Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4764 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    I respect everything Brownie has done for the team and the community. And I most certainly agree he was a better captain than Kopitar has been so far.

However, a player with "balls" doesn't earn a league-wide reputation as a diver, nor does he deliver borderline (or outright) cheap shots on opposing players and then hide whenever challenged to drop the gloves.

Regardless of the team's success during his captaincy, Dustin does have a long history of ducking the consequences of his actions on the ice. To his credit, he has managed to elevate his game and transcend that negative reputation during the last 2 seasons -- and he has become a better player.
    All you ever need to know about Brown was summed up perfectly when he let a rookie get intentionally elbowed in the face by Malkin with two seconds left in a blowout loss. Brown looked at the referee and raised his hands up instead of going right after Malkin who was 15 feet away.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    All you ever need to know about Brown was summed up perfectly when he let a rookie get intentionally elbowed in the face by Malkin with two seconds left in a blowout loss. Brown looked at the referee and raised his hands up instead of going right after Malkin who was 15 feet away.
    That cheap shot still sticks in my craw, and still colors my opinion of Malkin.

Schadenfreude
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    232 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by K-Man #32 View Post
    My point is this, we won 2 cups with him being our leader. He is a better leader than Kopi. He has the balls to lead us out of this funk .
    Brown was the player wearing the "C" for those Stanley Cup victories, but I think you're ignoring the fact that the quality of the supporting cast in that locker room was much higher than now.

Willie Mitchell - Captain for Minnesota Wild and Florida Panthers
    Mike Richards - Captain for Philadelphia Flyers
    Justin Williams - Captain for Carolina Hurricanes

And that's not counting the Alternate Captains for multiple teams like Matt Greene, Rob Scuderi, Jarett Stoll, and Robyn Regehr.

The number of players that served in the leadership capacity of multiple clubs just aren't there now to make sure everyone is pulling the ship in the same direction and that there's an environment of professional accountability being maintained in the room.

I mean, if you have people that are familiar with how important it is to repeat a message from the Captain on down to the last player then you know the former Captains and Alternate Captain on those Stanley Cup winning 2012 and 2014 teams are going to help with that. You'd have at least half the team all repeating and reinforcing the fundamentals of winning hockey because that's what they had to do as team leaders on other teams. That then makes it hard to get complacent when you know someone is always going to be there to kick your butt to get you back in line with everyone else.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4764 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Brown was the player wearing the "C" for those Stanley Cup victories, but I think you're ignoring the fact that the quality of the supporting cast in that locker room was much higher than now.

Willie Mitchell - Captain for Minnesota Wild and Florida Panthers
    Mike Richards - Captain for Philadelphia Flyers
    Justin Williams - Captain for Carolina Hurricanes

And that's not counting the Alternate Captains for multiple teams like Matt Greene, Rob Scuderi, Jarett Stoll, and Robyn Regehr.

The number of players that served in the leadership capacity of multiple clubs just aren't there now to make sure everyone is pulling the ship in the same direction and that there's an environment of professional accountability being maintained in the room.

I mean, if you have people that are familiar with how important it is to repeat a message from the Captain on down to the last player then you know the former Captains and Alternate Captain on those Stanley Cup winning 2012 and 2014 teams are going to help with that. You'd have at least half the team all repeating and reinforcing the fundamentals of winning hockey because that's what they had to do as team leaders on other teams. That then makes it hard to get complacent when you know someone is always going to be there to kick your butt to get you back in line with everyone else.
    Absolutely. And it's important to note that Lombardi identified that quality as one lacking among the core, which very much included Brown.

The trade that brought in Stoll and Greene for Visnonsky was the first shot across the bow. Charachter, grit and accountability were in short supply and must be added to a group missing it.

The hope was that the core would learn from having those training wheels, but I have always believed that character is a trait you are either born with or learn at an early age, and it isn't absorbed by osmosis. That has always colored my opinion of Kopitar, and why I have always had less faith in him than most.

Brown and Kopitar have come full circle now that Stoll, Greene, Williams, Richards, Mitchell and Sutter have left. Maybe the whole story hasn't been told yet, but I feel comfortable enough to judge them. They may play well enough to win games, but they aren't the right kinds of men to win series without a lot of help to do most if not all of the heavy lifting.

My goal is to stop yours
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    I'll never forget that, and yeah, Brownie should have jumped on EM's back and started pummeling him, no questions asked, but fighting has NEVER been in his character.

You choose to place that as the barometer? Seriously? How about when Hanzel boards Brown in game 1 of the WCFs, and Brown lays there, and then gets up on his own and skates to the bench. That board would have seen 90% of the NHL leaving with help or on a stretcher, but not Brown. Smith basically took Brownie's knee out en route to being eliminated. Yet, Brown barely missed a shift? Hell, he was given an embellishment penalty, so he sat for two and came out like it never happened! I'll also focus on the laying out of the other teams captain in round 1 to start the ball rolling. <-- And all that's all you need to know about Brown, his character and toughness.

A good captain strikes when it benefits the team overall in my mind. Ivanans should have jumped the bench, then jumed Malkin in that instance, because anyone on the Kings knew then as they know now, Brownie doesn't srcap unless forced to, and the game was over, it didn't matter, and they'd see Malkin again.

Schadenfreude
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    232 Post(s)

Fighting in hockey doesn't necessarily need to end with a clear cut victory in the end. You don't even have to be a natural fighter because sometimes it's more about the intent, the message, and the feelings driving the action that has way more value at the end of the day than whether you kicked butt or got your butt kicked.

You could be the smallest finesse player and the only thing you did in the "fight" is to latch onto to a player aggressively and hold on for dear life. However, it's the fact that you stood up for a fellow teammate that is going to resonate with the other guys you are playing with. It sends the message that you have their back and support them.

That kind of stuff is necessary to building a team chemistry, identity, and identifiable culture in a hockey club.