Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    498 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Deano was his own worst enemy.
    A recent article in the Seattle Times concerning the expansion team hiring a GM this summer instead of next made mention of Lombardi possibly being considered. I am still shuddering three days later.

I don't rattle, kid.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2350 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    Bernier, Scrivens, Jones, Budaj, Petersen, all terrific in Los Angeles.

Quick was a dumb kid who slept through meetings until given proper coaching.
    If it were possible to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, Bernier would've never had a chance to confuse Nelson Mandela with Major Nelson on that red carpet in Toronto cuz we all know the Kings brass wanted nothing more than to hand him the keys to the franchise from day 1. All the coaching in the world couldn't fix his problems.

Yes Quick was a longshot to ever sniff the league but ignoring his freakish athleticism combined with a type a personality completely undersells why a kid with zero discipline was ever even drafted in the first place. Ranford and Co. deserve tons of praise for their work with him but Jon had to find a way to flip the switch inside himself something Jon B never figured out how to do.

And for all the praise that's been heaped on the Kings goalie pipeline, that group has developed exactly two full time starters at the NHL level over the past 13 years for a whole slew of reasons. Certainly not bad but lets pump the brakes. Garbage in, garbage out.

I don't rattle, kid.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2350 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post
    A recent article in the Seattle Times concerning the expansion team hiring a GM this summer instead of next made mention of Lombardi possibly being considered. I am still shuddering three days later.
    Assuming Seattle ends up in the Pacific, I'd love nothing more than to see him reunited with a Leiweke.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1537 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post
    Disagree.
    Lombardi rebuilt the Kings organization from top to bottom. Direct link to Cup success. Seattle could do much, much worse.
    Now maintaining that success . . . not so much.
    Kubrick
    The Kings roster is like a late stage game of Tetris. What they really need is a long skinny piece but all we keep getting are Kyle Clifford and Nate Thompson shaped blocks.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    498 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Disagree.
    Lombardi rebuilt the Kings organization from top to bottom. Direct link to Cup success. Seattle could do much, much worse.
    Now maintaining that success . . . not so much.
    Lombardi was the perfect choice for the Kings at that point in the NHL. But as has been thrashed up and down, inside and out here on this forum, after building a very fine team, he made errors of judgement on contracts and asset management. I would vastly prefer that they find someone who has not made those mistakes, and who has his/her pulse on the game as it is currently played.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)

All GMs make mistakes. DL made some early on with Hickey and Beach Ball. Obviously the hits outpaced the misses up until 2014. After 2014, I can't think of any significant decisions that he got right.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4884 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kubrick View Post
    If it were possible to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, Bernier would've never had a chance to confuse Nelson Mandela with Major Nelson on that red carpet in Toronto cuz we all know the Kings brass wanted nothing more than to hand him the keys to the franchise from day 1. All the coaching in the world couldn't fix his problems.

Yes Quick was a longshot to ever sniff the league but ignoring his freakish athleticism combined with a type a personality completely undersells why a kid with zero discipline was ever even drafted in the first place. Ranford and Co. deserve tons of praise for their work with him but Jon had to find a way to flip the switch inside himself something Jon B never figured out how to do.

And for all the praise that's been heaped on the Kings goalie pipeline, that group has developed exactly two full time starters at the NHL level over the past 13 years for a whole slew of reasons. Certainly not bad but lets pump the brakes. Garbage in, garbage out.
    You are making my point for me. The only thing that matters to the LA Kings is how their goaltenders perform for the LA Kings. Doesn't matter one bit how well they do once they leave.

Bernier was the team's best goalie in 2013. Scrivens and Jones more than held down the fort for Quick while he was injured. Budaj was remarkable until they screwed up and brought Bishop in, ultimately missing the playoffs.

All of those goalies played their best hockey in Los Angeles, all under Ranford and the team's staunch defense structure put in place under Lombardi. He deserves that credit.

Hell, Enroth is the only goalie in Quick's era here who didn't post better numbers than he did. Numbers don't mean much, but they do point to an organizational success rather than the play of one individual.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    725 Post(s)

Hell, Enroth is the only goalie in Quick's era here who didn't post better numbers than he did. Numbers don't mean much, but they do point to an organizational success rather than the play of one individual.
    Zatkoff, too, but I agree with your overall point.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4884 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    Zatkoff, too, but I agree with your overall point.
    Zatkoff should count too, since he was developed here. My thinking was that short-timers like he and Bishop weren't here long enough to be affected by Ranford and Co, but yeah, he should count as well since he was in Ontario during his second run in the organization.

I don't rattle, kid.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2350 Post(s)

You are making my point for me. The only thing that matters to the LA Kings is how their goaltenders perform for the LA Kings. Doesn't matter one bit how well they do once they leave.

Bernier was the team's best goalie in 2013. Scrivens and Jones more than held down the fort for Quick while he was injured. Budaj was remarkable until they screwed up and brought Bishop in, ultimately missing the playoffs.

All of those goalies played their best hockey in Los Angeles, all under Ranford and the team's staunch defense structure put in place under Lombardi. He deserves that credit.

Lombardi and his staff have gotten more than their fair share of praise. Removing a player's agency in his own development, especially when that player is on track to end up in the hall of fame, is far too reductionist for my tastes.

Is Jonathan Quick a system goalie?
    Last edited by Kubrick; January 27th, 2019 at 03:08 PM.