Hyperbolic V.I.P.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    Wow. There is a lot of hostility towards Cb, guessing he has a long standing history with most of you; meh, I think he's kind of fun. There is a very "The Emperor has no clothes!" vibe to him. To which I reply to his post: Dude what if we're kind of into exhibitionists emperors?
    Iím just glad I donít have to watch him dance anymore.

Hyperbolic V.I.P.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    I think people are doing that (unplugged) and then still come on the boards here and discuss the games and the roster.
    I did. I only watched the first three games last season. I could see where it was headed, despite making the POís.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Iím just glad I donít have to watch him dance anymore.
    I don't know. It was fun the first time I saw it. Admittedly less so after that. Then his quitting and giving up being a forum member not too long before the Kings actually won the cup had a special value.

I miss Neal more though. Whenever you saw the paper bag photo you knew fun reading was at hand.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    I think there are roles which need to be filled.

I don't think Carter should be traded yet until a young player shows they can handle the 2nd line center role. Neither Kempe, JAD, Amadio, or Vilardi have shown that responsibility capability yet.

If Carter were traded, you either force a player to play in over their heads, overpay someone to fulfill the role, or you bring in someone who you know won't succeed and create a losing culture.
    I agree that a rebuild is overdue, but trading Carter should not be at the top of the list. Too much upside from a cost /benefit + experience point of view. One of the best work ethics on the team and he sets a good example for the younger guys. Yes he's 33 years old, but he's still fast and one of the most productive players on the team. His skills don't seem to be diminishing at the rate many veteran forwards' have. For his level of production and leadership his $7M salary is reasonable.

Now if we are really going all in on the rebuild, and are trading for high draft picks and top prospects, maybe he is part of a package. Obviously, for the reasons I mentioned, he would bring a good price from a contending team looking for that extra piece. Still there are a lot of other players I'd like to see moved first.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    813 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    They aren't succeeding with Carter, and just made the playoffs without him for the majority of the season. The only reason you (the collective "you") stress seeing Kempe in the 2c role is you are worried about the teams playoff chances, and whether they get in or not (and I think they will), that is the best they can do. This is not a contender, and Kempe has more than enough NHL experience to be trusted as the 2c, even if it's a step down from Carter. I do think Anderson-Dolan should be sent down NOW and let him take this positive camp into a dominant CHL year and a trusted spot in the WJC's.

One playoff game won in four years IS a losing culture. Baby steps aren't needed, it's a full change of identity and purpose that must occur. Stevens and this style of play must go. I know some players will be able to adapt to a completely new tone and set of expectations, but they have to lose quality now to gain quality for the future.

The prime years of Kopitar and Doughty's deals are pointless if they can't contend. Take two years away from chasing the playoffs, build the list, groom the very few blue chippers you have now and give it a go with fresh enthusiasm and outlook in three years. Maybe Anze is still in top form, maybe he drops down to your #2 spot, but Doughty will most likely still be in Norris form.

Whatever happens, it's a mistake to carry on in this manner. Had they made more prudent decisions three years ago, they would be so much further ahead now than the pointless wastes of the last few wheel-spinning seasons. The results would have been the exact same as they were chasing the ghost of the Cups, except they would have better prospects, far fewer retirement contracts, a better cap picture, likely a more enthusiastic fan base, and a much, much brighter future.
    Sorry Mondo. I understand where you're coming from, but I just can't agree with it.

People expected to make the playoffs regularly just don't blow up their core by saying "We know we can make the playoffs, but we don't believe in our personnel to actually do anything once we're there"; I know that's not what you're saying, but that's the message which would be sent.

I don't believe Kempe has shown enough to be counted on as the regular second line center, especially with under-performing or inconsistent wingers.

I simply think the circumstances warrant a more prudent and methodical approach. Lombardi had the benefit of missing the playoffs for three straight seasons (plus the fans missing more hockey with the 2005 lockout) at the time he was hired to say it needs to be blown up. Blake has a core which has made the playoffs in two of the last four years and also has won two cups. You and I both know, as fans, the team needs more to actually compete for the cups, but saying the core isn't good enough to be a contender is not defensible as an executive at this time.

I don't disagree with you because I think you're wrong. I simply disagree because I don't think they have enough to justify blowing it up.

But I'm now working in tech support and I'm an annoying person who has to try all other routes before justifying taking an escalated action, no matter what my gut says. Maybe it's just part of my personality now.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3579 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shoot2scor View Post
    Don’t you think them reaching the pinnacle, let alone 2 times in 3 years contributes? Being a die hard suffering fan dreaming of them hoisting the cup for so long, and then it happens. Both times in almost magical ways, especially the 2nd time. For me it’s sobering after the fact. It’s almost as if the only thing that really matters now is the last game of the year.

I can relate to your post but in maybe a different way. The time and financial sacrifices we made up until 2014 following the team were traded for 3 kids and a busier home life. I have found more enjoyment watching the team from home. Heck, we had 3rd row season seats and the last year before giving them up only went to two games and one was the all star game. I have been to one game since, and had a blast but I don’t go out of my way now.

I still enjoy the game, am still passionate about the team but it’s as if the expectation is raised so much less takes a way a bit. Like you much of my life lived and died with the Kings. It’s just not that way anymore.

What really interests me more now is to see them on the road. Once my two young ones get a little older I look forward to road games/trips. Bucket list is to visit every barn in the NHL! Only 25 more to go!
    Let me know when you make the Chicago trip. That would be a fun time.

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    I’m just glad I don’t have to watch him dance anymore.
    Ignore the dancing, but pay attention to the opinions - he is more often than not correct in his assessments.

It's funny how many of the old posters that I remember as being fanatically obsessed with the team have been turned off by the current state of affairs to the point where they just don't care much anymore. My "Come to Jesus" moment came when I accepted a long-term gig on the East Coast in 2011 right before Sutter was hired and found it extremely difficult to follow the team the way that I used to. I was happy that they actually won the Cup, but nowhere near as excited as I thought that I would be. Since then, I haven't attended a game in person (after having season tickets for 20+ years) and find that I don't miss it at all. I am back in SoCal now, but my enthusiasm is gone. Watching the games on TV used to be crucial - now I rarely watch, and I am much happier to ignore all of the AEG / organization crap that used to push my buttons.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3262 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PSP View Post
    Ignore the dancing, but pay attention to the opinions - he is more often than not correct in his assessments.

It's funny how many of the old posters that I remember as being fanatically obsessed with the team have been turned off by the current state of affairs to the point where they just don't care much anymore. My "Come to Jesus" moment came when I accepted a long-term gig on the East Coast in 2011 right before Sutter was hired and found it extremely difficult to follow the team the way that I used to. I was happy that they actually won the Cup, but nowhere near as excited as I thought that I would be. Since then, I haven't attended a game in person (after having season tickets for 20+ years) and find that I don't miss it at all. I am back in SoCal now, but my enthusiasm is gone. Watching the games on TV used to be crucial - now I rarely watch, and I am much happier to ignore all of the AEG / organization crap that used to push my buttons.
    Wow, PSP. A blast from the past.

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1782 Post(s)

If they're not in playoff position come the Deadline, then its time to sweep out the barn, and barring them having career years, Toffoli and Pearson need to be the ones heading out first.

Likely followed closely by Muzzin, Martinez, and although I'll hate it, Jeff Carter. He's definitely not going to be the same after his leg got cut up last year.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1281 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shoot2scor View Post
    Donít you think them reaching the pinnacle, let alone 2 times in 3 years contributes? Being a die hard suffering fan dreaming of them hoisting the cup for so long, and then it happens. Both times in almost magical ways, especially the 2nd time. For me itís sobering after the fact. Itís almost as if the only thing that really matters now is the last game of the year.

I can relate to your post but in maybe a different way. The time and financial sacrifices we made up until 2014 following the team were traded for 3 kids and a busier home life. I have found more enjoyment watching the team from home. Heck, we had 3rd row season seats and the last year before giving them up only went to two games and one was the all star game. I have been to one game since, and had a blast but I donít go out of my way now.

I still enjoy the game, am still passionate about the team but itís as if the expectation is raised so much less takes a way a bit. Like you much of my life lived and died with the Kings. Itís just not that way anymore.

What really interests me more now is to see them on the road. Once my two young ones get a little older I look forward to road games/trips. Bucket list is to visit every barn in the NHL! Only 25 more to go!
    Do it! I knocked my list down to single digits last year when I saw the Caps win the Cup in Vegas. My hometown team and more than 2/3 of the way to the bucket list.

I think some of the malaise is also that the Kings are no longer Stanley Cup virgins. I remember being there in 2012 and that last 5 minutes was amazing. A loud crowd and just being stunned that my team was going to win the Cup and I'd be seeing it shortly. Now there's no pressure. If we win it again, that will be great. But if they stink, I don't really care any more because I'll always have 2012 and 2014. A bad season or bad patch is not a huge deal because I've seen them win it all... twice. The "win the last game of the NHL season" box has been checked. Likewise, if it looks like the Kings won't win the last game of the season, it is harder to get excited and that's what we have here-- making the playoffs and then losing is now a bad year rather than an above-average year like it would have been a decade+ ago.

Road trips are great. The Kings' end of March Alberta trip is one I would recommend. My son and I went 2 years ago and that week really brought us closer together. Taking a California native boy walking on a frozen lake in beautiful Banff made for a great picture too. We'll be visiting Nashville and St Louis next month. Getting back to expectations, we were at the game where the Oilers beat the Kings 2 years ago to qualify for the playoffs. That arena was insanely loud. There is no way Kings fans will be losing their minds and giving a standing ovation for qualifying to the playoffs. Maybe in 2008, but not in 2018.