Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

Default $550 SEASON-LONG CONTEST: Predict the Road Trips (Part 1 of 8)

[THIS IS IN PART A READING COMPREHENSION TEST. IF YOU CANNOT BE BOTHERED TO READ AND ABIDE BY THE FOLLOWING RULES, PLEASE DO NOT PARTICIPATE.]

Hi all. Back for another season-long contest: predict the road trips.
    One final congratulations to last season's winner, Troyvsc ($340), and runner-up, santiclaws ($67).

I'm once again awarding a first prize and a second prize.
    There's also always a Bonus Contest in conjunction with the last trip of the year, for those not still in contention.

Here's how this season's contest works:

The Kings have eight road trips of three or more games:

Road Trip #1 (4 games)
    Tue Oct 9 5pm @ WPG
    Thu Oct 11 430pm @ MTL
    Sat Oct 13 11am @ OTT
    Mon Oct 15 430pm @ TOR

Road Trip #2 (3 games)
    Fri Nov 16 530pm @ CHI
    Sat Nov 17 5pm @ NAS
    Mon Nov 19 5pm @ STL

Road Trip #3 (3 games)
    Tue Nov 27 7pm @ VAN
    Thu Nov 29 6pm @ EDM
    Fri Nov 30 6pm @ CGY

Road Trip #4 (4 games)
    Mon Dec 10 430pm @ DET
    Tue Dec 11 4pm @ BUF
    Thu Dec 13 4pm @ CBJ
    Sat Dec 15 4pm @ PIT

Road Trip #5 (3 games)
    Tue Jan 15 5pm @ MIN
    Thu Jan 17 530pm @ DAL
    Sat Jan 19 12noon @ COL

Road Trip #6 (6 games)
    Sat Feb 2 4pm @ NYI
    Mon Feb 4 4pm @ NYR
    Tue Feb 5 4pm @ NJD
    Thu Feb 7 4pm @ PHI
    Sat Feb 9 10am @ BOS
    Mon Feb 11 4pm @ WAS

Road Trip #7 (4 games)
    Thu Feb 21 5pm @ NAS
    Sat Feb 23 2pm @ FLA
    Mon Feb 25 430pm @ TBL
    Tue Feb 26 4pm @ CAR

Road Trip #8 (3 games)
    Mon Mar 25 6pm @ CGY
    Tue Mar 26 6pm @ EDM
    Thu Mar 28 7pm @ VAN

I will start a thread one week before each of these eight road trips accepting entries with predictions for the games on that trip.
    (This is the thread for the first trip.)

For each trip, predict whether the Kings will WIN or LOSE each game on the trip, as well as the exact score of the LAST game on the trip.
    For the score prediction, list the Kings' score first (e.g., "W 3-2" or "L 2-3," NOT "L 3-2"). This is no longer a request but a requirement; score predictions in the wrong format will be recorded but receive no points.
    For example, for this first road trip, a valid entry might read:

@ WPG L
    @ MTL W
    @ OTT W
    @ TOR L 2-5

UNTIL THE FIRST GAME OF EACH ROAD TRIP HAS BEGUN, PLEASE LIMIT YOUR POSTING ON THE THREAD TO ONE POST CONTAINING AN ENTRY IN THE ABOVE FORMAT, AS THIS WILL GREATLY FACILITATE RECORDKEEPING.
    PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, CONCERNS, SUGGESTIONS OR MISTAKES ON MY PART.

Scoring:
    The maximum score for the season-long contest is 110 points.
    For each correct WIN-LOSS prediction, a contestant receives 3 points (30 games x 3 points = 90 possible points).
    For each correct SCORE prediction, 1 point (8 games x 1 point = 8 possible points).
    The remaining twelve points will involve the use of tokens.

Each contestant receives twelve tokens to use at any time during the season-long contest.
    You use one or more tokens by noting on your entry(ies), beside the relevant game(s), the number of tokens you wish to apply to that game's win-loss prediction.
    For example, on the above entry, if I wished to apply two tokens to the Winnipeg game, that line would read "@ WPG L (two tokens)."
    If your win-loss prediction for a game to which you have applied token(s) is correct, you receive one bonus point for each token you applied to that game.

They are yours to bet with as you choose.
    You may use them all on one game, spread them among twelve games, or anything in between.
    You may use them all on one road trip, spread them among the eight road trips, or anything in between.
    You may use them early to build a lead, save them for later to mount a comeback, or anything in between.
    Or you may simply feel especially confident about the outcome(s) of one or more games and use them accordingly.
    (Note that if you use them on the last game of a road trip, you do not need to get the score right to win the bet, only the win-loss outcome.)
    Any tokens that remain unused after the last trip have a zero value; "use 'em or lose 'em."

If one or more contest games is/are unplayed (i.e., cancelled or postponed until after the date/time of the last game on the corresponding road trip), then all points from such game(s) will be at stake in a Bonus Game, April 2 at Arizona.
    In such case, if four or more points are at stake in the Bonus Game, then one point will be a score prediction point.
    Also in such case, any contestant who bet tokens on one or more unplayed games may bet them on a subsequent road trip or, if there is none, on the Bonus Game.
    Any makeup(s) of any unplayed game(s) will not be part of the contest.
    If the Arizona game is also unplayed (by midnight on the night of April 2), then the above rules will apply to an Alternate Bonus Game, April 5 at Anaheim.
    If the Anaheim game is also unplayed (by midnight on the night of April 5), then the maximum score for the contest will be 110 minus the number of points from the unplayed contest game(s); any contestant who lost token(s) in both an unplayed contest game and the unplayed Bonus Game(s) will have his or her score augmented by the product of (the number of such tokens) and (his or her success rate on other tokens; or, if none, the total contestant pool's success rate on tokens); and the prize winners will receive their prizes, as calculated below, multiplied by a fraction, the numerator of which is 110, and the denominator of which is 110 minus the number of points from the unplayed contest game(s).

First place will receive $5 x (his or her winning score) for a maximum grand prize of $550 [current max: $545].
    Second place will receive $1 x (his or her score) for a maximum second prize of $110 [current max: $109].
    In the event of any tie, those tied will divide the applicable prize(s) or (only if all agree) a random draw will determine a single winner.
    Regardless, all who tie with the first place score and (this season only) the second place score will qualify for the $1,000 Contest of the Decade in the 2019-2020 season.
    Those who have already qualified for the $1,000 Contest of the Decade are beedee, UnknownMan, TooCool and Troyvsc.
    This season represents the last opportunity to qualify for the Contest of the Decade, so additional qualification opportunities may arise during the season.

General rules:
    For each of the first seven road trips, all valid entries must be posted before the scheduled start time of the first game, as listed above.
    THIS SEASON, YOU MUST ENTER EVERY ROAD TRIP (8 ENTRIES) TO QUALIFY FOR A MAJOR PRIZE.
    PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT, AS I HAVE, TO CALENDAR THESE ENTRY DEADLINES:
    ROAD TRIP #1 : TUE OCT 9 5PM
    ROAD TRIP #2 : FRI NOV 16 530PM
    ROAD TRIP #3 : TUE NOV 27 7PM
    ROAD TRIP #4 : MON DEC 10 430PM
    ROAD TRIP #5 : TUE JAN 15 5PM
    ROAD TRIP #6 : SAT FEB 2 4PM
    ROAD TRIP #7 : THU FEB 21 5PM

For the eighth road trip, those in contention will have to submit their entries to me by private message one week in advance; i.e., by MON MAR 18 6PM.
    Those not in contention will submit their entries on the Bonus Contest thread by MON MAR 25 6PM.
    Please take a moment, as I have, to calendar both potential deadlines. Assume the earlier deadline will apply to you until and unless you are definitively eliminated from contention for a major prize.

Always read my first post with each trip, as special rules may apply.
    Refer back to the rules regularly as they may be updated and you are responsible for complying with them in their current form.
    Once you have submitted your entry for a trip, you may not change it without my express prior permission (which I am usually happy to grant), as such changes make recordkeeping a nightmare.
    If I have liked your entry post, that means it has been viewed, accepted and recorded, and cannot be changed without my express prior permission.
    I AM SORRY TO SAY THAT, OUT OF FAIRNESS TO ALL CONTESTANTS, I WILL BE A STICKLER THIS SEASON.
    IF YOU EDIT YOUR ENTRY WITHOUT MY EXPRESS PRIOR PERMISSION, YOUR ENTRY WILL BE RECORDED BUT RECEIVE NO POINTS, AND ANY TOKENS WAGERED IN SUCH AN ENTRY MAY BE FORFEITED.
    THERE WILL BE NO WARNINGS.

You may duplicate another contestant's entry; however, this may reduce your expected value.
    Although you must enter all 8 road trips to be eligible for a major prize, anyone may enter any trip and be eligible for any prizes specific to that trip, which may be announced ahead of time or during or even after the respective trip.

All the standard disclaimers apply.
    I reserve the right to decide any questions of rule interpretation in my sole, absolute and arbitrary discretion.
    I reserve the right to terminate the contest at any time (including after its completion) and for any reason in my sole, absolute and arbitrary discretion, and not to award any prize.
    Entering this contest does not entitle you to any legal right or expectancy, regardless of performance.
    In the event of confusion regarding an entry, I may make a good faith effort to contact the contestant for clarification; however, I reserve the right to reject any entry in whole or in part.

Good luck and GO KINGS GO!!!
    Last edited by jcwla; October 15th, 2018 at 09:40 PM.
    Don't turn around, wo-ao!
    Der Kopitar's in town, wo-ao!

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    581 Post(s)

I'm new to the contest, thanks for putting this on. Hopefully this formatting is correct, listing the Road trip above and all?
    ROAD TRIP #1
    @ WPG L
    @ MTL W
    @ OTT W
    @ TOR L 0-3

They're a finesse team.
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)

Woot!

Tue Oct 9 @ WPG Loss
    Thu Oct 11 @ MTL Win
    Sat Oct 13 @ OTT Win
    Mon Oct 15 @ TOR Loss 1-4
    Last edited by DRGinLBC; October 9th, 2018 at 11:38 AM.

Gone Fishin'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)

@ WPG WIN
    @ MTL Win
    @ OTT Win
    @ TOR LOSS 1-4

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

I love that you do this, it is a fantastic way to keep people engaged for road trips.

ROAD TRIP #1
    @ WPG L
    @ MTL W
    @ OTT W
    @ TOR W 3-2

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    375 Post(s)

Road Trip #1 (4 games)
    Tue Oct 9 5pm @ WPG L 1 TOKEN
    Thu Oct 11 430pm @ MTL W
    Sat Oct 13 11am @ OTT W
    Mon Oct 15 430pm @ TOR W 3-2
    "Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

This is awesome, thanks for putting it on!

Trip #1
    @ WPG L
    @ MTL W
    @ OTT W
    @ TOR L 2-4 (1 token)

Livin' in God's Country
    Images
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

Road Trip 1
    @ WPG L
    @ MTL W
    @ OTT W
    @ TOR L 1-4

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Thanks for doing this. My first time entry and I wish it (and all) best of luck!

@ WPG L
    @ MTL W
    @ OTT W 1 token
    @ TOR W 3-1

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

@ wpg l
    @ mtl w
    @ ott w
    @ tor l 1-3
    Last edited by pray4mojo; October 3rd, 2018 at 09:25 AM.