Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

I'm hoping for Caufield as he's the best goal scorer in the draft by far and unless Byram is there at 5 I don't know how you pass on him?

Earl

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1281 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psych3man View Post
    What do you guys think of Brink at 22 if Kings get Bowen at 5?
    That's the mock in The Athletic. I'd be very happy. Brink is excellent. Either him or Tomasino would be great forwards if the Kings luck into Byram at #5. That would be an amazing day 1. I know Brink is a late birthday and I think Tomasino is too. I like drafting late birthday guys with the assumption they still have further upside. Brink is a potential very high ceiling.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    That's the mock in The Athletic. I'd be very happy. Brink is excellent. Either him or Tomasino would be great forwards if the Kings luck into Byram at #5. That would be an amazing day 1. I know Brink is a late birthday and I think Tomasino is too. I like drafting late birthday guys with the assumption they still have further upside. Brink is a potential very high ceiling.
    Put me down for the exact same thoughts. That's assuming Krebs, Newhook, and Seider are gone.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper9 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Dach and Cozens are the two they are on. depending on anyone falling.
    Yep, you can pretty much bank on it. Rosen posted the other day that one of Turcotte, Byram, Dach or Cozens will be an LA King. The "we have our mind up down to the last two guys unless someone falls" translates to if Byram and Turcotte are not available, the Kings will be drafting Kirby Dach. Future 1C and better skater than Vilardi, with a similar skill set.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    813 Post(s)

Default 2019 Entry Level Draft Thread

My thoughts:
    - disappointed work is flying me back home while the draft is going on le sigh.

Onto actual draft stuff though:
    - reading the tea leaves (and my own bias): the priority of the fifth overall pick is Turcotte, Byram, Dach, Cozens. So if Turcotte is available, they'll grab him. If not, they'll get Byram, etc.
    - At 22nd, there are natural scorers likely available. Many independent services have Caufield in the top half of the first round, but HockeyProspect editor Mark Edwards stated many scouts of NHL teams still don't have him in the first round. Kaliyev is all over the place, too.

The Kings didn't meet with Caufield at the combine, but they met him the week before.

Considering they didn't follow up with him at the Combine, I'm assuming the natural goal scorers for the Kings are ranked Kaliyev, Caufield, Brink.

- No idea on how they rank the defensemen after Byram. I know the Kings spoke with Harley. He has size, speed, and skill, which checks a lot of boxes. The rest, they get ranked all over. My last article with MayorsManor will be a defenseman who the Kings COULD be high on, but nothing which was shared with me. Just speculating based off what I see and evaluate, they probably rank the defense as: Byram, Seider, Harley, Broberg, Soderstrom, York, Heinola, Robertson, Bjornfot, Thomson

I would not be surprised if the Kings got one of these defensemen within their top 33 picks, but that's just my speculation and not any insider info.

- Jon Rosen alluded to the Kings drafting Spencer Knight or Dustin Wolf. I think this just means the cat's out of the bag and the Kings will draft a goalie (not necessarily one of them though). Again, no sources aside from tea leaves.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

Id be delighted with any of AT, BB,KD or DC at #5. At 22 im hoping we avoid Brink provided a skill guy with better skating is there. That part of the draft seems really wide open depending on how many Dmen get taken in the top 20. Brink's skating problems described by multiple sources sound foundational and we should have a shot at a real offensive weapon with some upside there. Interestingly, for pronman, Brinks ratings are exactly the same as Nick Robertson's who may have a better shot and who will probably go a little later. Alternatively, on D, Harley or York would be fantastic. FWIW, i could see our scouts loving Bjornfoot in the 2nd or even 3rd if he lasts.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3261 Post(s)

Yanetti breaks down the top choices.

https://theathletic.com/1028706/2019...picks-at-no-5/

They're really high on Cozens and Dach.

Cozens:

I like Cozens’ skating. When you look at him on the ice, he looks like this big hulking guy who could fly up and down the ice, but of all those guys you’re talking about in the top 10, he’s probably the least physically developed. His potential to develop into a power-oriented type body is probably the highest of any of the players there.He’s the furthest away from his ceiling. His skating is already good and when he gets strong it’s going to be even better. And the skating league like it is now, you see a guy who can skate like him and with his size and the way he gets his shot off, he might get 30 goals or so, around that area.
    Everything he does, he’s doing already. If he does nothing else but get older, he’s going to improve
    Dach:

I love his offensive instincts. He’s another guy who’s 6-foot-4, he’s going to be a monster when he fills out. He might have as much room to grow as Cozens, but he’s below the mid-level of his physical potential. His reach, the way he’s able to create shooting angles really well, he creates passing angles really well. He uses his mobile reach really well. There’s plenty of guys who have a long reach but don’t play long. He plays long.
    He carries offense. His skating is good and it’s only going to get better as he gets stronger. Guys that have good offensive instinct and good hockey sense tend to do very well in the league.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    Yanetti breaks down the top choices.

https://theathletic.com/1028706/2019...picks-at-no-5/

They're really high on Cozens and Dach.

Cozens:

Dach:
    I thought he was high on all of them, including Caufield. I think he doesn't expand on Turcotte and Byram that much because they're expected to go 3 and 4. I like the way he sells every player though. Makes me feel better about any of the picks.
    Last edited by thegreatone99; June 15th, 2019 at 07:05 PM.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    584 Post(s)

If they really wanted Caulfield, I would hope they trade #5 to Buffalo for #8 and #31. I think they would still be able to get him there.

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I think there is a chance BB falls to five. Both the Hawks and Avs are pretty deep with defenseman, I could see a scenario where Chicago takes Turcotte and the Avs go with Cozens.

Tomasino would be an awesome choice at #22.