Height: 5'11
    Weight: 194 lbs
    Shoots: Left

Metrics from Prospect-Stats: http://prospect-stats.com/player/27180

Other Kings drafted out of the USNTDP:
    Hudson Fasching (2013)
    Derek Forbort (2010)

Articles:
    To the surprise of absolutely nobody who knows him, hockey was the first sport that Alex Turcotte ever wanted to play.

“I started playing when I was three years old,” Turcotte said. “My dad [Alfie Turcotte] got me into it; he was around hockey his whole life too. I liked the fresh air and skating around the ice.”

Alfie Turcotte played pro hockey for the Montreal Canadiens, but he wasn’t the only one in the family with an extensive hockey background. Alex’s grandfather Real played hockey at Michigan State University and is a famed hockey instructor. Plus, Alex’s uncle Jeff Turcotte played for the Toronto Marlboros of the Ontario Hockey League.
    https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/news_article/show/863538

Turcotte possesses superior vision and passing ability, and it’s clear from his first shift that he understands the game’s intricacies and nuances that require a center to develop chemistry with his linemates. He plays smart hockey with his head on a swivel and attacks with decisiveness, maintaining situational awareness no matter how fast he’s motoring up ice. Turcotte is one of the few draft-eligible forwards who can time his passes with precision while moving as fast as he can. Although he seems to like to defer to the pass, Turcotte owns a hard, accurate wrist shot with a quick release, and he’s proven to snap off high-velocity shots within tight windows.
    https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2019...alex-turcotte/

Watching him play: I don't feel like I can provide a whole lot of insight here, simply because he never really stood out in any particular facet. That's not necessarily a knock on him, mind you. He's just very methodical and while he generated a few chances, he didn't really demonstrate a huge skillset which separates him from other players. There are some similarities to Kopitar, where he's a coach's son who doesn't take high risk plays.

Overall: He already has a good size for a power forward (5'11, 194 lbs), even though he doesn't have the height. He has good bloodlines of hockey players. He's also committed to a good hockey program of the University of Wisconsin. His CHL rights are also owned by the Saginaw Spirit, which is a middling team in the OHL. He is one of those players where he wouldn't make an immediate impact but had a lot of options where he could be a middle-six player in the NHL.

As this isn't a high-end player, it's very likely if the Kings are a black hole team (outside of the lottery), he would probably be a target in the middle of the first round.

Video

Hyperbolic V.I.P.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)

Watching that USA U18 game vs Minn, I was more impressed with Cole Caufield’s play than Hughes play.
    Last edited by Dr. No; November 8th, 2018 at 04:55 AM.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)

Arthur Kaliyev
    Team: Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)
    DOB: 6/26/2001
    Position: LW/RW
    Height: 6'2
    Weight: 190 lbs

Metrics from Prospect-Stats: http://prospect-stats.com/player/27384

Other Kings drafted by the Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL):
    None (though Matt Luff played for Hamilton and signed as a free agent 9/26/16)

Articles:
    “This kid, he’s a player and he’s a winner too,” said Bulldogs head coach John Gruden, who had the opportunity to see Kaliyev playing a year-up alongside his son Jonathan with the Little Caesars program back in 2014. “A lot of the high-end kids at his age are one-trick ponies but he’s actually done an admirable job as a 16-year-old on both sides of the puck.

“I’ve played with guys of other nationalities that could speak unbelievable English,” added Gruden, a former 10-year pro, “but when you asked them to backcheck or do something they’d pretend like they don’t know English. That isn’t Arthur, he understands everything and, even though he comes across as shy at first, he does come out of his shell and the guys really like having him around.”
    http://ontariohockeyleague.com/artic...g-for-bulldogs

It was a quintessential Arthur Kaliyev moment.

About a week ago, the Hamilton Bulldogs were on the power play with a bit more than a minute to go in the middle frame of their game against the Peterborough Petes when Brandon Saigeon fired a no-look pass from the blue line to the centre of the faceoff circle to the left of goalie Hunter Jones.

Kaliyev was waiting for it, stick cocked.

His one-timer found the mesh inside the top of the net before Jones had a chance to react. He didn't see the shot. In fact, it's even hard to discern on a slow motion replay.

That's the part that's classically Kaliyev. In the time it takes the opposition to recognize what he's up to, the damage has usually been done.
    https://www.thespec.com/sports-story...y-an-a-lister/

Watching him play: One of his early shifts in the game, he's in on the forecheck. He recovers the puck from a player behind the opposition's net, sneaks up to the goal line, and wrists the puck off the goalie and into the net. He's not explosive, but at the same time he is all over the ice and impactful. He sneaks up on the opposition, and he makes subtle moves when he reroutes the puck under pressure. He loves to have the puck. What I like most about him is he ALWAYS looks ready. There are many times watching these games the prospects will have their sticks up and don't make themselves an option as they skate around. With Kaliyev, he always has his stick down even in transition. He gives his teammates someone to pass to.

As with most young players, he needs to be better on the defensive end.

Overall: He's one of those players who gets mixed rankings, but for the most part he's on the upswing. He's a left handed right winger, and he loves to shoot. In that way he's similar to Kucherov (not comparing upside, but in terms of his role in the offensive zone). Even though his family is Russian, he was born in the United States and has dual citizenship. So, while the Kings have not had much luck with drafting Russians, this is one of those highly skilled players who is already committed to playing in North America (and opted to represent USA in the Hlinka Gretzky Memorial Cup).

Someone who loves him enough may take him in the top five, but he could also fall out of the top ten. If the Kings want an up-tempo offensive player with good size, this would be a great pick.

Video:

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)

Don't look now, but Jack Hughes had 6 points against Switzerland today. He has 15 points in his last 3 games, bringing him up to 35 points in 17 games.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)

Vasili Podkolzin
    Team: SKA St Petersburg (Russia)
    DOB: 6/24/2001
    Position: RW
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 190 lbs

Metrics from Prospect-Stats: None

Other Kings drafted from St. Petersburg:
    Alexander Dergachev

Articles:
    “He’s everywhere. He drives the play, you can’t take it off him And, yeah, he has the mentality to take on people,” said Button, who saw him score two fantastic goals against Sweden and USA where he went end-to-end, splitting the defence, once scoring from his knees, the other flying through the air.

“You see complete centres. He’s a complete winger.”
    https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hocke...ka-gretzky-cup

A rugged three-zone winger with an incredible compete level that compliments his superior puck skills, Podkolzin has been a top-six fixture for Team Russia at several high-profile international events. This is his first year playing in the MHL — Russia’s premier junior circuit — and he is an early-season favorite to be named one of the league’s top rookies. Podkolzin checks all the intangible blocks, as he can be counted on to address a variety of his coach’s concerns. What separates him from all the other “toolsy” forwards is that he can either create or finish plays while traveling at maximum speed, and his strong balance and stickhandling seems to convince defenders to back off more than they should. Podkolzin is effective both in open ice and during trench warfare, and he’s capable of completing on-the-tape passes that lead directly to quality chances near the net.
    https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2019...ili-podkolzin/

Watching him play: He plays a lot like how I always wanted Dustin Brown to play: strong north-south game with a willingness to drive to the net. He doesn't hit with reckless abandon like Brown use to, but he has a lot of strength and drive with the puck. What I like most is not just that he has an east/west game, but he doesn't overuse it. He seemingly has one intention every time he's on the ice: bring the puck closer to the opposition's net.

Overall: I remember when I saw him play for Russia at the Ivan Hlinka this year, he was beasting Team USA. I thought at that time, "wow, gets a hat trick in a key game. What a clutch player in a high stakes game". At that time, HF started talking about him more. He's had growing hype and appreciation, suggesting a rise in his stock and a contender for a top 5 pick. At this point, I'd say him being top 10 is a guarantee, barring an injury or a statement of never wanting to play in the NHL.

His rights are owned by Medicine Hat, which is the WHL team that Willie Desjardins used to coach. He may have some connections there and they may have a read on this kid. Of course, given the Kings' history with players committed to Russia, I also understand being gun shy about drafting him.

Video:
    [/QUOTE]