2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Default Issues With A Full Rebuild

I think most of us on this board had to come to the realization that this team needs to rebuild before the Kings did. However, I have two very large concerns with the concept:

1. All this talk about adding speed and skill, but the significant decline of the Kings this year is because their defense has fallen apart. We need to start developing some high end defensive prospects (no Kale Clague isn't one) just to get back to being competitive again. I feel like being overly focused on skill is going to hinder us in the long-run.

2. If this is really a full tear down, are Blake and Robitaille really the guys for the job? Whether you blame them or not for where the team is today, this was clearly not their vision when they took over the team, and for that reason, you have to wonder if those are the guys you want to tear it down and rebuild.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5074 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by omzzzzz View Post
    I think most of us on this board had to come to the realization that this team needs to rebuild before the Kings did. However, I have two very large concerns with the concept:

1. All this talk about adding speed and skill, but the significant decline of the Kings this year is because their defense has fallen apart. We need to start developing some high end defensive prospects (no Kale Clague isn't one) just to get back to being competitive again. I feel like being overly focused on skill is going to hinder us in the long-run.

2. If this is really a full tear down, are Blake and Robitaille really the guys for the job? Whether you blame them or not for where the team is today, this was clearly not their vision when they took over the team, and for that reason, you have to wonder if those are the guys you want to tear it down and rebuild.
    I completely agree about the need for a high end defensive prospect. High end skill is needed throughout the lineup, but the Vilardi setback has to be a major concern. The Kings cannot afford to take anything other than THE best player available at any position with their 2019 picks. Hopefully we will Muzzin and others dealt to augment those selections or bring in a high end prospect to mitigate those short fallings.

And no, those two made decisions just as poor, if not worse, than those made by Lombardi over his last 18 months. I have no faith in them, but... if they do dedicate their efforts towards a rebuild, they haven't proven that they cannot succeed, so I doubt a change will get made. Shame is, Blake could have used his appointment as the tough medicine to right the ship. If he came in, acknowledges the problems, and addressed them, he could have bought a lot of time and support from the fan base. Instead he added two years of treading water (and sinking).

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2172 Post(s)

Well, Luc and Rob are NOT the guys you want for the rebuild.

IMHO they are good soldiers doing the bidding of their boss: Dan.

The past two seasons have been a bust, especially this one. Blake has shown that nearly every choice he has made for the current state of the club has been a bust from coaches to players.
    Blake should be fired. Luc is the guy who would fire Blake. Blake would be the fall guy and Luc would keep his gig. However, I would be shocked if Luc would toss his buddy Blake under the bus.
    However business is business as they say, and if Luc does not make a fall guy out of Blake, then Dan may come and clean house for both Luc and Blake. (I don't see that happening)

I could see the organization standing pat with Luc and Rob for another season, but that may well be disastrous in terms of the fans going nuts about it.

The scenario I would hope for is a brand new GM from outside of the Kings, and he brings in his coaching staff and starts moving the player pieces over the summer.

The parallels stories of both of AEG's teams (Galaxy and Kings) falling from the top of the league after multiple championships are very similar.
    Coach roulette, inept management, profit over winning.

The ray of sunshine is that it appears Galaxy have turned it around this season with real tip-top outside of the organization GM and coaching.
    With Dan seeing the wreckage at Galaxy and finally moving forward with a "fix" there, I can hope he will do the same with the other AEG team he oversees....the Kings.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    814 Post(s)

Default Issues With A Full Rebuild

Hopefully Blake can trade Muzzin for a defensive prospect + a first (like Juulsen, Addison, or Liljegren).

I'm not very high on any of any of the defensive prospects relative to the forward prospects.

I do believe the Kings still need to improve their development program. Getting good defensive prospects is a good step. Revamping how the Kings develop these players is most important, long term.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

I'd take Hextall in a heartbeat.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    586 Post(s)

we don't need another goalie.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    380 Post(s)

We definitely need some young hungry to prove puck moving defenseman . Back in 2012 kings had Martinez and voynov stepping up.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3267 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by omzzzzz View Post

I don't think anyone has been suggesting that the need for skill in the lineup is limited to forwards. Skill on the back end is needed at least as much, if not more, than skill up front. Offense starts at the defensive end. Skill is not just a scoring touch, Skill is being able to carry the puck out of the defensive end. Skill is being to hit a streaking forward with a pass on the tape. And in the modern NHL, you need defensemen with both speed and skill. So a "high end defensive prospect" = skill and speed.
    Last edited by santiclaws; January 21st, 2019 at 09:25 PM.

I don't rattle, kid.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2371 Post(s)

Everyone laughed at Nashville for taking D men in the early rounds every draft. Now who’s laughing?

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2216 Post(s)

Blake made a mistake with Kovy, what GM has not made a mistake signing guys that were a little older but still showed some promise? He will tear down this team as he should and will have about 6 Vets that won’t be moved due to their contracts. In five years only two or three Vets will remain on the team. Let’s see what happens in 2024-2025. If they are not in the playoffs by then, start to worry! What’s the rush? Fans will always question what an organization does in terms of personnel decisions. I believe only four teams have won cups this decade, so fans of 26 or 27 teams have been in agony and losing their minds.
    Last edited by Ice24; January 22nd, 2019 at 02:35 PM.