the expansion to non-traditional markets.

It just cost this franchise a hell of a lot. And that can't be forgotten, unless one has a major Jones for the Khristich's of the world or prefers to romanticize things without looking at the full picture.
    Looking at the full picture, it may as well mean LA is left without a hockey team if it didn't happen. This move likely saved the franchise, despite the fact that it nearly sunk it for quite a long time. Sounds weird, but it's unlikely hockey would gain any reasonable traction even with successful young players in Luc and Carson.

While I'm at it...this trade broke Carson, didn't it? It seems he didn't like the media spotlight, and being the centerpiece going back to Edmonton...it must have broken him.

SHOOT!
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soyokaze View Post
    AHHH the Mighty 690! Miss those days when Romey used to be not give a damn. DRUG DRUG DRUUUUUUUUUUG TEST! Mike Krzyzewski, Monica Seles and the whole rat family stuff used to crack me up.
    Back when sports was fun on am radio... loved hacksaw!!

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4564 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    Looking at the full picture, it may as well mean LA is left without a hockey team if it didn't happen. This move likely saved the franchise, despite the fact that it nearly sunk it for quite a long time. Sounds weird, but it's unlikely hockey would gain any reasonable traction even with successful young players in Luc and Carson.

While I'm at it...this trade broke Carson, didn't it? It seems he didn't like the media spotlight, and being the centerpiece going back to Edmonton...it must have broken him.
    The idea that the Gretzky trade saved the franchise has always been incorrect though. The Kings were a perennial also-ran, but they were never in danger of leaving.

Gretzky absolutely helped them move well up the rung, and provided a hell of a lot of excitement over the first few years.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)

The idea that the Gretzky trade saved the franchise has always been incorrect though. The Kings were a perennial also-ran, but they were never in danger of leaving.

Gretzky absolutely helped them move well up the rung, and provided a hell of a lot of excitement over the first few years.
    We are talking about a generation or two of hockey players and fans in Los Angeles, Southern California and even United States.
    That's how much Gretzky influenced, not limited to Los Angeles Kings.
    Yes, Kopi, JQ, DD brought the club 2 Stanley Cups, but I look at the big picture. The magnitude of the whole league.

I even know some roller hockey players turned into ice hockey player because of Gretzky, because of the 93 final.

You can feel free to discredit the Gretzky trade and how this brought the Kings some dark years... but the consensus is, he saved hockey in Southern California, and a main reason when the league expanded successfully. Kopi, DD, JQ could not do this, and no other players in the foreseeable future can achieve this.

His mission and what he accomplished were much bigger than just "saving Los Angeles Kings".