Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    814 Post(s)

Default 2019 Entry Level Draft Thread

The u-18s started today, with a lot of players likely to be drafted participating.

Here's a good preview.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/international-tournaments/preview-2019-iihf-u18-world-championship/

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tran View Post
    If we got Cozens, Turcotte, Podkolzin or Byram I'd be happy. I have no preference.
    Turcotte for me. I think he has Patrice Bergeron (with more speed) written all over him.....you can win a lot of games with a guy like that on your team.

Hockey Purist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    510 Post(s)

That Draft Lottery was the most detrimental part of the season. Hughes, or Kaako, would've helped the team right now. While we still will surely get our best prospect with the #5 pick, that is a major letdown make no mistake about it.

Assuming Hughes, Kaako, and Podzolkin are all off the board, the 3 guys I really like with that #5 pick (that I feel I've watched enough of):

Bowen Byram:
    This guy has the skills to be a real difference making defenseman. Put up 26 goals and 71 points in the WHL this year. Like him just slightly better than the forwards, but being Dmen of this calibre are harder to come by this is the pick to make. If he can continue to put on some muscle, and develop defensively, I can see him being similar to Roman Josi both in style and impact.

Kirby Dach:
    I've liked this guy all season. A big power forward with excellent playmaking ability. The kind of Center that makes his wingers better. One Scout said "he makes plays out of nothing" which to me is an absolutely golden characteristic. I'm a little biased toward big playmaking centers. I feel like guys who can play a puck possession game, but also make something happen are gifts to an NHL offensive system. I also have Dach this high because his Hockey IQ and vision. You don't want to have to wait, or hope for those things to develop in a top prospect, and Dach already eliminates that worry.

Cole Caufield:
    Yes, I have Caufield this high. He is this draft's Debrincat. It will be hilarious to watch teams pass up a future 40 goal scorer because of his lack of size and physicality. Caufield is an absolute scoring machine. He set a NTDP Goal scoring record with 61, and he is absolutely torching the U18 tourney right now with 7 goals in 2 games. I don't care about his size. My concern with him is how much are his numbers due to playing with Jack Hughes? He hasn't had a significant amount of time away from Hughes to put to bed that concern.

Would you Believe...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    206 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torfalcon View Post
    Turcotte for me. I think he has Patrice Bergeron (with more speed) written all over him.....you can win a lot of games with a guy like that on your team.
    I agree. After watching all the prospects' videos, Turcotte is my favorite. He has some nice handles, works hard down low, has good vision, and plays good defense.

I'm also hoping Toronto gets eliminated in the first round and Caufield or Suzuki slips down to the Kings for their second first round pick.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    814 Post(s)

2 games have been played for the U18 (Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland, and Latvia have each played just one). USA has been trouncing the opponents. Here's the update on some of them:

As the Kings won't get Jack Hughes, I won't get into his performance. Kaapo Kakko isn't participating; he's focusing on the World Championships. Kirby Dach isn't participating due to injury. Bowen Byram is not participating since his team is still in the WHL playoffs (actually playing against Jaret Anderson-Dolan and the Spokane Chiefs tonight!)

USA
    Cole Caufield: 7 G, 2 A, 9 Pts. What's amazing is Alexander Ovechkin has the record for the number of goals in the U-18 tournament with 14 goals in 8 games. Caufield already has 7 in 2.
    Matthew Boldy: 1 G, 6 A, 7 Pts
    Alex Turcotte: 2 G, 4 A, 6 Pts

Canada
    Peyton Krebs: 2 G, 2 A, 4 Pts. He's also captain of Canada's U-18 team
    Dylan Cozens: 1 G, 0 A, 1 Pt

Russia
    Vasili Podkolzin: 0 G, 0 A, 0 Pts (Russia's only played one game so far)

Along with Dach and Byram, the above players are all very good candidates for the Kings to grab.

Of course, all have their warts, but all are solid picks in the top 10. Apparently John Hoven said he wouldn't be surprised if the Kings move down to get more assets, but Blake also sounded like they won't be moving down with the pick. Caufield and Boldy are moving up in my list, but I think I still really like Turcotte with his size, compete level, and two way play. Boldy's also moving up though; he reminded me a lot of a younger Mike Richards.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Vivid View Post
    That Draft Lottery was the most detrimental part of the season.

The Draft Lottery is a detriment and should be traded.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post
    That's an important truth you stated there. It would be an indeterminate amount of time, not simply an automatic 2 years for the contract he currently has. The fact that he perceives North America as a place he really doesn't care to be is enough for me to believe that it could easily drag into 5 or 6 years, or potentially never happen at all. I think this could be a large mistake for the Kings at #5.
    Great point.

Also, we must never forget that Podkolzin's team (SKA St Petersburg) is
    owned by the huge Russian
    gas conglomerate Gazprom, and the CEO in charge of the team is
    a young, aggressive type, at least as I read him.

If he and Gazprom wanted to get into a bidding war with us over Pods
    to keep him in Russia a few more years,
    they'd have A LOT of resource$ to do it with.

Oy.

I'm getting cold feet about Podkolzin.
    Last edited by triplcrown; April 19th, 2019 at 08:55 PM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    787 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
    Great point.

Also, we must never forget that Podkolzin's team (SKA St Petersburg) is
    owned by the huge Russian
    gas conglomerate Gazprom, and the CEO in charge of the team is
    a young, aggressive type, at least as I read him.

If he and Gazprom wanted to get into a bidding war with us over Pods
    to keep him in Russia a few more years,
    they have A LOT of resource$ to do it with.

Oy.

I'm getting cold feet about Podkolzin.
    No thanks on another Russian.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    814 Post(s)

Updating the stats since Russia has now played 2 games. Podkolzin hasn't scored a point in two games and I didn't get to watch any of it, but I heard good things. Russia is actually led in scoring by a forward named Ilya Nikolayev. I might try to watch some video on him.

USA
    Cole Caufield: 7 G, 2 A, 9 Pts. What's amazing is Alexander Ovechkin has the record for the number of goals in the U-18 tournament with 14 goals in 8 games. Caufield already has 7 in 2.
    Matthew Boldy: 1 G, 6 A, 7 Pts
    Alex Turcotte: 2 G, 4 A, 6 Pts

Canada
    Peyton Krebs: 2 G, 2 A, 4 Pts. He's also captain of Canada's U-18 team
    Dylan Cozens: 1 G, 0 A, 1 Pt

Russia
    Vasili Podkolzin: 0 G, 0 A, 0 Pts

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    814 Post(s)

An article summarizing the U-18 so far: https://dobberprospects.com/prospect...worlds-apr-20/