Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: On this day, 30 years ago...

  1. #41
    2nd Scoring Line
    RONNIEC's Avatar
    Karma: 1089000
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    I am not discrediting it at all - go back and read the posts. I am suggesting that the full picture of the trade needs to.be considered instead of just romanticizing the positives and calling it a day.

    Might as well give all the credit to McNall and his crimes if we are only looking at the positive impact. He bought Gretzky with essentially stolen funds.

    And one thing to always consider is that different people have different experiences. I wasn't a fan of Gretzky's before he arrived. Ungodly talent for sure, but he always had a bit of weasel to his character. He was the figurehead of the enemy before that trade, and it took a while to adjust to losing the teams colors and identity, just when it looked like they finally started to turn the corner and retain picks and prospects and show some progress.

    The early 90's were a blast. Getting to see Kurri and Sandstrom was a treat. Getting to the Finals was amazing, and besting the Leafs that year was especially gratifying.

    It wasn't difficult to find others to play ball hockey at the local tennis courts, and we finally had enough players my age to form full teams in Ontario instead of splitting squads with Norwalk and Pasadena.

    It was a terrific time to be a hockey fan.

    But don't forget that the team couldn't stay at the same road hotels twice in a year because they couldn't afford to pay the previous bills, or that popular players were traded away to bring in Gretzky's buddies, or that when they were finally so broke and limited and the ride was over, Gretzky demanded to be traded to one team and the Kings got absolute garbage in return, and that the franchise was moribund for a decade because of total mismanagement.
    Mondo,

    Basically you summarized all in your last paragraph.
    It was bad management.

    It was nothing about the trade itself(maybe we gave up a bit too much), it was nothing about Gretzky (him coming and asking to leave), it was not about McNall (if we believe the GM/President are the ones to handle contracts, making trades) and it was not about McNall's money at all.

    It was bad management.

  2. #42
    1st Scoring Line
    Moog's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,792
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1829 Post(s)

    Default

    Truth be told Gretzky coming to LA was a double edged sword for Kings fans.

    Fans got "instant-gratification" but the flip side was long term mediocrity. (until Deano)

    With growing the game, sure Gretzky helped quite a bit, in terms of the Kings becoming "legit", and spawning expansion around the league into previously unthinkable markets.
    However, there was another side of the "sword" here too: Expansion/relocation into dead-end markets like Phoenix/Arizona, Atlanta, Miami/Florida, Carolina.

    Long story short, having Grezky in LA was fantastic.
    Is he the greatest King? Nope. No way. Give that honor to the one's who won the Cup(s) Doughty comes to mind.....you can throw in some others as well.

  3. #43
    2nd Scoring Line
    RONNIEC's Avatar
    Karma: 1089000
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Truth be told Gretzky coming to LA was a double edged sword for Kings fans.

    Fans got "instant-gratification" but the flip side was long term mediocrity. (until Deano)

    With growing the game, sure Gretzky helped quite a bit, in terms of the Kings becoming "legit", and spawning expansion around the league into previously unthinkable markets.
    However, there was another side of the "sword" here too: Expansion/relocation into dead-end markets like Phoenix/Arizona, Atlanta, Miami/Florida, Carolina.

    Long story short, having Grezky in LA was fantastic.
    Is he the greatest King? Nope. No way. Give that honor to the one's who won the Cup(s) Doughty comes to mind.....you can throw in some others as well.
    Can I say that, greatest King ever (up to this point) is DD/Kopi/JQ, and the greatest player ever to play for Kings is Gretzky?

  4. #44
    Concussed Villain
    Mondo Blando's Avatar
    Karma: 6498204
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,488
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4568 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RONNIEC View Post
    Mondo,

    Basically you summarized all in your last paragraph.
    It was bad management.

    It was nothing about the trade itself(maybe we gave up a bit too much), it was nothing about Gretzky (him coming and asking to leave), it was not about McNall (if we believe the GM/President are the ones to handle contracts, making trades) and it was not about McNall's money at all.

    It was bad management.
    You realize that Gretzky basically ran the team at that point, right? He got everything he wanted. He WAS the management. McMaster was a puppet.

    Gretzky, for all of his on-ice skill was equally terrible off ice, giving jobs to his friends (ahem, alleged gambling buddies) and so forth. There is a very good reason why he has failed in his management opportunities since retirement.

  5. #45
    4th Line Insurance Policy
    Goon Squad's Avatar
    Karma: 1647866
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,973
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    305 Post(s)

    Default

    Barry Melrose gets some credit for the demise too, for demanding guys like Shuchuk and Marc Potvin be added to a team that didn't have a glaring deficiency in the guts department.

  6. #46
    2nd Scoring Line
    RONNIEC's Avatar
    Karma: 1089000
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    You realize that Gretzky basically ran the team at that point, right? He got everything he wanted. He WAS the management. McMaster was a puppet.

    Gretzky, for all of his on-ice skill was equally terrible off ice, giving jobs to his friends (ahem, alleged gambling buddies) and so forth. There is a very good reason why he has failed in his management opportunities since retirement.
    I agree of what you said in some way, but not all.
    If Gretzky was really running the team, he would not have traded Coffey his friend away and get GARY SHUCHUK (plus some scrubs)!!!! NO WAY!!!

    He might be a terrible coach, GM, but no way he would do that. Not you, not me, not him.

  7. #47
    Two-way grinding forward
    GrinderCB's Avatar
    Karma: 1112000
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

    Default

    I had a friend who ran a baseball card shop in OC and I stopped in one night on the way home from work. He said, "Did you hear about the Kings? They just traded for Gretzky." Naturally I didn't believe him. He said he was serious and gave me the details. "NO F%$#ING WAY!!!" was my response when it started to sink in. When I got home I couldn't wait for the news and the sports coverage. (We didn't have cable yet so no ESPN)

    To L.A.: Wayne Gretzky, Mike Krushelnyski and Marty McSorley

    To Edmonton: Jimmy Carson, the rights to Martin Gelinas, Kings 1st round picks in '89, '91 and '93, and $15 million in cash.

    At the time McSorley was kind of Gretzky's personal enforcer, so to speak. But I never understood why Krushelnyski was included..

  8. #48
    All Star
    John a90's Avatar
    Karma: 2230071
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4,634
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    649 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    The idea that the Gretzky trade saved the franchise has always been incorrect though. The Kings were a perennial also-ran, but they were never in danger of leaving.

    Gretzky absolutely helped them move well up the rung, and provided a hell of a lot of excitement over the first few years.
    Hockey was doing just fine in L.A. before Gretz. Yes, it did bring in a lot more fans because of it. Back then Ch. 4, KTLA, Chan 5 and Chan 9 were covering some of the games.

  9. #49
    All Star
    John a90's Avatar
    Karma: 2230071
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4,634
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    649 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    You realize that Gretzky basically ran the team at that point, right? He got everything he wanted. He WAS the management. McMaster was a puppet.

    Gretzky, for all of his on-ice skill was equally terrible off ice, giving jobs to his friends (ahem, alleged gambling buddies) and so forth. There is a very good reason why he has failed in his management opportunities since retirement.
    You are exactly right with your assessment. Being a grandparent now, I was around back then, Living in Berdo, married to a Canadian and of course, a huge Kings fan 1st and other teams fan 2nd.
    Let all the people around here argue with you, but you are completely right!!

  10. #50
    All Star
    John a90's Avatar
    Karma: 2230071
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4,634
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    649 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrinderCB View Post
    I had a friend who ran a baseball card shop in OC and I stopped in one night on the way home from work. He said, "Did you hear about the Kings? They just traded for Gretzky." Naturally I didn't believe him. He said he was serious and gave me the details. "NO F%$#ING WAY!!!" was my response when it started to sink in. When I got home I couldn't wait for the news and the sports coverage. (We didn't have cable yet so no ESPN)

    To L.A.: Wayne Gretzky, Mike Krushelnyski and Marty McSorley

    To Edmonton: Jimmy Carson, the rights to Martin Gelinas, Kings 1st round picks in '89, '91 and '93, and $15 million in cash.

    At the time McSorley was kind of Gretzky's personal enforcer, so to speak. But I never understood why Krushelnyski was included..
    Right, I've said it before, if not for Marty, Gretz wouldn't have had near the goals he did, which is why the call of a crooked stick was made by the Habs in the p/o's that year. They needed Marty on the bench to give them more of an advantage. It worked!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •