Your Favorite vBookie
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1003 Post(s)

Default New Earthquake Early Warning App for LA Released

For those of you who live/work/hang out in LA County, the City of LA has released the new early warning app. Please download it today! It could save your life.

A few things to note:

The app only works if your phone is in LA County.
    The app must know your phone's location in order to calculate your distance from the epicenter and whether you will feel damaging shaking.
    The app remains dormant until an earthquake greater than 5.0 occurs that may cause damage in LA County.
    Other countries have been using this type of system for years. Note that there are false warnings and other minor negatives that can occur, but a few seconds' notice of incoming seismic waves is worth it.

A coalition of agencies, universities, and geonerds is working on a statewide app to be released this year. I think it's called QuakeAlert. When it is released, I'll post a link.

https://www.lacity.org/blog/download...arning-app-now

This is also a great time to update your earthquake kits. You know, the ones you have at home and in your car. No earthquake kit? The app has some links to help you put one together. Get on that, the Big One will happen!

Kings season be like...
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    731 Post(s)

I must have downloaded the wrong app.
    I BELIEVE I'll have another beer!