Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    471 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/hocke...nt/c-301668292

The LA Kings have reached (due to the presence of compromising photography) a consulting agreement with Adam Oates, CEO of the Oates Sports Group.
    Oates will provide the Kings with advice regarding player skills evaluation and development

In 20 NHL seasons, Oates scored 341 goals and contributed a staggering 1,079 assists for a total of 1,420 points in 1,337 regular season NHL games. He also scored 42 goals and 114 assists for 156 points in 163 playoff contests.

In 2012, the outstanding playmaking skills of Adam Oates were recognized when he was elected for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

After retiring as a player, Oates served as an assistant coach for the Tampa Bay Lightning and New Jersey Devils prior to joining the Washington Capitals as their head coach for two seasons between 2012 and 2014. Oates then served as co-head coach of the Devils during the 2014-15 season.
    No other possible explanation.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1497 Post(s)

I like this. Oates has different ideas about how players can increase their skills. Kings record of development shows they need the help. Should also hire dedicated skating coaches.
    Kubrick
    The Kings roster is like a late stage game of Tetris. What they really need is a long skinny piece but all we keep getting are Kyle Clifford and Nate Thompson shaped blocks.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    533 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgs View Post
    Well this is a head scratchier. Oates is going to evaluate and tell Willie how to use the players on the ice. I always thought that was the head coaches job.
    No, he'll give advice. That's different.

It's like with learning in school, or with projects at work...the more people (with some level of knowledge and problem solving skills and general compatibility of the team, of course), the better and quicker solutions you find.

I think the Kings have been searching for "the right team" of staff for quite a while now. It seems to me it's not just the players that have grown stale. Maybe it's the staff team not working as a cohesive unit. too. Maybe Stevens was a fine coach, but wasn't able to manage other coaches and staff members, leading to general distrust and poor mood within the team. Maybe that's what got to him and the players...which could explain why there are 3 new faces within a few days.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)

This move, or hiring, comes across as supplementing Willie's possible shortcomings.

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1261 Post(s)
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

User formerly known as

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1497 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg33 View Post
    This move, or hiring, comes across as supplementing Willie's possible shortcomings.
    Oates isn't about coaching, he's about player development. Individual skills. Like a goalie coach. Quarterback coach. Shooting coach in the nba.
    I much prefer someone with outside ideas than the former Kings retirement plan.
    Kubrick
    The Kings roster is like a late stage game of Tetris. What they really need is a long skinny piece but all we keep getting are Kyle Clifford and Nate Thompson shaped blocks.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)

Oates has some impressive clientele like guys like McJesus and Scheifele. Maybe he'll help them untap some creativity in individual players' games. He was on the Spittin' Chiclets podcast about a month ago, and I found him really engaging and thoughtful when he described tiny nuances of the game that players might not be emphasizing. I'm all for this hire in effort to elevate the offense.

https://oilersnation.com/2015/12/16/...-skills-coach/

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1648 Post(s)

I'll take it. Anything to get a fresh perspective on this team.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    438 Post(s)

Great hire. One of the all time great passers in the game and great offensive mind.

46 & 2
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soyokaze View Post
    Oates has some impressive clientele like guys like McJesus and Scheifele. Maybe he'll help them untap some creativity in individual players' games. He was on the Spittin' Chiclets podcast about a month ago, and I found him really engaging and thoughtful when he described tiny nuances of the game that players might not be emphasizing. I'm all for this hire in effort to elevate the offense.

https://oilersnation.com/2015/12/16/...-skills-coach/

I too heard the Spittin Chicklets interview. His clientele is impressive! Of course, the armchair GM's of LGK know better though....
    Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!