Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    274 Post(s)

Default On this day, 30 years ago...

I was 5 years old when this happened, as a Toronto boy I then became a Kings fan for life.

Halloween Dolphin!
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)

Anybody else think that 30 years from now, we will still be talking to whether Voynov should return to the Kings?

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    583 Post(s)

I've brought this up many times over the years and people still don't believe it. But the evidence continues to mount. Craig Redmond was part of the Wayne Gretzky deal.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...us-rest-career

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    331 Post(s)

I was a Kings fan and playing hockey before the Gretzky trade. Unfortunately though there weren't really any rinks around (I think Norwalk and Paramount were the closest ones). I was 12 when the news came about and I believe I found out at home since I was in 8th grade and I remember how excited I was. Mostly because they were going to show almost all the games on TV now since before they showed them once every so often. Being 12 I didn't exactly have a job and my parents worked full time so it wasn't every day I got to go to a game.

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)

Anyone else remember KCBS and Jim Hill interviewing Gretz like in 1983 when Gretz was still with the Oil and happened to be in Beverly Hills for some reason. The interview left two impressions on me - first he was wearing a full length mink coat, which cracked me up and Jim asked him about carrying cash for some reason and Gretz said he never carried cash only "a card that he used for paying for everything." It really hit me as he wasn't really talking about a credit card but what sounded like a debit card and I thought that was an amazing idea. Secondly I remember Jim asking him if he would ever want to play in LA and Gretz sheepishly giggling and saying something, like "yeah that would be cool." Right then and there I told my dad who was also watching that Gretz would be a King someday. Still when dealt here it was a shock.

They're a finesse team.
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)

All Star
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2005 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DRGinLBC View Post
    Hey Bob, that's Nichols on the left point, not Gretzky....lolz.

...unless the audio is not sync'd right....was Bob seeing #9 and thinking it was #9 9?

All Star
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2005 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DRGinLBC View Post
    Hey Bob, that's Nichols on the left point, not Gretzky....lolz.

...unless the audio is not sync'd right....was Bob seeing #9 and thinking it was #9 9?

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

Imagine if there wasn't Gretzky, where would the Kings be today???
    Besides the actual Stanley Cup (**** the Habs), Gretz brought almost everything he could have for the club.
    That's why Gretz is the greatest King anytime over DD, Kopi, JQ IMO.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    476 Post(s)

I did not hear the news until 11pm that night. Being a Kings fan for about 15 years by then made this moment a complete and utter shock as I did not hear any of the rumors (such as Fred Roggin on Ch 4 who evidently jokingly mentioned it about a week before) nor did any of my friends who knew I was a fan say anything to me. It was a quick news cast on Ch 56 just before 11pm waiting to watch a re-run of "The Fugitive" is where I heard the news. The anchor quickly mentioned it...almost in an off-hand manner. I said "WTF?". Then after getting up off the floor I switched to Ch 2 where they were showing the highlights of the press conference in LA earlier that evening. I then went into panic mode for 15 min. trying to figure out who they traded....

As to what would have happened to the Kings: They were not going anywhere but overall the league would have been a lot different. Gretzky's other possible destinations would NOT have had the effect that coming to LA had...neither Detroit or even New York would have established the fan base like it did with him coming to LA.

jom