All Star
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2029 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    Value doesn't diminish over a couple of months.
    It did for Carter.
    Could have had a Kings ransom over the summer for him.

Now, not so much.

...heck even with Quick....that additional knee injury/surgery on his list doesn't help his value.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2149 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsfan44 View Post
    Quick's contract is not attractive...but you never know what other teams would do.

You think the tandum of Jack Campbell and/or Cal Peterson can get the job done? Peterson has played pretty solid over the small sampling of NHL games played.

If they keep Peterson, he might be the answer in goal in five years or someone else comes along. We need to look five seasons down the road before this team might be a playoff team again. Should have a few pretty good picks by then?

Muzzin, Toffoli,, Martinez, Carter and Clifford will probably be gone by the deadline or by next season.
    Last edited by Ice24; December 7th, 2018 at 02:36 PM.

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ice24 View Post
    If they keep Peterson, he might be the answer in goal in five years or someone else comes along. We need to look five seasons down the road before this team might be a playoff team again. Should have a few pretty good picks by then?

Muzzin, Toffoli,, Martinez, Carter and Clifford will probably be gone by the deadline or by next season.
    If we keep shopping the waiver wire for underperforming previous (high) draft picks, some of our older bottom 6 will get kicked to the curb.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4852 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    It did for Carter.
    Could have had a Kings ransom over the summer for him.

Now, not so much.

...heck even with Quick....that additional knee injury/surgery on his list doesn't help his value.
    We have no idea what Carter's value is, but a GM looking for a perrenial 60 point threat on an extremely cheap cash deal isn't going to be deterred by three months of half production on a team that's imploding.

Pearson was dealt for nothing but space. An old third liner who may bring in a late 3rd round pick. That's Blake's folly. He prioritized the cap space over a decent return. We have no idea what else he could have received in a "hockey" deal.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Next time they fly across our northern border I say we should pack the plane with hillbilly heroin and morals clause them all....just sayin'.

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1751 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    Carter and Muzzin are probably the top candidates, with AMart close behind. Quick will be tough to trade, although he should be.
    I think AMart is the top candidate. Muzzin is playing like horse****. Carter is no longer the Carter of years past. His injury last year coupled with his age has zapped his speed a bit and his motor no longer has the same pick up. At times, its like he's skating in quick drying cement, and others he's just not moving his feet. That's not the Carter of 2012-2014.

If we keep shopping the waiver wire for underperforming previous (high) draft picks, some of our older bottom 6 will get kicked to the curb.
    The way the first one turned out, keep doing it.

We have no idea what Carter's value is, but a GM looking for a perrenial 60 point threat on an extremely cheap cash deal isn't going to be deterred by three months of half production on a team that's imploding.
    There's 18 months and a major leg injury since those 60 point years. I'd love to get a 1st Round Pick and Prospect for him, but the reality is I think I'd just prefer to be rid of the cap hit and take whatever else I we can get.

Pearson was dealt for nothing but space. An old third liner who may bring in a late 3rd round pick. That's Blake's folly. He prioritized the cap space over a decent return. We have no idea what else he could have received in a "hockey" deal.
    Cap space is everything now. The Leafs are going to wind up losing at least one of Gardiner, Matthews, or Marner if not two because of it, and they haven't even taken them past the first round.
    Last edited by Birdman; December 7th, 2018 at 04:59 PM.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

All Star
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2029 Post(s)

On the contrary, Carter appears to have never recovered from his injury. The past couple of months make it appear as if he will never be the same.
    Carter has never been one to loaf it. The past couple of months are a HUGE measure for most GM's when it comes to injured players that now have a "history" and may/will never recover to their former selves.

If Carter was dealt over the summer his value would have been much higher than now, same for Quick.
    These injuries have lowered their value.

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I think AMart is the top candidate. Muzzin is playing like horse****. Carter is no longer the Carter of years past. His injury last year coupled with his age has zapped his speed a bit and his motor no longer has the same pick up. At times, its like he's skating in quick drying cement, and others he's just not moving his feet. That's not the Carter of 2012-2014.

The way the first one turned out, keep doing it.

There's 18 months and a major leg injury since those 60 point years. I'd love to get a 1st Round Pick and Prospect for him, but the reality is I think I'd just prefer to be rid of the cap hit and take whatever else I we can get.

Cap space is everything now. The Leafs are going to wind up losing at least one of Gardiner, Matthews, or Marner if not two because of it, and they haven't even taken them past the last round.
    Would it come as a complete shock/surprise if Drew Doughty was traded? Based on his frustrations and compete level, do you think he really wants to spend his remaining years with "rebuildy the bear" in LA?

Same question above applies to Kopitar as well....do you think he wants to stay through a rebuild as well?

In other words, does the "core" actually want to be here anymore? The core has alot of anchor contracts (with NMC) but I'm wondering if more personnel are going to be traded than the usual suspects discussed on here (i.e, muzzin, Carter, tofolli, amart, etc.).
    Last edited by Kingsfan44; December 7th, 2018 at 03:37 PM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    492 Post(s)

Would it come as a complete shock/surprise if Drew Doughty was traded? Based on his frustrations and compete level, do you think he really wants to spend his remaining years with "rebuildy the bear" in LA?

Same question above applies to Kopitar as well....do you think he wants to stay through a rebuild as well?

In other words, does the "core" actually want to be here anymore? The core has alot of anchor contracts (with NMC) but I'm wondering if more personnel are going to be traded than the usual suspects discussed on here (i.e, muzzin, Carter, tofolli, amart, etc.).
    Living on the beach in So. Cal. can be a mighty incentive.

All Star
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2029 Post(s)

If they don't want to be here, all they have to do is let be known that they want to be traded, and drop the NMC.
    Until then, they love that SoCal beachfront lifestyle, and public life anonymity that comes with being an NHL player in Los Angeles.