Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post

He's worth it and is the real deal. Would love to see the Kings get Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk13 View Post

Any chance they wanted that first to package both to get the #1 if we don't win the lottery? Lose for Hughes!
    Slacko for Kakko

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    820 Post(s)

Nick Robertson
    Team: Peterborough Petes (OHL)
    DOB: 9/11/2001
    Position: Center/Left Wing
    Height: 5'9
    Weight: 168 lbs
    Shoots: Left

Metrics from Prospect-Stats: http://prospect-stats.com/player/27868

Other Kings drafted from the Peterborough Petes (OHL):
    Scott Barney (1997)
    Matt Johnson (1994)
    Ross Wilson (1987)
    Bruce Shoebottom (1983)

Articles:
    Being a smaller player at 5-foot-8, what things do you have to do to have success against bigger opponents?

“I just use my quickness and my hockey IQ as an advantage. The bigger guys have the reach and size, but for me to get away from them I just have to use my quickness and smarts to get out of situations.”
    http://ontariohockeyleague.com/artic...nick-robertson

This article isn't necessarily about Nick Robertson; the article actually features his older brother, Jason Robertson. However, it alludes to the Kings games they would watch as kids because their family were season ticket holders.
    CHICAGO – Jason Robertson’s thoughts went to the family RV when the Dallas Stars called his name and made him the 39th overall pick in the 2017 National Hockey League Draft on Saturday.

Robertson was a California kid – he and his brothers began seriously playing the game because his father and grandfather were Los Angeles Kings season ticket holders.
    https://colorofhockey.com/2017/06/24...-in-nhl-draft/

Watching him play: He plays quick, but he's not necessarily a fast player, which is concerning when you consider his size. What he does have is a set of offensive tools which make him very dangerous. He has a quick release and he distributes the puck very well. The game featured below is one where he gets a goal and two assists; the goal is the OT game winner. While neither of the passes were "jaw dropping", they were both very feasible NHL situations in which he threaded a great pass to the linemate who was able to finish. As is the case for most young players, commitment to the defensive side of the game and physical ability need to improve.

Overall: He really started gathering more attention during the Top Prospects game last week, when he had 3 assists on a line with Peyton Krebs and Arthur Kaliyev. As the Kings aren't so focused on size anymore, they may not be detracted by Robertson's smaller stature, and would definitely benefit from his skill. Knowing Nick Robertson grew up in Southern California and grew up watching the Kings, that tie to the organization may increase his appeal.

If the Kings want him, they better grab him by the early second round, because I don't see him lasting beyond that (if he even lasts that long).

Video:
    Placeholder
    Last edited by King'sPawn; April 3rd, 2019 at 04:28 PM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    380 Post(s)

Are there any true snipers in the late first round? Kings need true goal scorers who have scored at every level they have played. Hopefully develop them into a better version of Tyler Toffoli .

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    820 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gokor84 View Post
    Are there any true snipers in the late first round? Kings need true goal scorers who have scored at every level they have played. Hopefully develop them into a better version of Tyler Toffoli .
    Brett Leason is in a similar path to Tanner Pearson, where he's a D+2 eligible to be drafted this year, and is expected to be drafted at the end of the first. He has 31 goals in 42 games.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    820 Post(s)

Philip Tomasino
    Team: Niagara IceDogs (OHL)
    DOB: 7/28/2001
    Position: Right Wing
    Height: 6'0
    Weight: 181 lbs
    Shoots: Right

Metrics from Prospect-Stats: http://prospect-stats.com/player/27387

Other Kings drafted from the Niagara IceDogs (OHL):
    Akil Thomas (2018)

Articles:
    What part of your game did you develop the most during your first year and what do you hope to improve this season?

“The part I developed the most throughout my first year was kind of my overall skill level. Playing with some pretty good guys on our team definitely gave me some advice and helped me improve my overall skills last year. I hope to improve on becoming a more complete player this year. We’re going to have a pretty good team so hopefully I can improve on that and help our team win.”
    http://ontariohockeyleague.com/artic...hilip-tomasino

Among draft eligible players, Tomasino’ s work ethic doesn’t play second fiddle to anyone. He has a relentless work ethic that rubs off on his teammates and he attempts to make something happen every time he hits the ice. To be able to do that, you have to have a certain amount of confidence from your coaches and the belief that you can make a difference. And Tomasino has both.
    https://ohlwriters.me/2019/01/24/phi...layer-profile/

Watching him play: He's a fun player to watch as he puts in 100% all the time. In the game, he had a goal and an assist, both of which were made while driving to the net. While he has good offensive tools, I think he telegraphs his shot a bit and takes too long to get the shot off. He does a good job with his short passes, but he's not very adept at longer stretch passes. Not that it's bad, but it's a limitation. If anything, he will be an energy player and forechecker as he goes up in the rankings. He didn't play in the PK at all during the game I watched, and he didn't have the urgency to get back defensively on the powerplay to prevent a shorthanded goal.

Overall: The OHL is usually among the more popular leagues to draft from, although there's not a lot of top end talent this year. Still, Tomasino's stock is rising, while putting up good numbers in a stacked Niagara team (and is a line mate of fellow Kings prospect Akil Thomas). Like a lot of the players featured recently, he's expected to be drafted in the late first or early second. If the Kings draft him, they undoubtedly have good feedback and scouting on him. I just have a feeling there will be higher upside players available.

Video:
    Placeholder

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    820 Post(s)

Matthew Robertson
    Team: Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
    DOB: 3/9/2001
    Position: Defense
    Height: 6'4
    Weight: 201 lbs
    Shoots: Left

Metrics from Prospect-Stats: http://prospect-stats.com/player/26835

Other Kings drafted by the Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL):
    None (though the WCHL Edmonton Oil Kings had a couple Kings picks)

Articles:
    Heading into the Christmas break, the Oil Kings are tied for first place in the Central Division and Robertson is playing his best hockey of the season.

“I’ve liked his progression, he’s an elite player and he’s definitely one of those guys that can skate and move the puck,” said Oil Kings head coach Brad Lauer. “He has good size for a defenceman. He’s played a lot of hockey at the start and then he got hurt where he got a little break away from the game, which I think was the best thing for him and I think he’s played well since then.”
    https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hocke...ritical-season

“The legacy that was left behind when they won the Memorial Cup; it’s something that we want to achieve again,” noted Robertson.

With Tyler having moved on to play hockey at the post-secondary level and Reinhart playing professionally, Matthew has been the next in line from the household to suit up for his hometown Oil Kings. He’s also drawing significant interest from National Hockey League scouts ahead of the 2019 NHL Draft.

The similarities between Reinhart and Robertson grow with each passing day. Both made top 10 selections at the WHL Bantam Draft by the Oil Kings and they each forged their own path to the Oil Kings’ leadership group early in their WHL careers, with Griffen being named captain and Robertson earning an ‘A’ on his jersey for this season.
    http://whl.ca/video/growing-the-game...thew-robertson

Watching him play: He's not a complex player. He plays a very simple game. He makes good use of the boards when in trouble, and is solid with his breakout passes. He scored a goal while being the next wave on the attack; without hesitation, he snapped the puck while there was traffic in front of the goalie. My biggest observation, and it's not necessarily a criticism, but he is not a flashy player at all. Whether it's an issue of confidence or just lacking creativity, he's one of those players who won't be "fun" to watch. He also lost some battles in front of his own net. He doesn't initiate contact, but he doesn't shy from it, either; for lack of a better comparison, he projects to be similar to Derek Forbort.

Overall: Most people won't like the Forbort comparison. It's not meant to be a knock. He's a simple player who could be a regular mainstay on a defensive corps. I am not a big fan of using a first round pick on a defensive defenseman. I would be much more comfortable drafting a defensive defenseman in the third round or beyond. However, I don't think he'll pass the first round. Teams get too starry-eyed over big defensemen.

Video:
    Placeholder

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5074 Post(s)

I know folks want some goal scoring to cheer at, but this organization desperately needs high end defensive prospects asap.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    851 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    I know folks want some goal scoring to cheer at, but this organization desperately needs high end defensive prospects asap.
    Yep, people are getting caught up in this goal scoring issue (which is still a challenge) but they're averaging a little over 3 goals a game over the last 7 so they've picked that up a bit. It used to be a 3-2 league and unfortunately, our D is no longer on the "2" side regularly and are now more on the "4" side.

A game like last night is a game they would have historically won. The ongoing late goals, most recently vs Philly (a win) and the 'Nucks (a loss) are troubling and are another symptom of their diminishing returns on defense.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

The increase in scoring is league wide, not just us.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    Moritz Seider