Retired Popo now Mr. Mom
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)

Default RIP VCSD Sgt. Ron Helus Killed in Thousand Oaks Nightclub Shooting

Thousand Oaks Shooting: VCSD Sergeant Ron Helus was a hard working, dedicated and died a hero......

A sheriff's sergeant who was on the verge of retirement was killed in the shooting at Borderline nightclub in Thousand Oaks, California, Wednesday.

Sgt. Ron Helus, 54, of Moorpark, was the first victim identified. Helus, who served on the force for 29 years, is survived by a wife and son. Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said Helus "was looking to retire within the next year or so."

Please say a prayer for Sgt. Helus, his family & friends and all of my brothers and sisters at VCSD. Sgt. Helus died a warrior running into the club to stop the shooting.

He said Helus had spoken to his wife before responding to the shooting, as he often did multiple times during his shift. Dean said he told her, "Hey, gotta go handle a call, I love you, I'll talk to you later."
    This really hits close to home as I would often call Mrs Slomo during a shift from my car when the radio went off and I had to cut the call short and respond to a hot call. Thankfully I always was able to call her again later and then arrive home in the morning to get Jr ready for school.

RIP Sgt. Helus .
    We are the Samurai, the warrior elite who protect and serve. Armed and armored from head to toe, masters of our personal weapons and bound by Honor, Duty, Loyalty, and Honesty. We walk the long path into the places society would prefer forgotten, and chase those demons that most would run from screaming in fear. We are the Samurai.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Most definitely will do...almost ready to retire, great career behind him, what a shame.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    349 Post(s)

RIP everyone who died in that shooting.