All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    443 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    I think Blake and the rest of the staff know better than to trade picks to prop up this mess. They didn't go down that road last spring and last year's team had a much better start than this year's.

I do think "too good" is somewhat accurate in the sense that the bad teams 10 years ago never had guys of the caliber of Doughty and Kopitar.
    This isn't basketball. Two or three great players does not make you a good team.

Remember Me?
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    738 Post(s)

Small, Fast and great skill.... Not Kings material

Remember Me?
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    738 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingrussell View Post
    This isn't basketball. Two or three great players does not make you a good team.
    Not having them does make you a bad team.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzerson View Post
    Not having them does make you a bad team.
    How are the Oilers doing with all of those #1 overall picks including Crosby Jr.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4766 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingrussell View Post
    A contender, absolutely not. But having a top center, a top defenseman and top goalie will most likely prevent you from being a lottery team. And that's the problem, they aren't bad enough to get better naturally through the draft.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4766 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bojanglz View Post
    How are the Oilers doing with all of those #1 overall picks including Crosby Jr.
    Draft picks alone don't guarantee anything, but you must have them in order to find out how well your developmental team performs.

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    969 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anjae11eden View Post
    Not sure I agree with the "too good" part, but I fear you are right about the organization not letting it happen. They'll likely trade young assets and picks for another player all while preaching the "window is still open" nonsense.
    On paper they're too good, on ice they are a hot mess...even in one of the only 2 games they've won so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    I think Blake and the rest of the staff know better than to trade picks to prop up this mess. They didn't go down that road last spring and last year's team had a much better start than this year's.

I do think "too good" is somewhat accurate in the sense that the bad teams 10 years ago never had guys of the caliber of Doughty and Kopitar.
    The team is in a trough right now. Yes, practically nothing has been working for the last several games. But this team is also capable of reeling off a few wins in a row.

A settled Quick and one or two guys getting into a rhythm is enough to handle some of the lower teams in the league. And the division seems to be pretty bottom heavy, so I doubt they'll drop too far out of the picture, at least for a while.

And as long as they're in the mix for a playoff spot, in the year plus that the management team has been in place, they' don't seem eager to rock the boat too much. They'll let it ride.

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

Remember Me?
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    738 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bojanglz View Post
    My point is that great teams have a few superstars. That is not to assume that superstars make great teams. It is still about the team but name one team that has won the cup that didn't have superstars? Yes there are many teams with superstars that suck.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    704 Post(s)

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1114 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anjae11eden View Post
    You would be wrong. They had a trade in place this summer trading JAD and picks (I believe 1 or more 2nd rounders) for Max Pac. They either don't have a grasp of where this team is at, or they do, and they're BSing the fans about it to sell hope and tickets.
    Did they make the trade or did they keep the picks?

I'd argue that the data shows that I am correct.