Bell Centre | Montreal, QC

Canadiens Home Opener

Last Season’s Meetings:

10/26/17 — Kings 4, Canadiens 0
    10/18/17 — Canadiens 1, Kings 5

GAME TIME **4:30PM**

TV:**Fox Sports West - Pregame at 4:00**

Radio: LA Kings iHeartRadio app

Please remember, DO NOT post links to Live Game Streams in the GDT or anywhere else on LGK

Stevens, Kopitar, Kovalchuk & Pearson 10/9 Postgame Quotes

Read more quotes and articles at Jon Rosen's Blog here

John Stevens, on what Winnipeg did well and what presented challenges to Los Angeles:

Well, it’s a good hockey team. I think the thing you really make your team aware of is that this is a team that’s really good at home. They have a tendency a lot like Vegas where they really storm you early, and you’ve got to be ready for that. I thought we got off to a good start, but probably by the middle of the first and then all of the second, we totally played on our heels.
    Stevens, on Jack Campbell facing a heavy volume of shots:

Jack’s been terrific. He gives you a chance to win. He did the same thing last year when we came in here. He comes in tough spots and the team doesn’t play well in front of you, but he still gave you a chance to get a point at the end of the day, so it was terrific. But you can’t play the game on your heels. You just sit back and let a team come at you, they’re going to make you play in your end a lot. I thought in the third period we started to play on our toes a little more. We were able to generate a little more of an attack, but prior to that, we totally played the game on our heels – backing up, retreating instead of getting after it.
    Stevens, on Ilya Kovalchuk scoring his first goal with the club:

Yeah, going hard to the net, driving into the backside. He made a good play going to the net. You’re going to score goals, you’ve got to go to the net. Whether you’re Kovalchuk or anybody else, Kopi scored a goal similar to that earlier. It’s an area we’ve got to get to a lot more.
    Stevens, on whether the team took any step forward in puck management or other aspects:

Did you see a step forward today? I didn’t. I thought we played the game on our heels. You can’t manage the puck if you’re on your heels. Take the puck and make a play and move your feet going forward and playing on your toes is something that we’ve got to do a whole lot better.

Anze Kopitar, on what Los Angeles needs to clean up, and what they did well in the loss:

Well, to be quite honest, I think we took a step back tonight from what we were trying to do and what we’re all about really. I think the first two periods were really disappointing in regard to pretty much everything that was going on on the ice except for the one goal that we scored. But in saying that, we were down one goal going into the third, so Soupy played fantastic. Played out of his mind and we obviously didn’t give him enough support. I think in the third we can all agree that was our best period, but still far from what we need to do to make us successful against contenders really and the top part of the league or anybody for that matter because if we play like that we’re going to lose more often than not. Then again, there’s a new game in two days so I’m sure we’re going to address what was going on tonight but at the same time try to kind of forget about it and get ready for a new one.
    Kopitar, on new looks and different personnel on the power play:

Listen, we’re three games in, so there’s definitely no need for panic for that matter, but we know that especially in a game like this when you get a power play late or in the third period, you’ve got to cash in to maybe at least squeeze a point or something like that. So, we’ll work on it and address what we need to do and get it going in the right direction.

Ilya Kovalchuk, on getting chances on the power play in the third period:

The one before that had a great chance there. Two, actually. First he made the save, second crossbar. We’ve got to play the way we played in the third period for sixty minutes. And our power play–as soon as we click on the power play we’ll be a much better team for sure.
    Kovalchuk, on scoring his first goal since being back in the NHL:
    I prefer to win than score goals. It wasn’t enough, so we’ll be better next game.
    Kovalchuk, on if he feels like he’s settling in a little more every game:
    Yeah, I feel pretty good from the first game. My legs, you know, decisions will be there – it takes a little time. But, like I said, the power play creates a lot of momentum for all teams, and the way we played, we didn’t do that, so we’ve got to be much better.

Tanner Pearson, on what can be improved to bring the shots-against average down:
    You look at last year, I forget what our average was a game, but it was definitely lower than what we’ve been having so far. When you’re outshot 30-9 after two periods, it’s not a good recipe for success, but Soup did a heck of a job back there and he definitely gave us a chance and just weren’t able to get that other one. We’ve got to get back to our type of hockey and be good defensively and when we’re good defensively we move pucks north quickly and it definitely helps us out and limits their chances, for sure.
    Pearson, on whether the team entered the game viewing it as a “measuring stick”:

I think every game is, kind of. Right now, you want to rack together points, especially on the road trip. If you start off with a win, it’s definitely momentum and we weren’t able to do that tonight, but we need to start racking some points together.

Subject To Change

Per Rosen:
    #LAKings showing

Iafallo-Kopitar-Kovalchuk
    Pearson-Kempe-Toffoli
    JAD-Amadio-Carter
    Clifford-Thompson-Lewis

Forbort-Doughty
    Muzzin-Martinez
    Phaneuf-LaDue
    Campbell

FORWARDS

GOALIES

36 JACK CAMPBELL
    31 PETER BUDAJ

Kings Injuries:

Jonathan Quick (IR)
    Jonny Brodzinski (IR)
    Dusin Brown (LTIR)
    Gabe Vilardi

Canadiens Probable Lineup
    (courtesy of www2.dailyfaceoff.com)

FORWARDS

GOALIE COMPARISONS

PLAYER STATS

PACIFIC DIVISION STANDINGS

Today's Poll Question:

Tonight will be Alec Martinez’s 500th NHL game. How many points will be scored by ALL Kings Defensemen in tonight’s game?

Take your best guess in your post below.

The only prize is the glory of seeing your name in the next GDT if you get it right.

Previous Poll Winners:

Well, LeftyKing stays on top as King Of The Mountain with 3 points. I’ll do totals starting in a few more games. Congratulations to the following posters who correctly guessed only 1 PPG (of course, NOT by the Kings) would be scored in the previous game:

Troyvsc, VegasHockey, LAKingSteve, srm1105, MOOG, rozzy, empire, PuckMaster, CIrvine, xLAxKingsx, notbob, LeftyKing, Rusty, waynet, JETS GARAGE, jammer06, Liz4LA, Sevenhole, hokiecat

Bet your karma in geogirl’s KARMA BETTING THREAD HERE

Click Here to Join the LGK NHL Hat Trick Challenge League pw: Kongs

Any suggestions, pics, poll questions, etc. - email me at lgknyssa42@gmail.com

Photos courtesy of Getty Images, and NHL.com.
    Last edited by Nyssa42; October 11th, 2018 at 11:37 AM.

Halloween Dolphin!
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)

Gosh! This game is even earlier than the last one. Can they just play it at night when most of us are sleeping and save us the heartache.

CalgaryKing
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1090 Post(s)

No excuse losing against that Habs lineup. They may be fast, but what else?

Guessing 8 in the poll! Go big or go home. LOL

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    537 Post(s)

Thanks for the GDT Nyssa.my guess is 7 points

Now on the 1st tee...
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    481 Post(s)

Thanks to Nyssa and the Number Crunchers!

I'll go with 2 pts from the blueline tonight; expecting another low-scoring game from the boys...

GKG

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    468 Post(s)

Flip Amadio with Lewis and we'll be in business.

I'll go with 3 points for the D.

the skating dead
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

let's go with 5!!
    GO KINGS GO!!!!!!

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3398 Post(s)

Thanks Nyssa!

I'll go with 4 points

Go kings! Not only is Montreal a team they should beat, it's freaking Montreal, screw those guys

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2134 Post(s)

One point