Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Team LGK
    LetTigerIn's Avatar
    Karma: 1391000
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    765 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post


    Maybe, I should read that Snagglepuss comic.
    Heavens to Murgatroyd, yes!

  2. #12
    Team LGK
    LetTigerIn's Avatar
    Karma: 1391000
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    765 Post(s)

    Default

    Personally, I thought it was a really solid year for movies. I saw A LOT of movies in 2018! Yay! Yet, there are still a bunch more I suspect would be among my faves that I've yet to see.

    That in mind, three in particular share the top right now for me:

    If Beale Street Could Talk
    The Favourite
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (favorite animated movie of the year)

    It's a little hard for me to track, because I started off with a plain list for the first half of the year, but I started scoring things in the second half.

    Here are some other films I enjoyed in 2018:

    The Sisters Brothers
    Free Solo (favorite documentary of the year)
    You Were Never Really Here
    First Reformed
    Eighth Grade
    American Animals
    Paddington 2
    Vice

    At Eternity's Gate
    Green Book
    Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    First Man
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Christopher Robin
    Puzzle
    Leave No Trace
    Blindspotting
    Pick of the Litter
    Annihilation
    A Quiet Place
    Black Panther
    Let the Corpses Tan
    Solo: A Star Wars Story (yeah, I know I'm the only one)
    Aquaman (yeah, I know I'm among few here, too)
    Isle of Dogs
    Deadpool 2
    How to Talk to Girls at Parties
    Three Identical Strangers
    Won't You Be My Neighbor?
    RBG
    Ready Player One
    Searching
    Skate Kitchen
    We Are Animals
    Thoroughbreds
    Red Sparrow (I'm probably in a minority here, too)
    The Endless
    Unsane
    Hereditary
    Sorry to Bother You (liked this a lot)
    The Bleeding Edge
    Bad Times at the El Royale
    Suspiria
    Colette
    A Star is Born
    Vox Lux
    Ben is Back
    Border
    Anna and the Apocalypse
    Monsters and Men


    I've only watched half of Buster Scruggs so far, but I've liked the first three chapters. I need to see Roma, Burning, Life and Nothing More, A Bread Factory, Stan and Ollie, and Destroyer, at least.

    Hm. Maybe I should pare this down a bit.

    Maybe.

  3. #13
    I put the D in RICHARSON
    Luc SkyBomba's Avatar
    Karma: 1656000
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,888
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    523 Post(s)

    Default

    Oh was The Endless 2018? I saw it too and it flippin ruled.

  4. #14
    Taxi Squad
    What party?'s Avatar
    Karma: 3148000
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)

    Default

    Wow, Tiger, you were not kidding around last year. Going to the movies is not my jam, so I only went to the movies three times last year and my friends chose (specifically girls’ night picks) the movies. No comment. And none of the ones I watched last year were on your list, rightfully so, lols.



    Crazy Rich Asians (supporting minorities in the arts. Yay!)- the love story was meh, whateves;

    The sequel to the prequel of Harry Potter with those CGI animals- Kill me;

    Mama Mia 2- totally drunk prior (did not see the first one), fell asleep, woke up when Cher sang “Fernando”.



    Question: I really wanted to see some of those movies on your list, do you mind if I pick your brain about one: Three Identical Strangers. Is it too sad for a super sensitive person to watch? Did the government get sanctioned? What was the take away?

  5. #15
    Team LGK
    LetTigerIn's Avatar
    Karma: 1391000
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    765 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    Question: I really wanted to see some of those movies on your list, do you mind if I pick your brain about one: Three Identical Strangers. Is it too sad for a super sensitive person to watch? Did the government get sanctioned? What was the take away?

    I never heard the original story when it happened, so every bit of it was a surprise to me. Definitely among my top 5 documentaries of the year. So, you probably know the story goes beyond just the brothers reuniting with each other. And, FWIW, that in itself is just an amazing, wonderful story. I do think there are aspects of it that are really sad, but that's just one aspect of it. It's also uplifting, infuriating, and most of all mind-bending-ly fascinating. There's no way to neatly tie up their situation, I think, especially considering there are many players in the story, and their outcomes vary with lives that continue beyond the film. So, the take away will probably vary a lot. Personally, though, I consider seeing and hearing them share their unfathomable story time well spent.

    That list is maybe 1/4 of the films I saw from last year. I'd probably add a couple to the list now, but I'm not going to go back yet.
    Last edited by LetTigerIn; January 11th, 2019 at 05:17 PM.

  6. #16
    Team LGK
    LetTigerIn's Avatar
    Karma: 1391000
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    765 Post(s)

    Default

    Meanwhile, I noticed that Free Solo is back on IMAX in Burbank. It may be so in other large format cinemas as well. I recommend catching this documentary on a large screen, if possible.

  7. #17
    SHOOT!
    Butch 19's Avatar
    Karma: 1636300
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,436
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    331 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LetTigerIn View Post


    I've only watched half of Buster Scruggs so far, but I've liked the first three chapters.

    .

    Once we started this, we had to finish. One of the best of the year. I only wish I could watch them again for the first time - they were that good

  8. #18
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    jerseydevil's Avatar
    Karma: 19116756
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    49,812
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4500 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LetTigerIn View Post
    Personally, I thought it was a really solid year for movies. I saw A LOT of movies in 2018! Yay! Yet, there are still a bunch more I suspect would be among my faves that I've yet to see.

    That in mind, three in particular share the top right now for me:

    If Beale Street Could Talk
    The Favourite
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (favorite animated movie of the year)

    It's a little hard for me to track, because I started off with a plain list for the first half of the year, but I started scoring things in the second half.

    Here are some other films I enjoyed in 2018:

    The Sisters Brothers
    Free Solo (favorite documentary of the year)
    You Were Never Really Here
    First Reformed
    Eighth Grade
    American Animals
    Paddington 2
    Vice

    At Eternity's Gate
    Green Book
    Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    First Man
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Christopher Robin
    Puzzle
    Leave No Trace
    Blindspotting
    Pick of the Litter
    Annihilation
    A Quiet Place
    Black Panther
    Let the Corpses Tan
    Solo: A Star Wars Story (yeah, I know I'm the only one)
    Aquaman (yeah, I know I'm among few here, too)
    Isle of Dogs
    Deadpool 2
    How to Talk to Girls at Parties
    Three Identical Strangers
    Won't You Be My Neighbor?
    RBG
    Ready Player One
    Searching
    Skate Kitchen
    We Are Animals
    Thoroughbreds
    Red Sparrow (I'm probably in a minority here, too)
    The Endless
    Unsane
    Hereditary
    Sorry to Bother You (liked this a lot)
    The Bleeding Edge
    Bad Times at the El Royale
    Suspiria
    Colette
    A Star is Born
    Vox Lux
    Ben is Back
    Border
    Anna and the Apocalypse
    Monsters and Men


    I've only watched half of Buster Scruggs so far, but I've liked the first three chapters. I need to see Roma, Burning, Life and Nothing More, A Bread Factory, Stan and Ollie, and Destroyer, at least.

    Hm. Maybe I should pare this down a bit.

    Maybe.
    wow, you chose(?) to pass on Suspiria? Or just wasn't worth mentioning? And you never got to see Border?


    #ISTANDWITHJAMESGUNN

  9. #19
    Team LGK
    LetTigerIn's Avatar
    Karma: 1391000
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    765 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    wow, you chose(?) to pass on Suspiria? Or just wasn't worth mentioning? And you never got to see Border?
    They're both in the list. Liked them both.

  10. #20
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    jerseydevil's Avatar
    Karma: 19116756
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    49,812
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4500 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LetTigerIn View Post
    They're both in the list. Liked them both.
    Oh snap, they are. Apologies


    #ISTANDWITHJAMESGUNN

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •