Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)

Default Adam-12 Celebrates 50 Years on the Beat

Adam 12 celebrates 50 years on the beat

Fifty years ago, on September 21, 1968, Adam-12 premiered on network television during a period of tension between the public and police that was inflamed by news reel images of riots at the Chicago Democratic National Convention one month earlier.

“Adam-12 debuted in an atmosphere very much like today,” said Kent McCord, who portrayed LAPD officer Jim Reed, the rookie cop. Pete Malloy was portrayed by the late Martin Milner.

The Adam-12 episode guide reads like it is taken from today’s headlines: Two men with a camera follow Malloy and Reed from call to call and post photos in a newspaper that are taken out of context, sparking a brutality investigation against the officers. In another episode, ambushed officers return fire and kill an 18-year-old black man. Militants stand in front of news cameras and state that the man was “shot in the back” and “executed by the pigs.”

“The charm of Adam-12 was that we became a window to the public on what two cops in a black and white actually did,” McCord said.

During the first years of the show, officers told McCord and Milner that citizens had started treating them differently. People, especially kids, were no longer afraid to approach them.

“Both Marty and I were quite proud that the show had a positive influence on the profession,” McCord said.

Over the years, McCord has proposed similar series to studio executives only to be shot down. Networks wanted flawed characters, with bad cops doing bad things, and McCord refuses to cave in to the pressure.

Most current cop shows fail to portray police in the positive light that Adam-12 did.

McCord believes the entertainment industry has a responsibility in what it presents because TV shows and movies affect what the audience perceives and presumes about cops.

Milner and McCord developed a deep understanding of patrol work. Both actors championed the cause of police officers long after the show ended. McCord wore the uniform in real life as a
    Los Angeles School Police reserve officer. He retired with the rank of lieutenant.

Even though I was only 1.5 when Adam 12 premiered, I do remember watching the later seasons first run episodes on Ch 4 on Saturday nights along with my second favorite show "Emergency". I am proud to say (along with many others) that this was an influencing factor in becoming a police officer. I did not know that "rookie Officer Jim Reed" was actually LAUSD PD Reserve Lt. McCord in real life. This makes me have even more respect him than I did before.

Anyhow just thought I would throw out this tidbit of trivia for all of LGK.

Nothing more to see here, move along now...……..

We are the Samurai, the warrior elite who protect and serve. Armed and armored from head to toe, masters of our personal weapons and bound by Honor, Duty, Loyalty, and Honesty. We walk the long path into the places society would prefer forgotten, and chase those demons that most would run from screaming in fear. We are the Samurai.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2084 Post(s)

"Adam 12, see the man"

Registered Redophile
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    539 Post(s)

You have to say that was one heck of a sequel to Dragnet... I'm not sure which of the three I prefer (Adam-12/Dragnet/Emergency)... All three were top notch in every way... The three also have something else in common...the great Jack Webb...whether listed as the series creator or not...

On June 3...Dragnet will turn 70...

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    451 Post(s)

[QUOTE=SloMo26;3301265]Adam 12 celebrates 50 years on the beat
    [LEFT]

Even though I was only 1.5 when Adam 12 premiered, I do remember watching the later seasons first run episodes on Ch 4 on Saturday nights along with my second favorite show "Emergency". I am proud to say (along with many others) that this was an influencing factor in becoming a police officer. I did not know that "rookie Officer Jim Reed" was actually LAUSD PD Reserve Lt. McCord in real life. This makes me have even more respect him than I did before.

His real life badge number, 2430 is the same as his badge number from Adam-12. That's pretty cool.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED that show and Dragnet.

True Blue Fan Since '71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Loved loved loved Adam 12! I agree with the previous posters, what a great show. It was way ahead of its time and it would be so refreshing to have a similar show on today. Too bad the TV execs will only portray cops as flawed, b/c this is not reality plus it could be so powerful in today's world of cop hatred (some deservedly so, just sayin').

I can still hear the woman dispatcher's voice..."Adam 12, One Adam 12, code 3 in progress...".

Reed and Malloy forever!