Thread: Issues With A Full Rebuild

Bring on Vancouver!
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1205 Post(s)

I hear Dean Lombardi is good at rebuilds.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5074 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ice24 View Post
    Blake made a mistake with Kovy, what GM has not made a mistake signing guys that were a little older but still showed some promise? He will tear down this team as he should and will have about 6 Vets that won’t be moved due to their contracts. In five years only two or three Vets will remain on the team. Let’s see what happens in 2024-2025. If they are not in the playoffs by then, start to worry! What’s the rush? Fans will always question what an organization does in terms of personnel decisions. I believe only four teams have won cups this decade, so fans of 26 or 27 teams have been in agony and losing their minds.
    Five years is an eternity in sports. And don't forget the mind blowingly stupid Phaneuf trade.

Or that Muzzin, Anderson-Dolan and the Akil Thomas pick were headed to MTL if Pacioretty would have accepted a 6 x 6 retirement deal.

This front office has proven that they could not read the terrain. The only positive - literally - is that they held on to their picks.

I don't rattle, kid.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USCKingsFan31 View Post
    When he starts with a young franchise Center and Goalie in the pipeline, absolutely.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5074 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kubrick View Post
    When he starts with a young franchise Center and Goalie in the pipeline, absolutely.
    Lombardi's staff built Quick into the player he is today. He deserves credit for creating a coaching staff that turned goaltending from an organizational weakness into a strength.

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    419 Post(s)

The positive thing is that nobody in the organization is using the term "championship core" anymore. That was the false filter through which all decisions were being made up until say, a month ago?

But there is still a much smaller and healthier "leadership core" to be maintained, and they definitely don't need 5 years to START competing. They'll need to be competing for the playoffs, and in the playoffs, before all of the dinosaur contracts are gone, so that a few years later when all that junk is off the books, they'll have a young core that is actually ready to win something. You can't just finish bottom 5 until you have a great team and the next season win it all.

- Graduate their existing prospects at projected levels, draft top 5 this year, and accumulate additional first round picks.
    - Get rid of obsolete players (some of whom are not actually over 30 or on bad deals).
    - Find innovative, era-appropriate coaching.
    - Keep Kopitar and Doughty healthy and motivated.
    - Begin improving on their own merits as soon as possible.

Do not finish in the bottom 5 multiple times. That's how losers are created.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)

I'm not liking the Vilardi pick anymore (the pick, not the player!!). It's clear now that his draft position dropped to Blake because of his injury issues (ranked #4 , dropped to #11).

It was risky and nothing wrong with making a risky pick, but it was the wrong time for Luc's LA Kings to make one.

A hell of a stupid dumb risk by Blake when you consider the first rounders Lombardi had dealt away over the previous 2 drafts.

I've already booked Feb. 25 off it's Judgment Day for Blake. This is the only issue, or question for a "Full Rebuild"

I don't rattle, kid.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    Lombardi's staff built Quick into the player he is today. He deserves credit for creating a coaching staff that turned goaltending from an organizational weakness into a strength.
    Nature vs. nurture

You can’t develop a franchise goaltender out of thin air. Quick might not become Quick in a different organization but that great development staff couldn’t turn Bernier into anything more than a career backup.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    604 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USCKingsFan31 View Post

If he could just learn to play moneyball, I wouldn't mind bringing him back.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5074 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kubrick View Post
    Nature vs. nurture

You can’t develop a franchise goaltender out of thin air. Quick might not become Quick in a different organization but that great development staff couldn’t turn Bernier into anything more than a career backup.
    Bernier, Scrivens, Jones, Budaj, Petersen, all terrific in Los Angeles.

Quick was a dumb kid who slept through meetings until given proper coaching.

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2175 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CUP4LA View Post
    If he could just learn to play moneyball, I wouldn't mind bringing him back.
    Deano was his own worst enemy.